Is a gravel road stage race viable?

Chris NewbyFraser

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I while back I "build" up this. Would be nice to do a gravel road race with it. I am a roadie and after ten years of trying mtb, skils still not up to standard...lol

Also don't like single track that much.

post-7189-0-49543300-1478835269_thumb.jpg

I while back I "build" up this. Would be nice to do a gravel road race with it. I am a roadie and after ten years of trying mtb, skils still not up to standard...lol

IMG-20161109-WA0010.jpg

Nice ride

attachicon.gifIMG-20161109-WA0010.jpg

What a beauty!!

it'll work.  myself and 3 friends are into any kind of cycling.  road races, marathons, MTB tours, road tours, Enduro's, pump tracks, the odd DH course so pretty much anything involving 2 wheels and a crank.  every year we try to get together and do a cycle "thing" together, whether its a one day race, a stage race, a tour or even an overseas trip.  two of our best trips to date were gravel road tours right here in the RS of A.  Just had a lot of fun and spent good time together as friends in beautiful places.

one of these trips saw us cycling from PE to Knysna through the Baviaanskloof, and another year we did a round trip in the Karoo starting from Graaff Reinet, Murraysburg, Nieu Bethesda and back.  Both trips were 400 km to 500 km in distance spanning over 5 days of riding.  really cool way to spend a few days off which leaves you fit and refreshed for the next week.

This thread got me so excited about gravel grinds, that I might have slipped, tripped and bought a CX bike by accident.....

attachicon.gifIMG-20161109-WA0010.jpg

I have also accidently bought a Slate last week. Its been to Suikerbosrand already. Will be doing lots of gravel around Bredasdorp this Desember. This year it is Fatbike on the beach and Slate for all the rest...

I have also accidently bought a Slate last week. Its been to Suikerbosrand already. Will be doing lots of gravel around Bredasdorp this Desember. This year it is Fatbike on the beach and Slate for all the rest...

Oooh ????????????????

Pics or it didn't happen

Pics or it didn't happen Patch...

Ok okkaaaayyyy.

It nothing fancy, a Spez CruX.

I needed a bike for CPT, as I am starting to commute there more regularly, so thought that this would be my CPT training bike/Gravel Race bike. Its crap, cause now I already want to keep it here :mellow:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/CruX_zpsogzt1i1e.jpg

Ok okkaaaayyyy.

I needed a bike for CPT, as I am starting to commute there more regularly, so thought that this would be my CPT training bike/Gravel Race bike. Its crap, cause now I already want to keep it here :mellow:

Another (near) invisible bike...... :whistling:

Tour of Ara not niche! It is open to any South African built pre-1999 racing bike.... And we had a great time this year!

Ok okkaaaayyyy.

Aaah

Congrats

????????

Tour of Ara not niche! It is open to any South African built pre-1999 racing bike.... And we had a great time this year!

Ok, as most cyclists have a pre 1999 SA built race bike and a week or so available to ride long days on skinny tyres over corrugated roads with a 48x19 granny gear, calling it niche is maybe the wrong word.

Happy to accept mass appeal..

Ok, as most cyclists have a pre 1999 SA built race bike and a week or so available to ride long days on skinny tyres over corrugated roads with a 48x19 granny gear, calling it niche is maybe the wrong word.

ZING! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You forgot to mention "have legs, lungs, balls and an arse of steel".

If we ever have Gravel Grind races, something like this will hopefully be my weapon of choice

post-50-0-76893400-1479101901_thumb.jpg

Archived