The 100th Giro d'Italia

'Dale

Good quesion. Read a article on cyclingtips.com now called "How Time Gaps Are Calculated". Sorry, can't link but quick google search will find it.

Apparently the time gaps on TV is not official, but from television bikes between the break and peleton sending information between them.

Hi,

Thanks, that's a good article (https://cyclingtips.com/2012/06/how-time-gaps-are-calculated/)

Seems like it's actually quite complicated, especially when the average speed of either/or change. The forum discussion here adds some value, if you listen to the people that understand math (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17284&start=40).

Basics is that the time gap is not true, and is old data (i.e. if you seem the time gap stretching or shrinking it's not necessarily because of something that happened NOW), but it's the best way we have to indicate status

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thanks, that's a good article (https://cyclingtips.com/2012/06/how-time-gaps-are-calculated/)

Seems like it's actually quite complicated, especially when the average speed of either/or change. The forum discussion here adds some value, if you listen to the people that understand math (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17284&start=40).

Basics is that the time gap is not true, and is old data (i.e. if you seem the time gap stretching or shrinking it's not necessarily because of something that happened NOW), but it's the best way we have to indicate status

Its a lot more accurate on flat days, or constant climbs I have found. Does not like rolling hills. Classics season shows this a lot, gaps jump a lot there more than other I found

What is also interesting to me is that if a break has 1 min on the peleton (let's make it flat), and they both instantaneously change their speeds to double what it was, the time gap will linearly halve to 30s over a period of 30s - even though the distance between the two remains constant - and the peleton still won't catch the break without another change.

on topic: go Dumoulin :)

15:47:55 CEST

The flat section suits the Dumoulin chase as they chip a few seconds off the leaders. It's still all to play for and the next climb is going to be crucial. 

What is also interesting to me is that if a break has 1 min on the peleton (let's make it flat), and they both instantaneously change their speeds to double what it was, the time gap will linearly halve to 30s over a period of 30s - even though the distance between the two remains constant - and the peleton still won't catch the break without another change.

on topic: go Dumoulin :)

Or maybe there is an over write function where the TV director can plug in his own numbers so that peloton thinks chasing the break down is not possible :P

On that Velon page (which is awesome) it shows wildly fluctuating power numbers - say from 150 to 550 in a couple of seconds for Dumoulin. Would that be signal noise or a true reflection?

(I know nothing about power/road cycling btw, so it might be a stupid question)

1. The gaps between the groups are beginning to come down as Trek help and FDJ help Sunweb. They are clearly worried about Amador and are protecting their GC places. 

2. 15:48:47 CEST

News in that Laurent Didier has crashed out the race. 

On that Velon page (which is awesome) it shows wildly fluctuating power numbers - say from 150 to 550 in a couple of seconds for Dumoulin. Would that be signal noise or a true reflection?

(I know nothing about power/road cycling btw, so it might be a stupid question)

Its instant power, they should do a 3 second or 5 second average, would be better. 

Its like the Watt bike at the gym, constantly reads power, so jumps around a lot. 

Valid question, and as Velon want to make it more easy for people to follow I think a 3 second average would be better as well. 

I just wished you could select which riders you want to follow. 

15:59:36 CEST

The peloton have upped the pace dramatically as the look to bring Amador back. Riders are being dropped and Tejay van Garderen is own of them. To be dropped with 42km to go on a stage like this is still a shock. How long will be last in this year's Giro d'Italia?

Where is Moridin, his favourite rider is dropped???

Oh TJ.. ..that oke.. Aye.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

An american team need an american rider, regardless of how good he is. 

16:05:29 CEST

Landa still has a small gap on the chase as we hit a short descent on the climb. The road once again starts to point upwards as we head into the final 38km of today's action. The gap to Dumoulin is 3'09.

16:06:36 CEST

Landa is still there punching away on his own, even though the gap is just a handful of seconds. Behind him the rest of the attackers are strung out on the climb. 

15:59:36 CEST

The peloton have upped the pace dramatically as the look to bring Amador back. Riders are being dropped and Tejay van Garderen is own of them. To be dropped with 42km to go on a stage like this is still a shock. How long will be last in this year's Giro d'Italia?

Where is Moridin, his favourite rider is dropped???

He makes me ashamed of wearing my BMC kit in public.  :blush:

Archived