Giant Propel Brakes Issue

button

Hey Guys,

I have just put 25mm tyres on my propel (2015 Propel Advanced SL 2). Problem is that when the breaks are under load the cable of the back V-brake rubs on the tyre. I only noticed this the other day... a few weeks after putting the tyres on...

I have done plenty research and it seems that this is a genuine issue with the propel frame. It makes little sense to me that Giant would make such an advanced frame and not provision for bigger tyres? Anyway...

I have taken the bike to my local bike worskshop and we tried to adjust the breaks to allow for more clearnace. It seemed to work, leaving a paper thin slice of daylight between the tyre and the cable when the brakes are under load. A few rides later I was back at sqaure one...

So my first question is doesn anyone have a solution to this problem?

I saw the Alpecin team ride the same frame but they have installed Fouriers V-brakes on the riders bikes and they aslo ride 25mm vittoria. Google says the Fouriers breaks provide more clearance that the standard Giant TRP V-brake. So my second question is does anyone know where I can source Fouriers brakes...

Hope someone can help... this is starting to annoy me.

Cheers!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can remember reading on other forums, the only real long term solution was replacing the brakesets...

As for sourcing Fouriers - not a clue

From what I can remember reading on other forums, the only real long term solution was replacing the brakesets...

As for sourcing Fouriers - not a clue

Yeah after plenty of reading I figured it would be the only option... other than adjusting the brakes every week :/

Really annoying that Giant didnt think about this...

Yeah after plenty of reading I figured it would be the only option... other than adjusting the brakes every week :/

Really annoying that Giant didnt think about this...

I was considering a new road bike upgrade to the propel earlier this year, but this issue swayed me... pitty, as I really like the propel

It's around R2.5k to upgrade both brakes to the new spec with longer levers. 25mm tyre isn't a problem.

Remember that there was another thread about the same issue and as mentioned by Eldron, newer spec brakes are needed

I'm running 25mm gators on my 2016 Propel Adv 0 and have no issues with the cables running.

I think they have installed a new style cable holder on the newer models.

Will take a pic in a bit for you.

I'm running 25mm gators on my 2016 Propel Adv 0 and have no issues with the cables running.

I think they have installed a new style cable holder on the newer models.

Will take a pic in a bit for you.

Please do take a pic of your brakes... I am aware that there are different models of the propel v-brakes...

Glad this came up. Was looking at a propel frame , now I'm not so keen.

Dont be put off yet... The frame is unreal. The brakes are an issue if they are an issue... (if you get my drift)... Some people have issues and some dont... and after plenty of reading I still havent found a convincing article or report that states exactly what the problem is. Some have had no problems even with 28mm tyres!

It's around R2.5k to upgrade both brakes to the new spec with longer levers. 25mm tyre isn't a problem.

Not keen on spending 2.5k for brakes :/ Giant should send me brakes for free...

Did you buy the bike new ? I would try to get the bike shop to get the brakes swapped for a new model

There was a very lengthy thread on the Hub about this. I cannot remember what the solution was (if there was a solution). Try and do a search and see if you can find it.