2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy and I are potentially considering doing the R2R this year as a warm up for RASA next year!  But what do people do once you get to Rhodes WRT getting back?  Is there a shuttle service, or does everyone join a lift club or is there something else?  Rhodes must be a pretty boring place to be stuck in...

A buddy and I are potentially considering doing the R2R this year as a warm up for RASA next year!  But what do people do once you get to Rhodes WRT getting back?  Is there a shuttle service, or does everyone join a lift club or is there something else?  Rhodes must be a pretty boring place to be stuck in...

Not really boring , they got a nice pub there . But I also wonder how people get out of that place after the race . 

Where will you be travelling from?  There is a shuttle service that will take your car from PMB to Rhodes, cost is about R1,200.

Ride back?

From what I have seen there are three ways out (other than riding back), organize with the race office to have your vehicle transported from PMB to Rhodes or get someone to fetch you from Rhodes or find out if someone else is being fetched and catch a lift out. 

Whichever way you decide you wont be sorry.  Rhodes is the absolute middle of nowhere and is very beautiful and from what I have heard R2R is amazing!!

I am only going as far as Rhodes. Need to get training up as winter just ended here. Else I will be very lonely there at the back like Casper.

The best transport is to continue down the road, all the way to Cambria, PE is about 50 clicks from there, but then you might as well continue through the beautiful Baviaans enjoy a lovely pudding at DamseDrift, the fluffy white bedding at Prince Albert, Swartberg Pass, Die Hel en Die Leer, 'n moerse fight with Stetteyns and end in Diemersfontein to enjoy a glass or two proper red wine. There you will find lots of transport in any direction.........

Or you could enjoy Rhodes and bump a bumpy ride with other R2R Challengers, but I would really go down the road must better option....

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

With the eye on doing RASA in 2018, every travelling opportunity must be seen as a potential recce opportunity. I will be travelling to Willowmore and planning a return via PA. Searching on Google there is a faint line where the route goes, via Rondawel. Can this section of RASA from Willowmore to PA be navigated by vehicle? I suspect many farm gates, will they be locked? Are the roads private or public? 

With the eye on doing RASA in 2018, every travelling opportunity must be seen as a potential recce opportunity. I will be travelling to Willowmore and planning a return via PA. Searching on Google there is a faint line where the route goes, via Rondawel. Can this section of RASA from Willowmore to PA be navigated by vehicle? I suspect many farm gates, will they be locked? Are the roads private or public? 

The section from Willemoere to PA is all on public road, albeit some very minor public roads.

Gates may be closed, but shouldn't be locked, if they are locked, just lift your car over;)

Please be sure to close any gates that you open.

PM for more detail if needed. 

Massive damage as far as Tweede Water, above that it's OK.

Going to need more than a municipal road grader (if there was one)

Can someone tell me if the Spring ride to Rhodes follows the exact same route as the RASA? Also I see it is guided but you can self navigate if you want to. Do the same rules apply to SRTR as for RASA? ie no GPS units, only compass, maps and narative?

Thanks.

Can someone tell me if the Spring ride to Rhodes follows the exact same route as the RASA? Also I see it is guided but you can self navigate if you want to. Do the same rules apply to SRTR as for RASA? ie no GPS units, only compass, maps and narative?

Thanks.

Same route, same rules. (Particularly no gps). The idea is to give people a taste of the event and for people to learn (or re-learn) map and compass navigation. And to have fun. Also includes a backup vehicle.

Anybody else doing SRTR this year?

I want to do it but struggling with logistics coming up from CPT. 

If I fly to Durban I can get a shuttle to PMB with my bike (in a bike bag).

Problem:

What do I do with the bike bag?

How do I get back to Durban from Rhodes?

Solution:

If somebody else is doing SRTR from Durban or PMB, I could possibly get a lift to PMB and back from Rhodes.

They could possibly take care of my bike bag as well.

Any kind soul out there that can help?

Thanks