Don't call me crazy

PrinceVlad

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kj is kilojoules, not calories. Average male needs to eat about 8400kj or 2500 calories

2500 kcal = 10460 kj

^^^100%!

We often over-complicate things. Paralysis by analysis etc. This diet, this training plan, this bike etc etc. And often as a consequence we are avoiding the simple building blocks, that a lot of us have in short supply. What do I mean?

1. Time on the bike. For most of us, the simple act of going out on your bike for gradually increasing distances and times, without trying to rip your legs off, is more than sufficient to improve your fitness. There's a time and a place to get particular about differing HR zones, but that's for later.

2. Diet: eat meals not snacks; drink less coke and more water; if you wish, have a beer or two, but don't try and drink a whole case every night.

3. Diet on the bike: riding under an hour and a half - water only. Over an hour and a half - take an energy bottle, a water bottle and a banana or two. OVER TIME self-review. No need to initially be a hero and ride on an empty stomach for hour after hour, or alternatively to take a full course meal in your back pocket for a 40km ride!

OVER TIME self-review your fitness vs your weight. The former will be increasing and the latter reducing. If not to your satisfaction, review 1 to 3. BUT BY THAT TIME the processes of getting fitter and losing weight will have started. It's far easier to modify them, once they've started, than worrying about how to start them.

In short, keep-it-simple-at-the start, cos then you'll start today and not (maybe) tomorrow....

(I'm sure the detail of the above can, and perhaps will be challenged, but the point I'm trying to make is keep it simple....).

I agree apply the KISS rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kj is kilojoules, not calories. Average male needs to eat about 8400kj or 2500 calories

Serves me right for not reading properly!

Just want to wish you the best of luck man. You obviously have the mental fortitude by previously doing half ironman and ultra marathons which is no easy task so you will be fine.

I have also entered the C2T 260km which is the first ultra long distance 24hr MTB race I have done but planning to take it water point by water point and ENJOY the ride and scenery.

Try to mix up your training with running and swimming to make it more interesting.

Hi Guys 

Still here. Its just been hectic the past two weeks. Between my practice starting to get busy and the kids going back to school (with all the obligatory meetings at the school) I barely had time for anything else. We also started a new business so that takes a fair amount of time as well.

The training since I've been back from holiday has not been bad, but it is not where I wanted it to be. My last ride was last week Wednesday, but that has been through my own doing. I went for a ride the morning which was fine and then went for a slow ride the afternoon with my daughter on her rollerblades. The pace was so slow so I tried some of the tricks you normally see on youtube. The only difference is on youtube they are done well. So I played and played and at one stage I just lost it, came over the handlebars and my not so petite frame hit the tar with quite a force. I was fine afterward and on Thursday, but from Friday I have been so stiff it felt as if I ran a marathon.

Be that as it may, the training program starts this week so the volume will definitely pick up now and today I am back on the bike.

I have also started thinking about all the stuff I need for the race. One thing I definitely need is a dual suspension bike. I think the hardtail will kill you over that distance. So I was wondering whether there are any places where you could rent a bike for the race. Obviously my dream is to buy a proper dual suspension, but alas my budget is the problem. I tell you, that Specialized Camber is keeping me up at night!

Another thing I will have to consider is a GPS. I have a Fenix 3, but I have no idea whether it can navigate such a route. I was thinking of getting the E-trex, but I am not sure whether it will work for the race. I like that it has replaceable batteries and long battery life.

More updates to follow!

Hi Prince

I think you have passed the "cut off" point in my opinion and would seriously think of changing the goal posts?

Don't want to be negative but realistic.

Try again later with proper training and you will not do damage to yourself  or learn to dislike cycling.

(My opinion of course)

Another thing I will have to consider is a GPS. I have a Fenix 3, but I have no idea whether it can navigate such a route. I was thinking of getting the E-trex, but I am not sure whether it will work for the race. I like that it has replaceable batteries and long battery life.

More updates to follow!

Your Fenix3 definitely can do it.

We did Joberg2C a few years ago with a Fenix and Fenix2 between the 2 of us. We had some great dun training rides where we downloaded friend's routes onto our watches - was fun discovering new routes and learning how the watch works.  (As a backup, we always checked the maps of the areas first to have an idea of where to go, should the watch or, more likely,  the watch users fail) 

Hi Prince

I think you have passed the "cut off" point in my opinion and would seriously think of changing the goal posts?

Don't want to be negative but realistic.

Try again later with proper training and you will not do damage to yourself or learn to dislike cycling.

(My opinion of course)

Giving up is too hard! And with no event my motivation for training is gone!

Prince I tend to agree with Sepia unfortunately.

Also I feel that your focus may be misdirected.  While I don't doubt that having a goal is vital (many people need a specific goal in order to help maintain their motivation), I am concerned that your only reason to train is so that you can complete this race.  What about other motivators, such as becoming fit and healthy, and simple enjoyment of the sport?  

I understand that weight loss is also important - but in my experience, the weight loss will follow naturally if you focus on health, change your lifestyle and train properly.  

As your only motivation seems to be C2T, there is a real possibility that once the deadline of this race passes (whether you complete it or not), you will fall straight back into your old bad eating habits and cease training completely.  

You are also moving into danger territory with regards to the amount of mileage you need to still get under your belt and the amount of time you have to do it in.  Realistically speaking, would moving the goalposts at this point in time not be the safer and wiser thing to do?

The last thing I want for you is to do far too much too soon, injure yourself and hate the sport.  I am not trying to be negative, but there does come a point where you need to reassess what is realistically possible and the safest option for your health.

You are also moving into danger territory with regards to the amount of mileage you need to still get under your belt and the amount of time you have to do it in.  Realistically speaking, would moving the goalposts at this point in time not be the safer and wiser thing to do?

In the spirit of looking at this from another angle......can anyone suggest a similar (shorter/easier?) race around the same time for PV to use as an intermediary (alternative) goal?

You are not giving up, as you call it.  You are postponing the issue.

Why not spit the dummy now and not during the race?

Seriously, I admire your determination and guts.

There mere fact you need motivation to train and ride your bike is a problem for me right there, hence my previous post.  There should be no/little motivation to ride your bike and here you are trying to force yourself to ride.....

Prince, as Boab says.  Try a shorter distance off road first, not tar or district roads....say 40kms?

What is the longest time you have spent in the saddle training for this event in the last two weeks?

Am I missing something here? 

You are not giving up, as you call it. You are postponing the issue.

Why not spit the dummy now and not during the race?

Seriously, I admire your determination and guts.

There mere fact you need motivation to train and ride your bike is a problem for me right there, hence my previous post. There should be no/little motivation to ride your bike and here you are trying to force yourself to ride.....

Am I missing something here?

Maybe expressed myself wrong. The sole motivation for training is not just the race. It is one of the motivators. Lets call it a goal. So the main motivation is being healthier and weight loss and the race is a goal along the way.

Archived