Little hub study related to heart rates

Saved on sheet.

Why does this feel like a competition, even tho i know it isn't. Wahaaaa.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great.. thanks guys and girls!!

I will get all the data sorted and then this afternoon we'll investigate the first question; what is the relationship between age and max. hr.

One way of doing it is to say that our null hypothesis (H0) would be Age factor = 0 (meaning no influence on Mhr). If <> 0 and statistically significant we can say Age does impact Mhr.

We can also look at a few studies to hopefully confirm our analysis and also look at the linear regression (what line/formula best fits with the data).

Will report back this evening! And please correct me if I'm doing something wrong or if you can explain things better. I'm learning here.

Great.. thanks guys and girls!!

I will get all the data sorted and then this afternoon we'll investigate the first question; what is the relationship between age and max. hr.

One way of doing it is to say that our null hypothesis (H0) would be Age factor = 0 (meaning no influence on Mhr). If <> 0 and statistically significant we can say Age does impact Mhr.

We can also look at a few studies to hopefully confirm our analysis and also look at the linear regression (what line/formula best fits with the data).

Will report back this evening! And please correct me if I'm doing something wrong or if you can explain things better. I'm learning here.

Well, whatever you find, you can inform Discovery! :)

Regarding the question whether age can predict maximum heart rate? Answer seems to be NO!

- Sample of n = 100

- Average (mean) age = 40.8 years +- 9.4 (one standard deviation)

- Average (mean) max. hr = 186.2 bpm +- 12.5 (one standard deviation)

Summary output in the attached graph (click to see everything), but in summary:

- Only 9.5% of maximum heart rate can be explained by age

- Results are statistically significant

post-12446-0-08845900-1472915561_thumb.jpg

To show why the 220 - age formula (or as we'll see, any formula) is bollocks, just take a look at the scatter-plot of max hr and age and how diverse it is. Linear regression tries to draw the most perfect line through all those points and we then get to the red line/formula as on the graph. But, in the second graph you can see the residuals (how far the actual data is different from the formula we created as depicted by zero 'line').

post-12446-0-67664800-1472915836_thumb.jpg

post-12446-0-47680000-1472915844_thumb.jpg

A formula for max. hr based on age is kind of like looking at the average babies per mother being 2.5, but NOBODY has 2.5 babies! Thus, the formula/line can be nicely in the 'middle', but look on the previous graphs how everybody's results differ!

Look at this study "The Myth of Maximum Heart Rate = 220 - Age" http://sistemas.eeferp.usp.br/myron/arquivos/3396411/14aae49419c90ebb0002f7d55e4c0a57.pdf

-  This [220 - age] formula is often quoted without any warning about its potential inaccuracy, and in addition to the inaccuracy, it turns out it has little scientific basis [Kolata, 2003].

- A recent review of many attempts to come up with a formula to predict max heart rate concluded that no sufficient accurate formula exists to predict max heart rate from age alone [Robergs, 2002]. In my opinion none is possible because of the large amount of scatter in the data

Edit: Fixed the link

Andydude keep in mind you dont have a representative sample here, so the conclusions you come up with here are not transferable to a a different population, e.g. the general public.

I think everybody agrees that the age formula is bollocks. Even the guy who came up with it noted that it was never intended to be a hard rule

Also in the data you graphed there does seem to be a reasonably strong negative correlation between age.

Andydude keep in mind you dont have a representative sample here, so the conclusions you come up with here are not transferable to a a different population, e.g. the general public.

I think everybody agrees that the age formula is bollocks. Even the guy who came up with it noted that it was never intended to be a hard rule

Yes, good point!

Archived