Entry spec 29er vs Medium / Upper spec 26er?

Pieter the Batman

Hi fellow hubbers,

I have a budget of R5000 for a Mountain Bike.

I see a couple of ±R5000 entry level 29ers and medium / high end 26ers (older bikes).

I  weigh 110kg and  I found that there is a HUGE differance between entry and high end front shock responses especially on technical rides. So my choice would largely be affected by front shock.... or should it?

Brakes and shifters also plays a role when riding competative....

What would you suggest?

I would say go for the higher spec 26er. Not only will the parts and shock provide a better ride but the weight difference will also help on the hills.

Definitely higher spec 26er, once you've ridden for a while and you have the basic skills and fitness down to a T you can decide whether you want to invest in a bigger bike or not. I am 6ft4 and I ride a 26er and I cope just fine. If I were riding competitively I would consider bigger wheels but with budget and quality in mind the 26er works great.

At 110 kilos you really shouldn't be worried about weight. You should find out which one survived a higher impact test.

I'm always in the minority in this debate but I'll continue valiantly with this noble cause  :whistling:

I was in almost exactly the same situation and chose the 26er according to general hub advice

6 months later I bought a 29er

To date I strongly feel that the better specced 26er option is the worst advice I have ever gotten on thehub 

PS - The reason the better specced 26er cost the same as a lower specced 29er is because despite all the better specs its not a better bike...

Edited by Skubarra

I'm always in the minority in this debate but I'll continue valiantly with this noble cause  :whistling:

I was in almost exactly the same situation and chose the 26er according to general hub advice

6 months later I bought a 29er

To date I strongly feel that the better specced 26er option is the worst advice I have ever gotten on thehub 

PS - The reason the better specced 26er cost the same as a lower specced 29er is because despite all the better specs its not a better bike...

That is such a loaded response

what defines a better bike.

Remember that frame geometry play's more of a role in determining a bikes character than wheel size..

you can have a terrible 29er too...

Pieter, how tall are you?

I ask because I am 1.87 and although I thoroughly enjoyed riding my old 26er, When I finally bought a 29er, I felt much more confident on it

I ride 26 and 29 regularly. I would say if you ride slow (less than 15 k/h average) get the high end 26 er. If you are faster (18 to 20 plus) get the 29 er. You won't lose money on the 26 er if you buy one second hand. The discount is already built it with a second hand bike.

That is such a loaded response

what defines a better bike.

Remember that frame geometry play's more of a role in determining a bikes character than wheel size..

you can have a terrible 29er too...

I am sure there are many great scientific reasons why 26ers are better or wheelsize actually makes no difference, I based my response entirely on my own experience and anecdotes of others I ride with. Also on the fact that I barely see any 26ers at events nowadays, I would take the 29er and upgrade over time (if the OP likes mtb'ing the R5K is only the start of his spending anyway and if not the 29er will be easier to sell  ^_^ )