Is this A crack (serious advice needed)

BaGearA

So here is a pic of the weld that connects my seatstay to the seat tube on the drive side of my cotic soul 650.

Now the line /crank in question is obvious only I'm not sure at all , Ican only barely feel it with my finger nail and after pulling and pushing and bending the frame as can by stepping on the pedal and pushing down and so on I can hear no creaking nor feel any movement around the area at all.

So what is your opinion ? 

Is it maybe just the paint flacking ?  Or is my beloved frame now junk? :(

*********************SEAT POST was more than 100mm in the frame and far from being near the limit on the post itself.

post-46013-0-83587500-1480176050_thumb.png

Definitely not a crank! :).

Had tk tell if its a crack and guess the only way to check is to remove the paint completely arpund that area to see if it is the frame.

Agree, looks like a crack.

If you know someone with an ultrasound machine, it might be useful to get an ultrasound done to see if its only superficial

Perhaps shine a bright light onto the area to see if there is any penetration

Go to a welding supply shop and buy crack detector spray . 2 x spray cans - 1 red and 1 white - follow the instructions - works like charm.

Lets say it is a crack , can i have someone remove the paint and re weld it ?

If yes would it be as strong or is it just going to fail again?

Reynolds steel.

I'm the second owner   :(

Damn,don't see that it would be a prob to weld it but only a pro welder would be able to confirm that for you.

Damn,don't see that it would be a prob to weld it but only a pro welder would be able to confirm that for you.

It actually pisses me off !! cause there were many brands I was considering for my Am hardtail build, I wound up going with cotic because of their reputation of taking anything you can throw at it and never break.

And now this ................and I know people that push their cotics waaaayyyy harder than me.

Maybe its just my crap luck 

Hubber Ampandy is a good place to start.

Personally I would ask Ampandy what he thinks, such a nice guy and very knowledgeable too.

I think the chances of welding a steel frame are better than an alu one as alu is very much affected by heat, dont think its as serious with steel though. 

Pm'ed Ampandy , waiting to see what he recons

Hopefully surgery will solve the problem :ph34r:

Andy will sort it - better start thinking about paint colours....

Andy will sort it - better start thinking about paint colours....

Was going to say.... As I'm sure if its rewelded there's a heat treatment and paint job required as well...

On the bright side it can be completely personalised now.

Archived