WIN: 3 x Wines2Whales entries with Food Lover’s Market

Matt

I'm curious. Even if he didn't do it on a bike how would one manage to do that? Even in a car that would be very difficult if you have go through built-up areas with traffic etc?

Some sort of indoor virtual trainer?

A .gpx file is just a computer file format - a few lines of code will produce a .gpx file with any numbers in it you like. Perhaps Fanie needs to add a bit more entropy to his algorithm :)

p.s. until Strava partners with all the device manufacturers and shares some secret encryption key with them to prevent digital doping, it's all just a big w*nk. 

Edited by openmind

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious. Even if he didn't do it on a bike how would one manage to do that? Even in a car that would be very difficult if you have go through built-up areas with traffic etc?

Some sort of indoor virtual trainer?

Cruise control?  :whistling:

So this Strava stalker did a bit of digging - Interesting & curious case this Fanie oke

Found more of his rides this past month - most of them actually looks legit so I am a bit hesitant to use the c word here... Also he does seem to put a lot of hours in - averaged 19 hours a week in 2015 (when I assume no w2w competition was involved) - that is beyond anyone I know but I guess not impossible?

One or 2 of his rides last week though, just borders on the superhuman side

Like this little night ride he did last Wednesday

150km at an average of 27km/h while never going faster than 33km/h

Similar to what Velouria pointed out earlier - seemingly gravity has no effect on this dude for this ride, climbs and downhills all at the same constant speed

A lot of alarm bells going off here, I would be surprised if his performance survives proper scrutiny, would not put money on this guy actually receiving the prize...

I just imported a converted kml file to gpx file into garmin connect. The reason i did it we are planning a new route to ride this coming weekend. We plotted it on google earth and then i converted kml file to gpx and manually imported it on garmin as an activity so that i can convert it to a route so that we can follow it on the edge.

My point, the data synced to strava and when i opened the ride it looked very similar to this. Mine was just dated to 01 jan 2010 but also night ride etc.

Not saying it is what happened here just saying what happened to me.

Does HAM know he can't win it 2 years in a row?  :ph34r:

This would actually be a three-peat but we'll have to wait and see how the judges rule on Vinnige Fanie.

Shout out to the girls who dominated this year. Also I'd be nothing without my wife's support and she even joined me for a few rides this year.  :clap: 

Edited by bodger

Just a quick question, how they going to contact the winners if there no option to add your number or am I just being blonde?

Edited by DjCyclist

Just a quick question, how they going to contact the winners of you there no option to add your number or am I just blonde

When you sign up via Strava your email address from your Strava account is loaded. 

(The T&Cs do, incorrectly state that telephonic contact will be made - this will happen via email)

Where do people find the time to ride this much? I struggled just to make the lucky draw criteria...ok not quite but still