Cyclist down in the Cradle

jeremyd

On Saturday at about 8:15 a cyclist collapsed near Valverde in the Cradle. Numerous people stopped to help the guy until the ambulance arrived. He was transported to hospital where by the time we got there, he had made a full recovery. He'd very much like to get in touch with the people who helped him, especially the 2 gentlemen who sat with him as well as the Lavazza guy who phoned the ambulance. Please PM so that I can put you in touch with him.

Now this isn't a punt for tracker, however, when the ambulance was phoned, they had no idea where Valverde was and we were battling to direct them. As happens, they in fact got lost as they had been dispatched in the wrong direction. The cyclelab groups have been carrying an experimental tracking unit where if something goes wrong, they can activate it and an emergency vehicle is dispatched. It was in fact from that activation that the Netcare 911 car arrived at the scene.

Just a heads up, we had to search for the any information and emergency contact details for the guy. He was fortunate that he had an iphone that one of the guys was able to open using his thumb, but had it been a Samsung with a password we wouldn't have had a way to contact his family. Please either get an ICE ID or carry some form of emergency information with you when you ride. You never know when it may be needed.

Charl he has your number already.

Samsung with password has easy access to call the ice numbers - even if it's locked.

I have emergency numbers on my Garmin startup screen, iceid band and on my phone - but you should really setup a screen on your garmin with GPS coordinates on so you can easily give those to the controller - ambulance gps can use them just like that - saves trying to figure out a street address.

Glad he is ok - thanks to all who assisted.

Doc, I have all the same setup on my devices. It's quick and easy, and could also save a life. All the people I ride with also have my wife's number; to give her the good news should I pass away whilst riding...

On Saturday at about 8:15 a cyclist collapsed near Valverde in the Cradle. Numerous people stopped to help the guy until the ambulance arrived. He was transported to hospital where by the time we got there, he had made a full recovery. He'd very much like to get in touch with the people who helped him, especially the 2 gentlemen who sat with him as well as the Lavazza guy who phoned the ambulance. Please PM so that I can put you in touch with him.

Now this isn't a punt for tracker, however, when the ambulance was phoned, they had no idea where Valverde was and we were battling to direct them. As happens, they in fact got lost as they had been dispatched in the wrong direction. The cyclelab groups have been carrying an experimental tracking unit where if something goes wrong, they can activate it and an emergency vehicle is dispatched. It was in fact from that activation that the Netcare 911 car arrived at the scene.

Just a heads up, we had to search for the any information and emergency contact details for the guy. He was fortunate that he had an iphone that one of the guys was able to open using his thumb, but had it been a Samsung with a password we wouldn't have had a way to contact his family. Please either get an ICE ID or carry some form of emergency information with you when you ride. You never know when it may be needed.

Charl he has your number already.

iPhone has ice details that you can see without unlocking the phone. Everything from allergies to current medication to emergency contact

On an iphone you can get precise current latitude and longitude co-ordinates.  It's displayed at the bottom of the compass app. Follow this procedure to switch it on:

1) Make sure that Location Services is ON. Navigate to Settings -> Location Services -> ON

2) In the list of apps under Location Services, make sure Compass is ON

3) Press the Home button to exit Settings

4) Open the Compass app

Current GPS coordinates are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

On an iphone you can get precise current latitude and longitude co-ordinates. It's displayed at the bottom of the compass app. Follow this procedure to switch it on:

1) Make sure that Location Services is ON. Navigate to Settings -> Location Services -> ON

2) In the list of apps under Location Services, make sure Compass is ON

3) Press the Home button to exit Settings

4) Open the Compass app

Current GPS coordinates are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Thanx!