Newlands to tokia mast via the nek route file oo group ride

jmt.row

Hi Everyone

In CT for a few days and with the 2 recent openings in this nek of the woods we hoping on doing a ride linking it together tomorrow morning, i believe its possible to link some green belt into this also.

But im guessing local knowlage is key with this greenbelt section, so does anyone know a group doing something simlar or a long shot have a file of roughly this route?

This should help you:

From Newlands to Constantia Nek will take you to the top of the greenbelt:

https://www.strava.com/segments/13735357

Then you'll go down the greenbelt and turn into the lower Tokai forest:

https://www.strava.com/segments/13815286

At the end of the the Greenbelt segment you'll cross over Orpen Road and then follow the path up to Tokai Road which will then get you into the proper Tokai MTB trails.

Then finally you'll roughly do the following (This will be slightly different since the re-opening) to get you to the mast:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1239318

Enjoy the ride :)

Great thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Come on, make it an Epic ride:

Start at Signal Hill, along Tafelberg road, then jeep track past Rhodes Memorial and on through Newlands.....etc as explained above........then from the Mast on Constantiaberg, go down and on to do Silvermine, down the Ou Kaapse Wapad to Noordhoek and you have an easy tar run along the Atlantic back to where you started. Oh, and you get Chappies and Suikerbossie in as well, for cooling down after your climbing fest.

And be sure to write us a good report.

Start at Signal Hill, along Tafelberg road, then jeep track past Rhodes Memorial and on through Newlands.....etc as explained above........then from the Mast on Constantiaberg, go down and on to do Silvermine, down the Ou Kaapse Wapad to Noordhoek and you have an easy tar run along the Atlantic back to where you started. Oh, and you get Chappies and Suikerbossie in as well, for cooling down after your climbing fest.

i'm tired from just reading that

i'm tired from just reading that

Ha ha, yes, it is the exact thing I have advocated for years, and now that it is possible, I need to train first........

This should help you:

From Newlands to Constantia Nek will take you to the top of the greenbelt:

https://www.strava.com/segments/13735357

Then you'll go down the greenbelt and turn into the lower Tokai forest:

https://www.strava.com/segments/13815286

At the end of the the Greenbelt segment you'll cross over Orpen Road and then follow the path up to Tokai Road which will then get you into the proper Tokai MTB trails.

Then finally you'll roughly do the following (This will be slightly different since the re-opening) to get you to the mast:

https://www.strava.com/segments/1239318

Enjoy the ride :)

Can't believe I'm still Top10  :ph34r:

Saw some pictures from the jeep track up to the mast. It looks like some parts of it have been paved somehow? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im not sure we have the time to do the full monster tomorrow morning but for sure we will do a full lap at some stage. Will let you know if we work out the green belt section (its the only part i dont know well).

Can't believe I'm still Top10  :ph34r:

Saw some pictures from the jeep track up to the mast. It looks like some parts of it have been paved somehow? Can anyone confirm?

Yes, they have concreted some of the steeper parts of the jeep track on your way up, just before and after the switchbacks turn off. This was mainly to allow Sentec vehicles easier access on the way up, because it got very rough and loose over the last few years. Most of the jeep track is still gravel.

Start at Signal Hill, along Tafelberg road, then jeep track past Rhodes Memorial and on through Newlands.....etc as explained above........then from the Mast on Constantiaberg, go down and on to do Silvermine, down the Ou Kaapse Wapad to Noordhoek and you have an easy tar run along the Atlantic back to where you started. Oh, and you get Chappies and Suikerbossie in as well, for cooling down after your climbing fest.

Sounded really cool until you turned right after Ou Wa Pad

I would have just cut through the golf course and gone for an ice cream in Kalk Bay

Well that was abit longer than i anticipated, possibly should have started earlier, taken abit more fluids. But a great pedal non the less.

Lost the green belt on the way out as the mtb route came out by the cirlce not southern cross (then i took the wrong tar road down) but found it on the way back as we linked onto someone the same speed as us. Very cool piece of route.

My wife was well upset when the mast was not at the very very top, photo evidence of her off to find the highest point.

Disclaimer before someone thinks we crazy, we did not do the above kirstenbosch section on the way home.

post-9608-1481973168753.jpgpost-9608-14819732118496.jpgpost-9608-14819732277629.jpgpost-9608-14819732390564.jpgpost-9608-14819732599475.jpgpost-9608-14819732694512.jpgpost-9608-14819732793486.jpgpost-9608-14819732954691.jpgpost-9608-14819732694512.jpg

Well that was abit longer than i anticipated, possibly should have started earlier, taken abit more fluids. But a great pedal non the less.

Lost the green belt on the way out as the mtb route came out by the cirlce not southern cross (then i took the wrong tar road down) but found it on the way back as we linked onto someone the same speed as us. Very cool piece of route.

My wife was well upset when the mast was not at the very very top, photo evidence of her off to find the highest point.

Disclaimer before someone thinks we crazy, we did not do the above kirstenbosch section on the way home.

20161217_104922.jpg 20161217_103237.jpg 20161217_102639.jpg 20161217_102433.jpg 20161217_102639.jpg 20161217_102120.jpg 20161217_095719.jpg 20161217_101040.jpg 20161217_102120.jpg

Hey, I know that kit, i passed you guys on the newlands trails, must first time too.

Was just before the portage bit, then you guys passed me again just after!

Archived