MTB Power Meter Options

Furbz

So i am in the market for a Power Meter for my MTB.

currently a have XTR di2 fitted to the bike

thought i would post this for anyone else in the same boat and for any feedback/advice from members.

i see there are a few options:

Stages:

XTR M9000 model. R14400. i have a 51 to 52/49 to 48 left right balance on easy rides and pretty much bang on 50/50 during harder efforts. room for some error but a nice option

Powertap:

R13500 + cost of a new lefty hub and front wheel. est R18k. thats built with 28H Mk3 Crest rims. Also not a bad option as i will be sorta upgrading the hoops. my current wheels have a 19mm internal diameter, the new Crest = 23mm. so a strong option that might lead to better handling. and no left right error.

Power2max:

R17020 and i still need to buy rings. est R19k. also no left right error. looks pretty good to. 

another solid option. but leaves me with skinny rims (not really a big issue).

InPower Rotor:

R18k to R20k and still needs rings. expensive compared to stages. still has left right leg issue.

Quarq:

R26k. still needs rings. to expensive and only Sram option - not a bad thing.

SRM:

Did not ask for quote. i expect R35k to R40k. too expensive.

So i am in the market for a Power Meter for my MTB.

currently a have XTR di2 fitted to the bike

thought i would post this for anyone else in the same boat and for any feedback/advice from members.

i see there are a few options:

Stages:

XTR M9000 model. R14400. i have a 51 to 52/49 to 48 left right balance on easy rides and pretty much bang on 50/50 during harder efforts. room for some error but a nice option

Powertap:

R13500 + cost of a new lefty hub and front wheel. est R18k. thats built with 28H Mk3 Crest rims. Also not a bad option as i will be sorta upgrading the hoops. my current wheels have a 19mm internal diameter, the new Crest = 23mm. so a strong option that might lead to better handling. and no left right error.

Power2max:

R17020 and i still need to buy rings. est R19k. also no left right error. looks pretty good to. 

another solid option. but leaves me with skinny rims (not really a big issue).

InPower Rotor:

R18k to R20k and still needs rings. expensive compared to stages. still has left right leg issue.

Quarq:

R26k. still needs rings. to expensive and only Sram option - not a bad thing.

SRM:

Did not ask for quote. i expect R35k to R40k. too expensive.

Rotor is R16k from us...

Only the first 2 in SA...  service is everything.... I have had great service from both local suppliers.

The stages is nice and light - but is left leg only - although this is not really a problem on an MTB.

The Powertap hub works really well, but does not give left/right differences at all - so although more accurate than the Stages, you don't learn anything more than you learn using the stages (and I have 1 of each)

Personally - if you can only fund 1 power meter - put one on your road bike, not an mtb - the best value you get from a pm use is from structured intervals - and a trainer is best suited for those - more so for the short intervals than the longer ones.

Do you need a L/R power meter?

Based on your options the stages/powertap looks like your best option. And from the 2 of those I would choose stages (purely because I have a set of training + racing wheels)

Edit: I agree with V12 re the road bike. However for longer races it is nice to be able to use power to pace yourself.

I had a powertap, worked great, but sold to a colleague because I wanted to use campag bora's - still works with no issues on a set of Powertap carbon (Rebranded Reynolds) rims. Three years later.

Use a Power2Max on the road bike now (Campag drive train) - fantastic power meter, proper fit and forget except for battery that needs replacement every 6 months or so. There is a local rep down in Cape Town (Andrew), but have not needed him in the 15 months I've had it

Use a Quarg on the mtb with Sram XX1 - BCD is 104 so nothing smaller than a 32. No issues, other than battery replacement, be carefull not to over tighten battery compartment, if you do the battery short out and drain in a day. Three years old and going strong.

I think both the Power2Max and Quarg assume a portion of the radius to be left or right power only, so it is an estimation only. Interestingly my L/R measures 48/52 on the Power2Max on Road bike and 52/48 on the Quarg on mtb ridden on road, so I don't place too much reliance on the L/R numbers and only worry about consistency.

I use a P2M power meter on my mtb and a quarq on the road.

No issues with the P2M, very solid and reliable unit - running it as a 1x option

Only the first 2 in SA... service is everything.... I have had great service from both local suppliers.

The stages is nice and light - but is left leg only - although this is not really a problem on an MTB.

The Powertap hub works really well, but does not give left/right differences at all - so although more accurate than the Stages, you don't learn anything more than you learn using the stages (and I have 1 of each)

Personally - if you can only fund 1 power meter - put one on your road bike, not an mtb - the best value you get from a pm use is from structured intervals - and a trainer is best suited for those - more so for the short intervals than the longer ones.

What he said! If you really dont want to miss out on watts on your mtb get a powercal. Not accurate, however it fills the holes on your pmc

thanks for the advice.

i currently am riding the P1 power pedals on my road bike.

very happy with them. 

they are slightly heavy, and the cleating is not the best.

but from a practicality standpoint they are superb!

i'm not to phased about L/R balance. it was interesting to look at at first with the P1 pedals.

but my balance is pretty good so i dont look at those metrics anymore 

i am secretly holding out for a great special on Black Friday.

Suppliers - hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge!

No easy option if you have multiple bikes as well as racing vs training wheels.

Gonna cost a lot.

Power pod could be an option. Still new, but saw a review that wasn't bad.

Sorry, saw you only have mtb. Then go for stages. Cheapest and could pick up a good 2nd hand one. Then wheels don't matter.

Archived