Specialized Epic comp vs Giant Anthem X 29er

Nicol Rademeyer

Giant makes epic bikes, they don't have to call their models epic so that someone can refer to them as an epic bike.

Hehehe

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KOM the frame weld issue was sorted some time ago and was often caused by owners not inserting their seatpost far enough into the frame. It's sorted on the 2016 frame.

The brain suspension is expensive to service, agreed

Just a note that the gusset was only introduced from the 2016 model range onwards, and to me still looks way under-engineered.

To the points of brain servicing, a couple of important considerations:

• Servicing your fork and shock needs to be periodic anyway, FOX and Rock Shox both have a 50hr seal and 150hr overhaul type schedule - these costs apply to any suspended bicycle
  • The 150hr brain service for the shock is R1199, which includes a full shock rebuild as well as the brain. You also have the option of having a re-furbished unit supplied which is brand new. Considering the amount of technology in the brain and what it does, doing 150hr every 2nd year is peanuts
  • Another observation i have made between Fox and Rock Shock forks is that the stantions on a fox need replacing way earlier than a rock shox fork. Fox owners are met with R4500 bills or more for that particular service item. In the bigger scheme, i find that most MTB owners avoid taking the knock of proper bike maintenance anyway, which always will lead to expensive repairs.

I must re-iterate that the camber is a trail bike worth comparing to the anthem, not the epic. The camber doesn't have a brain, just straight forward shock and fork on a 120mm trail geometry frame. Ive seen deals on the 2016 camber (if you can still find them) for under R30k.

Giant makes epic bikes, they don't have to call their models epic so that someone can refer to them as an epic bike.

Anthem is not far off "The Guild" title either. At least the epic has been won by a rider riding an epic ...

Clearly a polarising comparison you have here. I have had both these bikes:

- the Epic is a dual suspension that can accelerate like a hardtail with a small compromise in overall plushness. It also handles better for me with the shorter chainstays.

- The Giant suspension is plusher and a bit more stable but less snappy to accelerate. 

- Servicing the Brain is a pain to be honest.

- I've seen more warranty replacement Anthem frames than new ones.

- Both these bikes have fallen behind the modern interpretation of the ideal all rounder bike. Be sure to test some modern 120mm bikes before choosing either.

- Servicing the Brain is a pain to be honest.

- Both these bikes have fallen behind the modern interpretation of the ideal all rounder bike. Be sure to test some modern 120mm bikes before choosing either.

Why is the brain a pain to service? You take the bike in to your concept store, they strip the shock and brain, its gets sent to Spez HQ, returns within 2 days, they fit it back for your. 50Hr is around R600, 150Hr is R1199, no more expensive or cheaper than doing any shock.

I agree the epic isn't an all rounder, the camber is though, and should really be the bike being compared to the anthem.

I have also had both bikes. 

The Giant is a more relaxed fit and geometry than the Epic, which can make the bike feel "lazy in the corners and out of the saddle. The brain shock holds a 5 year warranty on it as long as all the services are done on time whereas a shock without a brain mechanism be it either rockshox or fox only holds 2 years if I am correct. If the brain wasn't worth it, then why does fox give those shocks an extra 3 year warranty? 

The servicing of the brain shock I agree is more expensive than a non brain shock but not by much. Given the more responsive ride and better acceleration. It's a better system. Mt Giant always had pedal bob no matter how the shock was set up. 

I think if you are looking for a race geometry bike then the Epic is for you if you looking for a more trail orientated bike then the Giant is better suited to you. But if you are looking for a trail bike the Camber is a good bet as well.

But as said before you will definitely need to ride both bikes in the terrain you going to be doing most of your riding in to decide which fits you and your riding style better. 

Indeed. My Anthem was good and I was considering putting a 120mm fork on it and all the rest. Then I tried a Pyga and never looked back.

The Pyga's can be pricey, I managed to find a gem second-hand, but the Camber and others have progressed towards the long / slack geometry of the Pyga and may be better priced.

Indeed. My Anthem was good and I was considering putting a 120mm fork on it and all the rest. Then I tried a Pyga and never looked back.

The Pyga's can be pricey, I managed to find a gem second-hand, but the Camber and others have progressed towards the long / slack geometry of the Pyga and may be better priced.

I find the Pyga's too heavy. Even the Carbon bike feels like a hunk of metal. The camber is lighter and supported by a much bigger brand and available at much more affordable price points. 

This way out are selling Rocky mountain bikes at 50% discount .Advert on this page .I am riding an RM element currently .I had 2 Giant anthems before .Spez just have to much servicing to do .Rocky mountain 950 at R37000 is a very good deal 

This way out are selling Rocky mountain bikes at 50% discount .Advert on this page .I am riding an RM element currently .I had 2 Giant anthems before .Spez just have to much servicing to do .Rocky mountain 950 at R37000 is a very good deal 

Lets be honest, there is no such thing as a bicycle not requiring servicing. In fact the bug debate is that most owners can't afford the servicing and attempt to get away with bare minimum. When your LBS says you need a new chain to save your cassette and blades, we suspect their intentions and ignore the suggestion. What should be a R500 service item, by the next wash and lube, becomes a R3000 affair when the cassette and blades and chain are now required. 

Ive seen all sorts of opinions about the best and owning the best, I've not seen people who can afford to run it when they buy it, the usual problem.

When it comes to low volume brands like Rocky Mountain, Pyga, Yeti etc the bigger concern is where they are in representation in the country to ensure warranty claims are honoured and that parts for the frame are always available - pivot bearings etc

Lets be honest, there is no such thing as a bicycle not requiring servicing. In fact the bug debate is that most owners can't afford the servicing and attempt to get away with bare minimum. When your LBS says you need a new chain to save your cassette and blades, we suspect their intentions and ignore the suggestion. What should be a R500 service item, by the next wash and lube, becomes a R3000 affair when the cassette and blades and chain are now required. 

Ive seen all sorts of opinions about the best and owning the best, I've not seen people who can afford to run it when they buy it, the usual problem.

When it comes to low volume brands like Rocky Mountain, Pyga, Yeti etc the bigger concern is where they are in representation in the country to ensure warranty claims are honoured and that parts for the frame are always available - pivot bearings etc

Obviously you are a Specialized fan, but many of us prefer the smaller, lower volume bike manufacturers. If there is an issue with my Pyga, I can phone Patrick or one of his team in Maritzberg. I have in the past for advice and will continue to. They have incredible passion for what they do, which translates into amazing bikes. Not always the lightest, but I have never felt like I am been held back and jeepers they are fun to ride. Can't get the smile off my face.

I had super light specialized bikes in the past (Epics, Stumpies), but they did not ride near as well as my Pyga and personally, I hated the corporate 'brand' cr@p that comes with it. I don't want to engage the low-paid, teenage 'brand ambassadors' at the soul-less, chain-store Spec shop up the road, who doesn't have a clue about the product and who push stuff on behalf of a corporate.  I don't want to have another conversation along the lines of:

Between these two bikes, which is the better one for me?

This one.

Why?

Because it is better.

Why is it better?

Because it costs more.

I can't do it anymore.

Obviously you are a Specialized fan, but many of us prefer the smaller, lower volume bike manufacturers. If there is an issue with my Pyga, I can phone Patrick or one of his team in Maritzberg. I have in the past for advice and will continue to. They have incredible passion for what they do, which translates into amazing bikes. Not always the lightest, but I have never felt like I am been held back and jeepers they are fun to ride. Can't get the smile off my face.

I had super light specialized bikes in the past (Epics, Stumpies), but they did not ride near as well as my Pyga and personally, I hated the corporate 'brand' cr@p that comes with it. I don't want to engage the low-paid, teenage 'brand ambassadors' at the soul-less, chain-store Spec shop up the road, who doesn't have a clue about the product and who push stuff on behalf of a corporate.  I don't want to have another conversation along the lines of:

Between these two bikes, which is the better one for me?

This one.

Why?

Because it is better.

Why is it better?

Because it costs more.

I can't do it anymore.

I can't imagine which Concept Store gave you such a horrible experience, there isn't one store i wouldn't recommend for the exact passion you say is missing. Cant tell you how many saturdays I've gone in to buy stans only to end up drinking coffee and learning about whats happening with the specialized brand. Never an expectation to buy.

I agree that the concept stores can make one feel a bit overwhelmed with the branding and spotless workshop and floors, but that comes from passion and not superiority as many (especially on the hub) may feel.

In the end you don't buy a bike for the coffee they give you in a store, you take it home and have to live and love it. As long as you are getting smiles thats all that matters, i just personally feel that specialized give the biggest ones ;-)

Give the 2016 Spez Camber a try if you can

(comp carbon model if you can, as it is the sweet spot of price & performance)

I can't imagine which Concept Store gave you such a horrible experience, there isn't one store i wouldn't recommend for the exact passion you say is missing. Cant tell you how many saturdays I've gone in to buy stans only to end up drinking coffee and learning about whats happening with the specialized brand. Never an expectation to buy.

I agree that the concept stores can make one feel a bit overwhelmed with the branding and spotless workshop and floors, but that comes from passion and not superiority as many (especially on the hub) may feel.

In the end you don't buy a bike for the coffee they give you in a store, you take it home and have to live and love it. As long as you are getting smiles thats all that matters, i just personally feel that specialized give the biggest ones ;-)

Some of the stores like the one in the City Bowl are good, but most are not great. The one in Bedfordview is the best, they don't even have prices on products. The dude just sits behind the counter watching Youtube and barks prices at you from across the store.

You obviously love this 'brand' stuff. I find it all quite false and would like to actually chat to the guy who made the bike. Different strokes for different folks.

But back to the original point, I don't think there is a real risk going for a bike from a manufacturer with lower volumes and who doesn't mass produce bikes. Many of my mates have Yetis, Norcos, Pygas, Rocky Mountains, etc. All love them. Cracked Norcos and others are replaced based on a photograph. I don't see much of downside, but they are amazing bikes to ride

The Anthem and the Epic as stated now more than once are not comparable in character and suspension. I also agree, compare the Camber and the Anthem and then buy what you like.

I'll throw my hat into the low volume brands again, and again, and again. The support from Pyga is absolutely amazing and their commitment to their brand is total.

Archived