PPA warns cyclists not to use Paarden Island cycle lane after latest attack

News bot

Just use the singletrack on the harbour side to link Marine drive to Church street. 

If I posted a picture the beauty I was riding, you'd understand why I wanted to stay on the tar.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fix and continue to maintain the fence, secure the fence in and around the Woodstock bridge (this by itself is a mess), remove the campers from the area, remove/clear all big bushes/shrubs etc.

In other words, look after your billion rand investment and do not let it go down the drain because of a lack of effort.

How difficult can this be?

Edited by The Commuter

How nice would have been to rather see this topic:-

"PPA demands swift and decisive action from City of Cape Town after horrific attacks on cyclists on bike path in the area of the Woodstock bridge!"

Now we just get warned off.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning a bit of history for those who don't know.

There used to be a sizable community of vagrants that lived next to the N1 and under the old bridges there. When the new bus and cycle lanes were built, they had to move. There was a lot of resistance and some remained or returned. There is little doubt that the criminal element live there in cardboard and plastic shelters and break the fences, rob people and escape into the surrounding areas. Currently it seems that there is no will to deal with the problem. The City of Cape Town seems helpless because the shelters are on the N1 verge and that is under the control of central government as it is a National Road. SANRAL seems unfazed that people erect shelters 2 metres from the edge of the N1. Metrorail owns the adjacent land and also cannot bother to keep their fences fixed and their property free of criminals.

Did you make it?

Made it,no baddy's around.This morning I oversleptfor 1/2 hour and did not want to take on the Marine Dr offramp onto FW De Klerk and FW as the traffic was building up ,so I did hijack alley .Only passed 1 well dressed guy .It was just getting light.Not so keen to do that in the dark.