Assics Running Shoe - recommendations

New Landy new life

Being on the heavy side (100kgs) I replace shoes every 700 to 800 kays. Just not worth the risk of injury. A visit to the doctor and xrays etc will cost me way more than a new pair of shoes.

Thing is, after 800kays the shoes still look new for the most part but I can feel the sole is worn. With Kayanos now costing 2900 that's nearly 4 rand a kilometer :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on the heavy side (100kgs) I replace shoes every 700 to 800 kays. Just not worth the risk of injury. A visit to the doctor and xrays etc will cost me way more than a new pair of shoes.

Thing is, after 800kays the shoes still look new for the most part but I can feel the sole is worn. With Kayanos now costing 2900 that's nearly 4 rand a kilometer :)

eish its *** to be heavy. i cry when i read everyone's posts about 800+ k's on a pair.

my max was 850 on my previous pair

also on the heavier side and previous foot problems.  So also not keen on taken changes and risk injury.

Interesting, I cant say I have spent hours studying the pro's and con's of barefoot running but  I personally would be very wary of hitting a 42 km or further run on tar, barefoot, even after running for over 40 years.

Running without any kind of support takes significant training and I would say for a new runner it would almost guarantee an injury, maybe if they could train on a golf course or a similar soft surface and stick to short distances of 5kms or so, they could build up, but I think the jolting from zero strike absorption on tar over long distances would cause significant stress on the hip and lower back muscles and lead to injuries.

Possibly once those muscles are stronger and able to take the pounding you would stand a better chance, but, Yah,... I still think its a bit of a gamble, not to mention the glass and debris on the road side. 

Been using a transition shoe for the last six years, Saucony Kinvara is my weapon of choice mostly, 4mm drop, moderate cushioning. Haven't had an injury in that time, just had to (slowly) allow different muscles to strengthen to accommodate the different style of running. Took about a year more or less.

I find that the shoes for natural type running last forever, as cushioning is a minor component of these shoes. I'm still using a four year old pair of Kinvara's, only got newer version as an online store was running a special. I do on average about 30km per week, so probably well in excess of 1000km and still comfortable for long runs (>20km).

Been using a transition shoe for the last six years, Saucony Kinvara is my weapon of choice mostly, 4mm drop, moderate cushioning. Haven't had an injury in that time, just had to (slowly) allow different muscles to strengthen to accommodate the different style of running. Took about a year more or less.

I find that the shoes for natural type running last forever, as cushioning is a minor component of these shoes. I'm still using a four year old pair of Kinvara's, only got newer version as an online store was running a special. I do on average about 30km per week, so probably well in excess of 1000km and still comfortable for long runs (>20km).

Can't agree more. Transition is the problem and there are some basics you have to know about running minimalist. But once you make the change (and give yourself time to adapt) it's great.

Cycling through Newlands Ave this morning and saw a BIG guy running kaalvoet. Called out "Yoh, love your shoes". Big smile on his face.

I'm a light runner and easily get 900 plus. Those new ones with 30kms on went back to the shop to buy neutral naturals..just not sure what yet. Will be running a marathon next weekend in the 700km ones.

f6c54096ddb439bfeea6c967a151cf85.jpg

79 kg and i usually change shoes at about 700 km... i don't monitor the distance i run in shoes but know when its time to change as i start feeling uncomfortable and get little niggles for no reason. Then i go look and see how long I have run in them.

On the barefoot thing, i would love to try it as it makes good sense imo but genetically i just don't have the feet for it. Years ago i started going barefoot around the house and wearing minimalistic shoes and doing a few short runs in them with the idea of getting prepared for transitioning to minimalistic running shoes... but my feet did not respond well and recently i told a podiatrist / sports biomechanic about it and he advised that i don't spend to much time walking around barefoot....

Enjoying my Nimbus's after the Kayano's, it was the right desicon to go back to the neutral shoe in my case.

TBH as i have over the last few months been preparing for a marathon I'm inclined to agree with the guys who stick to shorter distances.... 21k and less i think will be my future unless i do full IM one day again....

I am still quite new to running, and hit my first 800km on my asics.  Never thought I would run this much, but really loving it.  Not doing big km's, around 5 -10km sessions, so after 800km my shoes are still in what looks like a very good condition.  Bought a new pair as the price was right, and will use them for longer runs.

Yah, its a great sport.

79 kg and i usually change shoes at about 700 km... i don't monitor the distance i run in shoes but know when its time to change as i start feeling uncomfortable and get little niggles for no reason. Then i go look and see how long I have run in them.

On the barefoot thing, i would love to try it as it makes good sense imo but genetically i just don't have the feet for it. Years ago i started going barefoot around the house and wearing minimalistic shoes and doing a few short runs in them with the idea of getting prepared for transitioning to minimalistic running shoes... but my feet did not respond well and recently i told a podiatrist / sports biomechanic about it and he advised that i don't spend to much time walking around barefoot....

Enjoying my Nimbus's after the Kayano's, it was the right desicon to go back to the neutral shoe in my case.

TBH as i have over the last few months been preparing for a marathon I'm inclined to agree with the guys who stick to shorter distances.... 21k and less i think will be my future unless i do full IM one day again....

Yah, I agree, generally your body will tell you its time for a change of shoes, especially over a longer distance.

I am pushing my distances up again and I dont like a light shoe when I do longer distance, so I have been using the Saucony Stabil and found it perfect, knocked up around 800 kms on it already and its still good to go. 

Yah, I agree, generally your body will tell you its time for a change of shoes, especially over a longer distance.

I am pushing my distances up again and I dont like a light shoe when I do longer distance, so I have been using the Saucony Stabil and found it perfect, knocked up around 800 kms on it already and its still good to go.

My wife who runs longer distances than me gets less than 500km out of her shoes. She wears the heel corner down to the eva in short time and starts getting calf and Achilles niggles, new shoes and the niggles gone. She has a cupboard full of shoes worn out like this....

My style is very unique due to a weak hip on one side but it is improving the more I run but I eventually start limping after about 11km. (Pins in hip). I do have in steps and a 10mm spacer from a podiatrist to put inside my shoes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

if you're running with orthotics it's probably best to run in a neutral shoe otherwise the shoe may be counterproductive to your orthotics. I would suggest that you consult with the person who made your orthotics for you.

if you're running with orthotics it's probably best to run in a neutral shoe otherwise the shoe may be counterproductive to your orthotics. I would suggest that you consult with the person who made your orthotics for you.

THIS. 

My wife who runs longer distances than me gets less than 500km out of her shoes. She wears the heel corner down to the eva in short time and starts getting calf and Achilles niggles, new shoes and the niggles gone. She has a cupboard full of shoes worn out like this....

Wow, thats fairly little in the greater scheme of things, I can imagine, she must have dozens in the cupboard. :D 

I sometimes find the mesh on the uppers sometimes tears or splits causing me to prematurely go buy another pair but, Yah, I dont know, my usual change is seldom less than 1000 kms.  

Wow, thats fairly little in the greater scheme of things, I can imagine, she must have dozens in the cupboard. :D

I sometimes find the mesh on the uppers sometimes tears or splits causing me to prematurely go buy another pair but, Yah, I dont know, my usual change is seldom less than 1000 kms.

She is away on business trip, If I'm feeling brave I'll post a picture later

I had the same problem in the days when I used Anti-Pronation shoes. Found a product by Hi-Tech called SoleSaver. Its a rubberized glue you apply to the area worn off as soon as you start noticing wear. Allowed me to use a pair of shoes for way longer than if I did not.

Assuming Hi-Tech SoleSaver is still available and you willing to try this, I will be more than happy to share some thoughts on how I used to apply this to get maximum use out of the application and extended shoe life.