Power Meters?

UltraRunner_ZA

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want.

GCN (Global Cycling Network) on YouTube has a good video to watch, only a few minutes.

I needed one ASAP and will limited cash so I went for the Stages as it was available. Picked up the Dura Ace Model for 7k.

It only measures left hand side power (then multiplies by 2) thus assuming an equal balance and whenever I give the bike a thorough wash it freaks out and I have to change the battery - even with using a packet or insulation tape.

But it has been my most effective piece of training equipment as I can use it on m R800 IDT as well as on the road.

Looking back if I had to change I would get one in the spider as it gives a left/right balance (Think its the sram quark [spelling]). and you have it if you change wheels, which ruled out a hub power meter.

Good luck, you will only realise how amazing training with power is when you try it!

From DCRainmaker

Actual or True Left/Right Power: This is limited to units that can measure your power in more than one location.  Thus why we see it on pedals, as well as the more expensive crank-arm or pedal based power meters.  You can’t measure it directly at the spider, instead you have to measure it upstream of that such as the cranks (ROTOR dual system, Infocrank’s dual system, Pioneer’s dual system, WatTeam, Shimano’s dual system, 4iiii’s dual system), pedals (Garmin, bePRO, Polar/Look, Look alone, Xpedo), or cleats (Brim Brothers).

Read more here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/power-meters-buyers-guide2016-edition.html

Yes you will need new spokes, the R25.00 quoted is for round double butted spokes. if you want bladed be prepared to pay anything from R75.00 - R125.00 / spoke. The existing spokes we unfortunately unable to use as the lengths are different.

The GS hub makes use of straight pull spokes. 

Well that now makes it much more expensive. Existing spokes are bladed, and I am not going to rebuild the front wheel and don't want to have a mix n match wheelset...

Back to the drawing board, or just need to wait a bit longer for Powermeter prices to come further down. Thanks.

Well that now makes it much more expensive. Existing spokes are bladed, and I am not going to rebuild the front wheel and don't want to have a mix n match wheelset...

Back to the drawing board, or just need to wait a bit longer for Powermeter prices to come further down. Thanks.

Speak to Warren at Token about spokes and building the wheel

Bicyclepower, do you offer any training courses on "how to train with power"?

Just a thought....

Good point...... perhaps something we need to explore for 2017....... a series of talks on power 101 then power 201 ??? Love the suggestion..... let me get onto it...... Thank you. 

What Token wheels do you have ?? We will need to try find the ERD to calculate spokes and then see who has and at what pricing..... 

What Token wheels do you have ?? We will need to try find the ERD to calculate spokes and then see who has and at what pricing..... 

I have the token C50's - 2015 spec. Would appreciate a cost estimate on the spokes etc, if it fits the budget then will gladly place an order for the hub.

What's your power needs ? Training wise ? Before you choose , rethink your requirements ? Indoor VS Outdoor.

I got power meter but a smart trainer makes me stronger, I hardly race with my power meter and only use it when pacing up a climb. So my choice to get a power meter first was not smart, as I wanted to get stronger. Not blessed with much outdoor time in the week and come weekend its mainly Z2/3 rides.

What's your power needs ? Training wise ? Before you choose , rethink your requirements ? Indoor VS Outdoor.

I got power meter but a smart trainer makes me stronger, I hardly race with my power meter and only use it when pacing up a climb. So my choice to get a power meter first was not smart, as I wanted to get stronger. Not blessed with much outdoor time in the week and come weekend its mainly Z2/3 rides.

I have delayed the purchase of a powermeter becuase of similar reasons. I have a Powerbeam Pro which meets all my requirements for intervals, but I do get bored of riding indoors so this will help to maintain training levels when going out.

Edited by Veeez

Very good point, for power tests I go to my Virgin Active for the watt bike.

First get yourself copies of :

Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Andrew Coggan and Hunter Allen

isbn: 9781934030554

The Cyclist Training Bible by Joe Friel 

isbn: 9781934030202

As for training, Nic and Di White normally does a training with power talk once a quarter at the Complete Cycle bicycle shops.

There is some good, short youtube clips, also one of 2 good pdf's around, if you want pm me and I can email it to you.

G

Bicyclepower, do you offer any training courses on "how to train with power"?

Just a thought....

Edited by awesme

Please update this three once you have ideas here.

Finished reading Andrew Coggan's and Hunter Allen's book, busy with Joe Friel's book at the moment.

G

Good point...... perhaps something we need to explore for 2017....... a series of talks on power 101 then power 201 ??? Love the suggestion..... let me get onto it...... Thank you. 

Yes you will need a head unit.  With a power meter on your bike irrespective of make or model you will need a head unit (like a garmin, joule, wahoo, bryton etc) that can show you power in real time as you ride (same as seeing speed, cadence etc).  Choice of head unit is dependent on the protocol of the power meter, either Ant+, BLE or both.

When training such as on an indoor trainer you can use software and apps.  Main list of software here https://www.wahoofitness.com/media/downloads/KICKR_App_Comparison_Table.pdf although there will be a few others.  As long as you can pair your power meter with choice of interface (PC, tablet, Phone) you can use any of the apps with any power meter.  When training on an IDT the most common apps are trainerroad, Cycleops and Swift.

Then as NSBB said you will need to understand what all the power stuff means and how to understand and use the analysis properly

Read some books

http://www.takealot.com/training-and-racing-with-a-power-meter/PLID9181511

http://www.takealot.com/the-power-meter-handbook/PLID35531029

Once you understand then there is further software like Golden Cheetah you can use to analyse your power output, curves etc.

Thanks for the info.  I've been using a Kickr for a while indoors, so I have an idea of power training and how to use it, however I don't make use of any advanced analytics tools.  I just use the Kickr Android app and it doesn't give much in terms of analytics.  Didn't bother to subscribe to Strava Premium to see what it will give me extra.

So in terms of the head units...  What's the best to get?

Thanks for the info.  I've been using a Kickr for a while indoors, so I have an idea of power training and how to use it, however I don't make use of any advanced analytics tools.  I just use the Kickr Android app and it doesn't give much in terms of analytics.  Didn't bother to subscribe to Strava Premium to see what it will give me extra.

Strava Premium isn't going to add any benefit to power training.

I've looked at Golden Cheetah before but it seems you have to upload every workout manually , not sure if still the same or if it has been updated.

I think Training Peaks might be the best option, as you can sync workouts automatically.

For head units, I think Garmin will be best to go. Edge 520 will meet all your needs.

Edit, you can also sync from your Kickr to TP.

Edited by Veeez

With the Kickr in your pain cave propose a iPad or Samsung tab and use Trainerroad to drive it.

Out on the trails, a Garmin Edge 520 or 820 is the pack leaders at the moment, or Wahoo's own new unit is also looking good, would look at it when they go color screen though.

edit: oops forgot to mention, as for software to do analytics, the top 3 choices would be TrainingPeaks, the online version, their WKO4 client or GoldenCheetah.

G

Edited by awesme