Raleigh Bomber (family heirloom)

Spoke n Bean

Heh, awesome trip down memory lane. My first bike was a Raleigh Bomber, blue, with a single speed freewheel. Think I was in Std 3 or 4, which would make that 1986 or 1987.

Great stuff Steve. just mind she doesn't take it back! The way it's looking now, I just know she at least thought about it.

What's your plan with the city golf sport? Is that the 1800 version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ja, that's Betty, she was my first car, 1988 Citi Sport 1600 carb, still has the old grill and slanted back nose, sho and that golf has a story of its own. I bought her at a very desperate time in my life with my last few bucks from a friend who's grandma passed on and left him the car, only had 160000km on when I bought her in '07.

I redid alot of things over time, thanks to her getting me to my first ever proper job, the engine pipes and dressing details etc, fixed some leaks, new radiator, new citigolf seats from a salvage yard (I spent weekends in scrapyards just going crazy on little details), sound system and 17's (I was a young "snotneus" so we all did that at a stage). I left some dents as the car is so old, she'd need a respray to have fixed them, she's literally got a small dent at least on every panel, because old ladies and trolleys I'm guessing, but it's character.

In 2010 I gave it to my brother when he turned 21 as a birthday gift, she served him well but her age eventually caught up with her, she overheated once in 2014 somewhere and then my brother made a basic fix (just replaced the thermostat) but she kept misfiring, I checked the oil, no water in there, no oil in the water either so I was stumped!!!  Probably electrical...

So when my gran on my dad's side passed away, she left him her old sapphire (1991 with 41000km on it!!!) and the golf has been parked since.

Last month my brother said I can have her back because he's off to the cape and getting married soon, but I get her back in her current condition, so I'm just saving some moolah to fix her up, I'll probably sell her on to a deserving enthusiast some time or other. But for now, I'm buying his half of our house that we bought back in 2013, so I'm focusing my funds on paying that and staying sane :)

Sorry I'm quite a story teller, so enjoy these useless details about me...

Great stuff Steve. just mind she doesn't take it back! The way it's looking now, I just know she at least thought about it.

She actually jokingly said: "ok, laai hom maar in my kar sodat ek hom kan terugvat" but then laughed and admitted it would just stand and never get used again..