Is this a stolen bike?

nich the d

I saw a Giant xtc Aluxx SL 26er size Large for sale in Wynberg yesterday.

It's a white frame with red accents (2012?) - couldn't get a serial number.

Blue Chris Willemse sticker on the chain stay; one white and red Giant bottle holder, one black holder. Back tyre is well worn.

Why am I suspicious?

1. It still has trail dirt on it - even if I was selling to a pawn shop I'd wash my bike.

2. There is an inner tube taped to the seat post.

It's quite common to see a tube taped to the seatpost; if I was suspicious of every bike with a tube taped to the seatpost I'd have reported a few hubbers already...

I saw a Giant xtc Aluxx SL 26er size Large for sale in Wynberg yesterday.

It's a white frame with red accents (2012?) - couldn't get a serial number.

Blue Chris Willemse sticker on the chain stay; one white and red Giant bottle holder, one black holder. Back tyre is well worn.

Why am I suspicious?

1. It still has trail dirt on it - even if I was selling to a pawn shop I'd wash my bike.

2. There is an inner tube taped to the seat post.

No. Nobody steals a 26er. They are give-a ways. :devil:

Reasons stated are not really reasons to be suspicious.

Here are some better reasons to be suspicious:

• Bike been sold for much less than it's market value.
  • Seller can't tell you about the components on the bike (especially the case for middle to high end bikes.)
  • Bike is listed in stolen bike database.
Edited by GaryvdM

Reasons stated are not really reasons to be suspicious.

Here are some better reasons to be suspicious:

• Bike been sold for much less than it's market value.
  • Seller can't tell you about the components on the bike (especially the case for middle to high end bikes.)
  • Bike is listed in stolen bike database.

this should then pretty much answer you question, pm the hubber let he/she go check it out

It's quite common to see a tube taped to the seatpost; if I was suspicious of every bike with a tube taped to the seatpost I'd have reported a few hubbers already...

Cant say I've seen many bikes for sale that still have tubes taped to them. Must be a Northern Cape thing. 

• 3 months later...

Geez people, the OP is just trying to do a good deed by highlighting a bike spotted that may be somebody's missing steed.  :rolleyes:

I'm all for making it known to a large forum like this - if it is a stolen bike, hope this helps to reunite with the owner. If it is a legitimate sale - GLWS to the owner!

Geez people, the OP is just trying to do a good deed by highlighting a bike spotted that may be somebody's missing steed.  :rolleyes:

I'm all for making it known to a large forum like this - if it is a stolen bike, hope this helps to reunite with the owner. If it is a legitimate sale - GLWS to the owner!

Ja agreed. Some okes acting like real asses.