• Last Reply

Martin 2012 vs Martin 2017

Allendale - 30 mins quicker

Malekholonyane - 6hrs quicker

Rhodes - 8hrs quicker

Slaapkranz - 15hrs

Romansfontein  - 20 hrs

De Doorns 24hrs

What he has appeared to have done is stop shorter and ride a bit quicker. By doing this he's been able to get a bit further on almost each day before stopping for a short rest/sleep.

This is how he 'leapfrogs' his 2012 schedule by about 4/6 hours each time he is able to go further. In the last 2 days he's been on almost the same schedule as in 2012 (but just a day quicker). Taking just on 3 days from willowmoore in 2012, he's probably on a similar track. Only he knows how much quicker he could go from there to the finish.

So, on the assumption that he gets to willowmore tonight around midnight, we're looking at a 9 day 12 hours record. or 228 hours total.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J1Lq5C79qkU/VDusDs9cBDI/AAAAAAAAADg/4QMqsHgPd-k/s1600/Brc2J_kIMAEoPnR.jpg

just looking at the 2017 route, there's a long way from Jakkalsfontein to Gegun, which includes the struishoek descent too. but then it's 25km to Koedoeskop, and maybe 15 then to Toekomst.

Since people are sleeping at koedoeskop, are these all SS? an extra one thrown in or is it just a really nice alternate?

just looking at the 2017 route, there's a long way from Jakkalsfontein to Gegun, which includes the struishoek descent too. but then it's 25km to Koedoeskop, and maybe 15 then to Toekomst.

Since people are sleeping at koedoeskop, are these all SS? an extra one thrown in or is it just a really nice alternate?

Koedoeskop was trown in for race to Willowmore as Toekomst was temporary unavailable. Toekosmt came back an koedoes stayed no idea why.

Koedoeskop was trown in for race to Willowmore as Toekomst was temporary unavailable. Toekosmt came back an koedoes stayed no idea why.

thanks for that info, I was getting all confused, the name Koedoeskop kept cropping up, but I had no explanation, thought there was a dot missing on the screen

Seems to me like JT and LE have gained on Martin, they wont have wind issues for most of today through the Osseberg, Martin on the other hand seems to be a bit buggered from the wind yesterday and it may well be that he has another full day of it alone today.

Hopefully we get some live reporting from our man out in the field today,

Korporaal is daai koffie warm?

Would be great to see a race for the end from here - we have heard little of the condition of JT and LE and two must be stronger than one, they have a lot of ground to make up, but its definitely not impossible.

The accordian effect with the crossings in Mordor probably made it look like he lost time, but really I think he is still hauling.

I'm not sure that they will make the 10.00 am to the Baviaans gate, race record time, set by the organisers to give them immediate passage, so they may have to wait until 2.00 to start their trek up the Baviaans. They may drop a couple of hours if this does happen.

They are just starting the Ossewa track now. Go gents!

The accordian effect with the crossings in Mordor probably made it look like he lost time, but really I think he is still hauling.

I agree that it probably looks a bit better than it is, Martin had what seems to be his first decent sleep (hard to believe), and it does indeed look like his body has responded and he is hauling again.

Hauling too are Jacques and Leon, they recced this section in race to Willowmore a month or two ago, I doubt they will put a foot wrong here. Essentially this is the last bit of navigation for RASA for these guys and it will then come down to who sleeps less and who is freshest. That's where I do think the duo have an advantage.

The last roll of the dice might be the route through Stettyns.

It's actually bad how jealous I am of these guys getting to go through Mordor today. Hope they are enjoying it...

Seems to me like JT and LE have gained on Martin, they wont have wind issues for most of today through the Osseberg, Martin on the other hand seems to be a bit buggered from the wind yesterday and it may well be that he has another full day of it alone today.

Hopefully we get some live reporting from our man out in the field today,

Korporaal is daai koffie warm?

Would be great to see a race for the end from here - we have heard little of the condition of JT and LE and two must be stronger than one, they have a lot of ground to make up, but its definitely not impossible.

are you smoking your sealskinz?!

they're a whole day behind him. The only way to make a up a whole day on Martin Dreyer is you leave a day earlier!

but ja, get you on the two riders thing, Helps when you're in draft possible sections, so willowmoor to PA and some of the anysberg will be better. the rest of the time you're going 10/15km/h and drafting requires a lot of concentration. also nice to alternate opening gates, but most of those are done now (and climbing them)

the downside is you go as fast as the slower guy.

Ja, admittedly I am clutching at straws given Martins track record.

Maybe I should ask the Korporaal to 'detain' him, they should be meeting soon.

Ja, admittedly I am clutching at straws given Martins track record.

Maybe I should ask the Korporaal to 'detain' him, they should be meeting soon.

he has overshadowed an incredible run by JT/LE.

in 2012, Martin got to cambria at 9:20( AH at 13:40), so they are very close to the race record time. BUT they will need to keep going now as the "buffalo gate" closes in 3 hours.

Gutted for Leon, he really put a lot of preparation into this.

Wonder if a spare tyre betwen them would have helped, I carried one, its an insurance policy after a lot of time and effort invested.

Archived