Open letter to all motorists

Liezel Panda

An open letter to all drivers, especially truck drivers.

We as cyclists are mothers, fathers, brothers, sister, children and most importantly; humans.

If you see us, doing our own thing on the road, please pass widely. Even if we are near the yellow line.

I don't care if you have been angered be some idiot on a bike on a previous occasion. Ignore your childish voice to; to your amusement, see how near you can pass us.

You see, the only difference between shooting someone and a hit and run is the method.

You are still a murderer.

And if we do survive, we run the risk of being paralyzed or having severe brain damage. Now tell me how you'd feel if that were to happen to you, your spouse or your child.

It is not a game to see how many times you can pass closely to us. It is not a game to see how much you can anger us. You are playing with another persons life.

I urge you to pay attention to the road, I know how quickly an accident can happen. There is no going back and no sorry will change what happened.

As taken, exactly from the website https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/cycling/cyclist-road-rules-and-safety :

"Drivers are required to give a minimum of one metre when passing a cyclist where the speed limit is 60 km/h or less or 1.5 metres where the speed limit is over 60 km/h.

Scan the road for cyclists.

Look for cyclists when turning or entering an intersection and give way as you would for any other vehicle.

Before opening your car door look behind and check blind spots for cyclists.

Do not drive, stop or park in a bicycle lane, you can cross a bicycle lane to turn left, enter private property or park in a parking lane.

Cyclists can legally ride two abreast - be patient as you approach and overtake only when safe.

Give cyclists plenty of room - a minimum of one metre clearance when overtaking."

You can also refer to the following websites for more information:

http://www.bicyclecapetown.org/bike-law/rules-of-the-road/

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/news/new-traffic-laws-affect-cyclists/

Don't be the person responsible for taking another persons life.

Be patient, share the road and let everyone arrive home safely.

Kind regards,

A human on two wheels.

Well said. I think you will find most - if not all - hubbers share your sentiment. I just wish road users would stick to the rules and just be a bit more courteous. We CAN all get along. In most countries in the world it works very well.

Nayr, there was almost one yesterday...

A truck was parked in the yellow lane a few 100m outside town, so I checked for traffic and went past him, to which the driver reacted by hooting at me.

I ignored it and continued cycling. I always cycle as close to the grass/gravel when I'm on my bike, and if on my mtb I normally ride on the gravel.

So about 200m further, the same truck driver passes me as closely as possible, with no traffic behind him, to which I responded by shaking my head.

He then pulls up about a 100m infront of me. I had no idea what he wanted to do, so again, I checked for traffic and passed him. About two minutes went by and he came up behind me, blowing his horn continues.

I had nowhere left to go. He then passed me even closer than the first time, again eith no traffic behind him, and only when he was pass me, he continued out of the yellow line. I had no idea what he was thinking, but that was inexcusable.

I noticed that the types of incidents increased over the past weeks, but this one was just really unnecessary and unasked for...

I'd hate to be the drol in die drinkwater, but In good 'ol RSA (that is the Republic of South Africa)

It is illegal for cyclist to ride two abreast, unless in the process of overtaking another cyclist.

In South Australia (the area of Australia that your link references) it may be lagal to ride two abreast, but not here in Zumaville.

Your intensions are good, but it's best to make sure you have all the facts correct before posting an open letter to anyone.

Hi , Nice letter,  but you quoted from the South Australian road rules... South African road rules are 1m passing distance and you may not ride 2 abreast unless overtaking.

Also in order for a Pedal Cycle to be legal vehicle on the road it needs to have the following:

• Red reflector on the rear complying with the provisions of regulations 189 and 192. 
  • White reflectors on front complying with the provisions of regulations 189 and 192. 
  • A warning device capable of giving adequate warning of its approach;

Cycling Safety is a big issue on our roads, and death is a sad result, but as cyclist we need to know our rights and exercise caution in demanding them. The fact the most cyclist 'think' they are allowed to ride 2 abreast is wrong in South Africa. It is breaking the law and putting yourselves and others in unnecessary danger.

BTW. most 'Road' cycling tires are also illegal as they don't comply with the minimum tread depth if 1mm. 

Also: Pedal Cycles must ride to the left of the road. 

Duties of driver of motor vehicle when passing cyclists
2. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle who passes a cyclist on a public road must—
(a) exercise due care while passing the cyclist;
(b) leave a distance between the motor vehicle and the cyclist of at least one metre; and
© maintain that distance from the cyclist until safely clear of the cyclist.

Duties of cyclists
3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—
(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; or
(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—
(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or
(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway.

(2) When riding on a public road, a cyclist must—
(a) give conspicuous driving signals as contemplated in regulation 300 and Part II of Chapter X of the National Regulations; and
(b) stop in the circumstances contemplated in regulation 307 of the National Regulations.

(3) A person may not ride a pedal cycle on a public road—
(a) on the right-hand side of a motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at an intersection;
(b) abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist;
© while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid; or
(d) while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless that pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.

(4) A cyclist must exercise due care while—
(a) passing a motor vehicle or turning right in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(a); or
(b) passing another cyclist in the circumstances described in subregulation (3)(b).

Edited by AdamA

I agree with the sentiments of the letter, but it should also be factually correct.

As with most things, if a law grants you certain rights, you will also be saddled up with corresponding obligations. This applies for both cyclists and motorists.

The fact remains, if you want to cycle on the road, know your rights AND your obligations.

Don't be a chop when you're on your bike and don't be a chop when you're in your car.

This is one of the main reasons people have changed to MTB / offroad / trails over the last few years...myself included...no respect, no law enforcement (arguable), no worries for truck / car drivers in respect of cyclists...how many drivers have really been put to justice once they have been at the hand of taking a cyclists life?

This will be a debate for the future on a daily basis...and unfortunately the real culprits do not read or visit "The Bike Hub" :wacko: