2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

Has anyone got suggestions for the best Cycle computer for RASA.(non GPS of course). 

I can't find any with Dist1 and Dist2 as well as ODO apart from Cateye.

Cateye  Enduro CC-ED400 or simple Velo CC-VL520 is the best, but don't use the wireless one.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone got suggestions for the best Cycle computer for RASA.(non GPS of course). 

I have a spare Blackburn Delphi 4 that you are welcome to use but its wireless..

Guys if anyone is jammed with overnight accommodation in PMB before the ride please feel free to give me a shout. I have family there who are more than willing to have riders stay over the night before the start of the RASA and RTR.  - My bad I see entrance fee includes accommodation in PMB

I used a Ryder 9 function (wired). Cheap simple reliable BUT beware of the odo that doesn't read below 4.5kmh...... it won't record anything on the odd occasion that you might be walking ;)

Today I turned my Freedom Challenge number 46, hope it's going to be a good one this year !!!!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LgQ4oKBRnqQ/Vanu5BYpWrI/AAAAAAAABfc/F_L7ehwQ8RE/s1600/DSC_0054_1.jpg

damnit!! i forgot to celebrate my freedom number last year!

Going like a nose diving Boeing out of the race due to unforeseen circumstances, lost 12kg, not as fit as I would like to be, but a really good base for next year.......

:wacko:  :wacko:  :wacko:

that is not really a valid excuse, but you knew that already without my lecture!

As witnessed recently in the Baviaans, the confused and panic stricken Bosbok may pose a bigger threat to cyclists than the mighty Buffalo. Long may that continue.

I'll be inspecting this area personally in 3 weeks time. doing a little adventure race there, and this popped into the inbox this morning!

·        All teams need an air horn. We supply all international teams with air horns.

·        Dark Zone in nature conservation areas due to dangerous wildlife: fast teams will probably be affected by 4 hours before entering reserve, slow teams must be prepared to spend a night in reserve (12 hours),  prepare for this.

About a month to go for RTR. Waiting for the postman do deliver the last bit of kit!

Minor parts like handlebars and brakes for the bike.

Slightly nervous and curious to who all will be on th startline.

Oh Meryl said some places became available so If you are lurking at this tread and have some holiday left, give her a call and enter this wonderful experience.

that is not really a valid excuse, but you knew that already without my lecture!

Apparently I'm getting lectured on a daily basis, still sweating training hoping for a miracle, might pitch up a the start line without boxes ( Meryl will kill me) like Commander Crous a couple of years ago, I believe that someone will spare a crumb............

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

About a month to go for RTR. Waiting for the postman do deliver the last bit of kit!

Oh Meryl said some places became available so If you are lurking at this tread and have some holiday left, give her a call and enter this wonderful experience.

Nonsense man, the only bars you need are Bar Ones. And brakes slow you down. 

Korp. DWK, whilst we got you here...any bigshots on the startline this year? Any other trail news for us #sidelineblanketboytjies

And on what type of monstrosity are you planning to  ride this year ?

Korp. DWK, whilst we got you here...any bigshots on the startline this year? Any other trail news for us #sidelineblanketboytjies

Anyone who puts their toe on that start line is a big shot, so yes, about 50 of them this year. And a goodly number of razing sneks. Couple of surprises, an extra portage, the usual ;)

And on what type of monstrosity are you planning to  ride this year ?

Please do not call my girl a monstrosity.

Same frame, same forks. Thought long about ditching the Rohloff to save some weight and ad efficiency in trade of for reliability. But as my roadbike at two rear deraillers in two weeks the Rohloff is back on.

Ditched the carbon bars, waiting for parts from China to ad time trial bars. New rims at only 40mm wide and 27.5 size going 27.5+ this time as I need the extra cushioning because of my size.

Official goal under 4 days, unofficial goal not beiing casper and beiing left on the trail by my own. But it seems Meryl overestimates my capacities so I might be very near the racing snakes and struggle with the last one's.

Tonight and the weekends plan map editing for night navigation.

Seriously tempted to take up one of the available RTR entries again ......... if I can organize work issues, find some money and will be putting gears on the bike this time for sure

I am marking all the shops and shebeens on my map to stock up on Bar Ones

And the brakes are red red makes you faster that is a well known fact

Seriously tempted to take up one of the available RTR entries again ......... if I can organize work issues, find some money and will be putting gears on the bike this time for sure

Aaaah with age comes wisdom.....gears and walking shoes....I might even suggest Meryl put you in with the race sneks.......you know the last minute entry has nothing to do with boxes and fitness....look forward to watching Rob

Archived