PPA Mangaung MTB Cycle Tour 2016: 29 October 2016

Startingagain

Yeah, you would think they would have organised more marshalls for those crossings in that area. Hopefully something they will think about that for next year

Yeah, you would think they would have organised more marshalls for those crossings in that area. Hopefully something they will think about that for next year

I really hope someone can take over the event from PPA and get the event were it was.(OFM Classic)

I have lost all faith and will not put my life at risk riding in conditions like Sunday. Yes, many people enjoyed the route and said it was well organised, but would they say the same if it was them or someone they know that was lying next to the road.

As for the MTB, 2015 was a brilliant event and route, but they messed up this one. What do you expect trying to put everything together in a month? 

When I saw the route (road) going through the township I decided to rather enter the MTB.

But I doubt I'll be doing the event again. I'd rather go a week earlier and do the Rose Festival race (I think that's the name)

I'm just glad I have family to stay with in BFN, I would have been very pissed off if I had to drop a lot of cash for a weekend away with and experience this.

I really hope someone can take over the event from PPA and get the event were it was.(OFM Classic)

I have lost all faith and will not put my life at risk riding in conditions like Sunday. Yes, many people enjoyed the route and said it was well organised, but would they say the same if it was them or someone they know that was lying next to the road.

As for the MTB, 2015 was a brilliant event and route, but they messed up this one. What do you expect trying to put everything together in a month?

True, I'm not saying it was great to go through that area, hell I wouldn't do it in my car never mind a bicycle.

Hopefully the N1 will be finished by next year. . . Then we can avoid that area completely. Will wait for the route nape before deciding next year, although they didn't exactly follow that route on Sunday either. . .

Glad they are keeping it going after OFM dropped them, but agreed a good title sponsor is needed

It was MTN that dropped them if I remember correctly - they were the title sponsor for the last few years before the event almost disappeared.

I think the Free State PPA can use some more experience - get some more experienced people from the Western Cape to join for the lessons learned meeting, to help with the initial planning, tips etc.

Perhaps get some of the people who were involved with the old OFM Classic to help as well (although from my experience there is probably some politics involved).

Here is my 2 cents worth. 

Firstly I think marking was not that good aspecially if you do not know the area and some of the usual routes.

Secondly I was also stoped at the Botanical gardens by 1 angry manager and a 4 ton truck parked infront of the gate to prevent the riders going through the gate.  After trying to speak to her and she cleary not keeping the her story the same.   It seems that she was upset because a fence was cut when she arrived(she said she was late) so 1 of the fathers of a junior rider who was leading a shorter distance race did cut the fence.  So she decided to show everybody who is in charge and stopped everybody.  Later on she received a phone call and did open the route again, but it was to late for most of the riders(me included).  It is unfortunate situation and not PPA's mistake, but then it comes back again, someone should have gone to areas like that to ensure that all markings is still there, gates were open, marshalls were in place, water points  were manned, ect. 

Thirdly on the road race there were so many traffic cops, lots of bike marshals and lots of PPA people on the road.  There is so many road works in Bloemfontein, that forced PPA to use all the roads available and also the taxi drivers are so aggressive in Bloem, at one of the trafic lights we also had a taxi refusing to stop, so the trafic cop was busy arguing with him, then his friend just went over a red light and almost hitting the other cop and a bike marshall.

We were informed by PPA to write our contact details on a list and they will communicate further.  Hopefully it will be better, because last year the MTB event was flawless.

I have just received an email from them regarding the MTB event, apology extended, no real explanation other than the fact that the gates should have been open and the route better marked.

Also an offer for a full refund if you reply before Monday.

Also received the mail, and my reply sent.

I'm not bothering with the refund. Sure, it was the most expensive 30km I've ever ridden, but I still enjoyed the part I did get to ride. I can understand that people from out of town are less impressed, but even then the entry fee would be less than the cost to travel and stay somewhere.

I did give some feedback, and I hope next year's events are bigger and better (and preferably no heatwave).

They can donate mine to a worthy cause

Would the PPA Free State qualify...better event next year?

Also received the mail, and my reply sent.

I'm not bothering with the refund. Sure, it was the most expensive 30km I've ever ridden, but I still enjoyed the part I did get to ride. I can understand that people from out of town are less impressed, but even then the entry fee would be less than the cost to travel and stay somewhere.

I did give some feedback, and I hope next year's events are bigger and better (and preferably no heatwave).

I do agree that although I was complaining, I liked the 30km route immensely. Here in Gauteng they do not lay out routes for weekend warriors.  They cater for elite riders and entries are dropping a bit because of the technical parts designed for professionals.  

I also agree it is not about the money, but at least PPA is doing the right thing.

I see they are asking for witnesses of the hit and run, on FB:

If anyone witnessed the hit and run incident on Sunday involving 4 cyclists injured or have any information that can be used for investigation please contact us as soonest

bloem@pedalpower.org.za
051 436 0711/ 071 864 4768

FROM THE CEO'S DESK

Dear Members

This past weekend, we hosted the Mangaung MTB and Road cycling events in Bloemfontein. The mountain bike event was called off after the start due to problems around route marking and land access permissions. 

All routes were affected and with so few riders managing to complete their chosen routes, the decision was taken to call off the event and not give anyone a time. After a well-organised event in 2015, this came as a real shock, as I saw frustrations vented and PPA blamed on social media, late morning on Saturday.

I am speaking to the team in Bloemfontein and we are still trying to get hold of the person responsible for route marking and permissions to get to the bottom of exactly what happened on Saturday, but in the meantime, all MTB participants have been offered a refund of their entry fee.

The road event on Sunday went off without an organisational hitch and the team received a lot of compliments and positive feedback. 

Unfortunately, a taxi hit 4 riders when the vehicle turned onto the route from a side road without stopping. All riders were taken to hospital, where one has remained in ICU. Liandri, our coordinator in Bloemfontein, has been in regular contact with the families, answering questions and offering assistance where needed. I have also asked her to keep in touch with the SAPS on a regular basis, to ensure this case receives their full attention. Once we have all the facts at hand, our committee with consider a possible course of action. I wish all the riders a speedy and full recovery.

Archived