Ironman 2017 - PE

IceCreamMan

This will be my wife's first IM and my 4th but I am actually super nervous.....  :eek:

So awesome she's doing it too! My girlfriend is crushing sprint tri's now so you never know we might both be lining up for IM one day as well.

Good luck to her!

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every year I drive down solo on the Thursday and I leave at like 3 AM and its sweet to drive alone as I like to stop at tea rooms off the beaten path and chill and can listen to heavy metal and just get lost in my own thoughts and strategise my race. My wife always flys in on the Saturday and flys out on the Monday but this year we driving back on Tuesday together which means no heavy metal but alas I digress....

anyway, I always arrange with netflorist to deliver a bunch of flowers which she receives while I am around colesburg and this year is no different as I just ordered her a bunch of flowers.... Reality is without her support there is no way I would be able to fit it all in. She is my number one supporter and the sacrifices she makes cannot be underestimated. You ous will understand.

Just thought I would share that, dunno why, mebbe the excitement of Sunday is getting to me.

Every year I drive down solo on the Thursday and I leave at like 3 AM and its sweet to drive alone as I like to stop at tea rooms off the beaten path and chill and can listen to heavy metal and just get lost in my own thoughts and strategise my race. My wife always flys in on the Saturday and flys out on the Monday but this year we driving back on Tuesday together which means no heavy metal but alas I digress....

anyway, I always arrange with netflorist to deliver a bunch of flowers which she receives while I am around colesburg and this year is no different as I just ordered her a bunch of flowers.... Reality is without her support there is no way I would be able to fit it all in. She is my number one supporter and the sacrifices she makes cannot be underestimated. You ous will understand.

Just thought I would share that, dunno why, mebbe the excitement of Sunday is getting to me.

You are a very fortunate man and should spoil the missus no end-very lucky that she supports you so. Mine still has no idea what I am doing after all these years and if you have to ask her what comes first, swim, bike or run, she will get it wrong-so a Tri officianado she is not, she gets bored at the race. Last time she was with me at IM, I left her with a friend whose wife was racing and he came prepared, coolerbox etc, so she was not wanting in terms of sustenance. Lap1 she was cheering sedately, then I think she got bored and started hitting the content of the coolerbox-LAP 2 she had gotten Pom-Poms somewhere and was in the swing of things -cheering and shouting, LAP 3-Game over, when I passed her she started blabbering about Love and stuff-which destroyed my street cred. I told her I was finishing and was hoping to see her at the finish, but missus was Gone Baby Gone, Eventually found her close to where she was cheering passed out in some aunties camping chair. Dont know who hurt more the next day her head or my body     

Windguru is predicting an absolute peach of a day.... early days yet but if the actual weather is close to the prediction, we all in for a groovy day.....weather wise anyway

Windguru is predicting an absolute peach of a day.... early days yet but if the actual weather is close to the prediction, we all in for a groovy day.....weather wise anyway

Yr.no website also predicting the same... here is to holding thumbs and crossing everything that we get the weather!!

Sunday02/04/2017

02:00–08:00 01n.81.png 19° 0 mm vindpil.0025.085.s.pngLight breeze, 2 m/s from east

08:00–14:00 01d.png 20° 0 mm vindpil.0025.045.s.pngLight breeze, 2 m/s from northeast

14:00–20:00 03d.png 24° 0 mm vindpil.0050.140.s.pngGentle breeze, 5 m/s from southeast 2

20:00–02:00 01n.81.png 20° 0 mm vindpil.0025.255.s.pngLight breeze, 2 m/s from west-southwest

I am doing the solo thing this year.  Wife and kidz staying at home.  Funny that no friends are doing it as well this year which will be an interesting dynamic as I will for the first time do my "own" race.  No one to beat....

I am doing the solo thing this year.  Wife and kidz staying at home.  Funny that no friends are doing it as well this year which will be an interesting dynamic as I will for the first time do my "own" race.  No one to beat....

you'll beat the IceCreamMan for sure :thumbup:

you'll beat the IceCreamMan for sure :thumbup:

Ja well, I'm too slow to kick anyone else's butt, so I just end up kicking my own butt. :D

hahaha, sounds like a few of us will be racing to try and beat the sweepers!!

Also up for my first full ironman and I've got to say it has been great reading everyone's progress, fears and valuable inputs on this thread. Looking forward to getting down to PE on Thursday to start soaking up the atmosphere and actually seeing the course first hand instead of analysing the pdf routes and google maps and street view.  

Just need to sort out my meal plan for the day - it is after all three meals that we are going to need to be planning for, on top of what the race is going to be taking out of you!  Anybody got any suggestions?  A buddy last year put in KFC snack burgers to eat at various points through the day, carbs and protein, but not so sure about the really bad fats and oils.  My plan is hot cross buns (thanks to a few suggestions here) with butter and peanut butter, but how many and when is the big question.  Plan for the bike is dry wors, date squares and a tube of 32GI tabs in my top tube bag  with some gels taped to my top bar.  The run aid stations seem pretty well stocked at least, but will be carrying a sizable stock of cramp block in a race belt.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you all out there!

hahaha, sounds like a few of us will be racing to try and beat the sweepers!!

Also up for my first full ironman and I've got to say it has been great reading everyone's progress, fears and valuable inputs on this thread. Looking forward to getting down to PE on Thursday to start soaking up the atmosphere and actually seeing the course first hand instead of analysing the pdf routes and google maps and street view.  

Just need to sort out my meal plan for the day - it is after all three meals that we are going to need to be planning for, on top of what the race is going to be taking out of you!  Anybody got any suggestions?  A buddy last year put in KFC snack burgers to eat at various points through the day, carbs and protein, but not so sure about the really bad fats and oils.  My plan is hot cross buns (thanks to a few suggestions here) with butter and peanut butter, but how many and when is the big question.  Plan for the bike is dry wors, date squares and a tube of 32GI tabs in my top tube bag  with some gels taped to my top bar.  The run aid stations seem pretty well stocked at least, but will be carrying a sizable stock of cramp block in a race belt.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you all out there!

I have always used hot cross buns, one after the swim in T1, one on the bike and one in T2 ..then on the run I eat off the tables. I also keep nuts for the T1, bike and T2. I do not take any gels or any sugar laden stuff until deep into the run. (apart from the hot cross buns of course)

This year I am going to change it up al ittle, a marmite sarmie on the bike and pnut butter sarmie in T2 with a hot cross bun in T1. Nuts an muesli on the bike. (I normally carry them in old High 5 tubes so I know exactly how much I am eating an aim for one an hour kind of thing. Normally only have High 5 zero liquids on the bike but am going to change that this year with some carbo drink ( although yet to make a call on that but will pick up something at the expo)

Have breakfast at around 4:30 and remember to eat as you go. Its easily overlooked in the heat of battle.

Will also be in PE on thrusday, around 2 I reckon

yea it is pretty much the same as I've used while training - just not managed a 14-15 hour training day pretty much self sustained,  always been able to top up if and when needed. So just checking what others might suggest to help tide us over throughout the day and to make sure I rather have more than I need rather than coming up short and suffering.

I also pack some nuts for the bike, and have a Jungle energy bar before starting the bike and run. For the rest I just use GU energy gels and High 5 electrolyte replacement in my water bottles.

Hoping to get into PE around 4:30/5pm on Thursday, heading straight to registration to get that out the way,so Friday can do a  swim and course reccie.  

I have always used hot cross buns, one after the swim in T1, one on the bike and one in T2 ..then on the run I eat off the tables. I also keep nuts for the T1, bike and T2. I do not take any gels or any sugar laden stuff until deep into the run. (apart from the hot cross buns of course)

This year I am going to change it up al ittle, a marmite sarmie on the bike and pnut butter sarmie in T2 with a hot cross bun in T1. Nuts an muesli on the bike. (I normally carry them in old High 5 tubes so I know exactly how much I am eating an aim for one an hour kind of thing. Normally only have High 5 zero liquids on the bike but am going to change that this year with some carbo drink ( although yet to make a call on that but will pick up something at the expo)

Have breakfast at around 4:30 and remember to eat as you go. Its easily overlooked in the heat of battle.

Isn't it risky to try new drinks like that? I would be concerned that it upsets my stomach. I generally don't have a bad stomach, but this would probably wreck a race. I guess you are experienced, so should be fine. I don't need any food / fuel for my training yet (longest session has been 3 hours), but will be training with what I plan on racing on when my hours start ramping up. 

Can someone please take a photo of their bike with food on it and post it here. I have no idea what to do here and would love some ideas.  :huh:

Isn't it risky to try new drinks like that? I would be concerned that it upsets my stomach. I generally don't have a bad stomach, but this would probably wreck a race. I guess you are experienced, so should be fine. I don't need any food / fuel for my training yet (longest session has been 3 hours), but will be training with what I plan on racing on when my hours start ramping up. 

Can someone please take a photo of their bike with food on it and post it here. I have no idea what to do here and would love some ideas.  :huh:

Get a top bag , not sure exactly of their name. I got a lil bag that attaches to the top tube and carry stuff in my cycling shirt. I get completely dressed for each discipline and have never and will never own a tri suit. The extra minute or 2 it costs me in time makes no difference to me. So I wear full cycling outfit and proper running outfit both of which have pockets too. In shorter distances I just wear running shorts for cycle and run and swim (if not wetsuit compulsory)

Regaridng the liquid, I have no problems in that regard by trying something new so long as its not a bunny chow on the morning of the race I should be fine. I have used the GU

rocktane stuff before periodically so should be fine. I generally do not take carb drinks but will try it this year. I am fortunate in that I can eat/drink pretty much anything and be ok.

Archived