Trail MTB Helmet

Darren van Deventer

Giant rail helmet. Looks beautiful. Is comfortable, is light and I knocked my own head alot against trees at rheebokskloof trail couple weeks ago without even a serious headache. And cost about 1500.

• 2 weeks later...

2 friends knocked themselves into memory loss 2 weeks apart - it was a serious reality check for me. (It is not funny having  a buddy's memory continually resetting every 2 minutes for hours on end.) The one with the more serious concussion took an oblique hit which suggests that it was the type of injury MIPS was designed to reduce.  I am shopping seriously and MIPS (or something similar like Leatt turbines) is a non-negotiable.

Am a little surprised and frustrated by how few and far between the locally stocked options are- Helmets, like shoes are a bit too personal to simply buy online and hope the fit is OK. There are options, but some of the big seller internationally like the Bell Super are not being brought in to the country as far as I can tell (except for MX) which is simply silly with mtb and Enduro booming the way it is. The Giant Rail is an awesome helmet as far as fit and design goes, and it makes a bunch of more boutique brands look decidedly overpriced and under-gunned...but Giant does not bring in the MIPS version... etc. etc.

The hunt continues - guess in the meantime I'll have to keep my head pointing skyward

If it breaks within 24 months you get a 50% price reduction on replacement. Not sure how many other brands offer that

Bell and Giro offer 70% off a new one if you crash.  And they offer that for three years.

I'm also using a Fox Flux - very happy, but as someone said earlier - make sure you can get replacement pads!!

Sarge

2 friends knocked themselves into memory loss 2 weeks apart - it was a serious reality check for me. (It is not funny having  a buddy's memory continually resetting every 2 minutes for hours on end.) The one with the more serious concussion took an oblique hit which suggests that it was the type of injury MIPS was designed to reduce.  I am shopping seriously and MIPS (or something similar like Leatt turbines) is a non-negotiable.

Am a little surprised and frustrated by how few and far between the locally stocked options are- Helmets, like shoes are a bit too personal to simply buy online and hope the fit is OK. There are options, but some of the big seller internationally like the Bell Super are not being brought in to the country as far as I can tell (except for MX) which is simply silly with mtb and Enduro booming the way it is. The Giant Rail is an awesome helmet as far as fit and design goes, and it makes a bunch of more boutique brands look decidedly overpriced and under-gunned...but Giant does not bring in the MIPS version... etc. etc.

The hunt continues - guess in the meantime I'll have to keep my head pointing skyward

I've seen a few MIPS helmets at Cyclelab over the past few months. It seems more and more are becoming available.

When looking for a new helmet something I have come to consider important is making sure replacement inner pads are easy to come by. I have the IXS trail RS helmet which has been great (comfy and well vented) but finding replacement pads has been nigh on impossible. Had a back order for pads since July this year, beginning to look at alternatives for that reason alone...

Great helmet but after sales service is slack....my round Velcro attachment thingies  came off the helmet the first time i removed the pads ...about a week after i got the helmet .

Archived