How would you handle a guy riding on the wrong side of the road?

2wheelsgood

Lately on my route I'm encountering some stupid SOB who rides on the opposite of the road i.e. facing oncoming traffic. If two cyclists approach each other as such, is there some kind of etiquette? Or is it a plain case of an idiot needlessly endangering his life and some innocent?

My attitude is to try force such riders to my right i.e. they must pass wide further into the road. But this guy just runs further left, even when I point and call to him where to go. So a collision is looking likely because I don't care how left he goes, I AM going on the inside. He's an old guy, white but not South African looking.

I suppose I can also ask if anyone here practises this style of riding on the wrong side? What's the motivation?

What he is doing is very dangerous, and as you said an accident is bound to happen.

Maybe try have a chat with him and understand what his motivation is. If you cannot convince him to ride how he is legally supposed to ride, at minimum you guys could come to an agreement about moving left or right to avoid collisions.

So to answer your question, try have a polite and constructive chat to him....

To be honest I think its an education thing. If that is all you've ever known and no one explains why its wrong you'll keep doing the same thing. 

If he doesn't want to stop for a chat, I would simply come to a stop before you pa's each other, pulling over safely to the left.

It'll force him into the road where you don't want to be, and it should only cost you a few seconds of your trip.

Full face helmet, chest and knee guards. Gum protector. Ram him. Those who don't wanna learn must feel. (I'm just kidding of course, take Patch's advice)

If he doesn't want to stop for a chat, I would simply come to a stop before you pa's each other, pulling over safely to the left.

It'll force him into the road where you don't want to be, and it should only cost you a few seconds of your trip.

I've done this before. You see someone coming and their intention is not to go give way to you or go around you when they clearly should (when there's no question of doubt). Also happens with two people riding side by side talking to each other. I stop my bike sideways at an angle defending my right of way. It delays me to have to stop but the alternative - moving into traffic or into the rough is a dangerous non-starter.

It's funny how you can tell, even from a distance, who is going to behave reasonably and who is not. It's like they have a big hologram sign hovering over them saying "I am a ****"

I would say a combo of Patch and Drago.

First, try stop and chat to him. Try a few different approaches.

Then tell him he should be riding on the other side of the road, a) because it's rule of the road and b) because it's safer for everyone. He can answer in a few ways, but basically he will either start riding on the correct side of the road or not.

If he chooses to ride on the correct side of the road, great. If not, then make sure he understands that as he is riding into traffic, it should be up to him to pass other cyclists on the traffic side, or to stop if it is unsafe.

Of course he could still continue to do what he's doing (which after being educated just means he a ****) in which case I'd have no problem with passing him very aggressively in the future.