365 for 365

I have wondered, mostly, whether I will ride on Jan 1, 2019. The rest would follow... or not.

My missus would feel that this is not a repeatable exercise. That could be a current state of affairs, with toddlers at the garage door at 20:15 last night wondering when daddy will tuck them in. Not that she actually vocalised this...

Anyhoo, back to the job at hand: Mid-term reports due this weekend? 

Yip.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lately while training I found myself wondering if I’ll do it next year again.... and if the min exercise time should be increased by 10 minutes....

I've tried, where possible, to do a minimum of 30 minutes. I've counted 5 workouts at 20-29 minutes while the rest have been 30+ minutes.

As for next year... that's a problem for December.

I want to keep the habit but rather do x calories every day. Some of my 20min walking the dogs shouldn’t really qualify (only cheating myself I guess) but at least it gets me of the couch.

Mid-term Report

This is a tale of three goals.

The one is the obvious, ride every day in 2018. I made my criterion a minimum of one hour, and it must be on the bike/wattbike, but that is just for me - the 20-minute thing is just fine, as is the mowing the lawn/walking the dogs/buying the sunday papers thing. I haven't kept track, but with young kids I do a lot of that, too, so there is probably at least three or four hours a week on daddy duty, over and above the running total. Ek wou mos. The important thing in this challenge, though, is that each of us has different time pressures, and my criteria are different from everyone else's. An effort a day is all that is needed to stay in our game, however it is done. I have not included the odd trail run, either, for the purity of my personal challenge... The half-term report shows 195 rides, with not a day skipped. A+

The other two are tailored to my idiotic brain, which (I am told by those closest to me) is more idiotic than most.

Goal two is to reach 10 000 miles in distance. 16 100km. For no reason other than it is a round number, and a lot. The half-term report shows 8 436km. A+

Goal three is to average two hours a day. IE 730 hours for the year. Again, no good reason, just because it is there. The half-term report shows 354 hours, 11 hours behind but with some lovely summer months looming in the distance that should be catchable. A- 

I have been quite good with recovery rides - there have only been two little episodes where overtraining seemed imminent - so it has actually been fairly easy to keep going. I structure my week days around getting in front of the computer by 7am so I can work in my hour, or whatever the day holds, and then get on the bike later in the morning - this is a blessing in winter. Warm and light is much easier to motivate for. Flexi-time is the bomb.

Fitness has been interesting to track (just using Strava's built-in version). I have had a few years in the last ten where I have started well, similar hours by the end of March, and then got lazy. This is the first time in decades I have managed to carry on. The graph shows how lekker that is - I am flipping tired a lot of the time (but not drastically so), but my base 'fitness'  level just rises and rises. Riding at threshold on my favourite test segments, I can see the progression downwards in time, and I am hitting w/kg values over 5-minute-plus efforts that I would be happy with rested and ready to race. And that is without any structure or goal setting, other than just getting out on the bike and riding to feel. 

post-86413-0-04535100-1530363227_thumb.png

SO. Would I do this again? I thought about that a lot riding in the pissing rain this afternoon, and I think probably not exactly like this. I do need this kind of motivation to keep from getting lazy, so I have another 180-something days to come up with Project B... weekly mileage, weekly altitude gain... who knows what idiotic idea will drop in next.

Suggestions welcome.

This is so much fun, thanks guys!

Today is day 182, so technically tomorrow at lunch time (high noon) is the halfway point of the year (182.5 * 2 = 365). With that said, my mid-term report coincides with the end of this week (week 26).

I guess, like Tim, my objectives for the year can also be broken into three... a workout every day, run 800Km and ride 8000Km.

Principle goal: Workout at least once a day, every day for the year - with my criterion being at least 30-mins. 17 of the workouts were between 20-30 mins, which meets the 365 challenge but falls short of my own goal. At least half of these workouts were recovery days when I was training from a 0Km base to run 10Km. The other half were post-10Km race day, and possibly due to time constraints (work, family or fatigue). 195 workouts completed, with 178 above 30-mins = A

Running Goal: Goal for the year was to average 15Km per week (15*52=780). Currently sitting on 487Km, so I am well ahead of schedule, and happy with the progress so far. Have a 21Km lined up for November, so lots of time to condition myself to complete my first 21Km in less than 2 hours, without it affecting my cycling too much. 

88 workouts = A+

Cycling Goal: Decided last year that I wasn't going to renew my racing licence, as running and this 365 challenge would hamper any plans to do structured training. In hindsight, it's been a good decision, as I'm enjoying that feeling of "just riding". Racing with my club mates in the first quarter of 2018 was tough - the running has made me slow, and I struggled to stay with the bunch (mostly on the climbs). Thank goodness for course knowledge, years of experience and a "never-say-die" attitude, I was able to haul myself over the inclines and rejoin the bunch on the descent/flats without going too far into the red. 

As the general fitness of running improves, and I become used to doing both, I'm finding the running is now starting to compliment my riding. I still suffer when chasing down the attacks, but it's getting better with time.

An IM 70.3 training plan (without swimming) has given me hope that I can be semi-competitive in the spring races. Race A and B have been identified, as well as a number of 10Km (running) races ending with my home town's 21Km the week before the 947 Cycle Challenge.

107 workouts, with 3724Km means I am 276Km behind the planned 8000Km goal for the year = A+

Final say - I'm ahead on running, and slightly behind on cycling, yet only 282Km behind my best YTD total (while electronic records exist). Below is my recorded history for all activities, and the PMC below that. Happy for now - enjoying the challenge, and the alternative goals that I wouldn't have considered this time last year.

post-1372-0-36528300-1530435292_thumb.png

post-1372-0-44992900-1530435090_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Still ticking along nicely...

This weekend I got rained on 3 out 3 times, Friday, Saturday and Sunday

Cycling shoes nice and wet and bike now filthy

Question:

Currently the 365 strava Training log page only shows running and cycling activities. Is there a way to change this so it includes all activities?

Any other activity besides running, cycling and swimming will show an XT below the day’s workout.

Scroll up a few posts and you’ll see my XT in the Sunday column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

Any other activity besides running, cycling and swimming will show an XT below the day’s workout.

Scroll up a few posts and you’ll see my XT in the Sunday column.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen that.... will look tonight.

Still think seeing the 365 is open to any form of exercise that it would be better if more were shown in the same way as running and cycling

Still think seeing the 365 is open to any form of exercise that it would be better if more were shown in the same way as running and cycling

That would require Strava to be part of this... not sure they really care right now. But I have made contact to see if it can be something official from their side for next year. I suspect the answer will be no. Imagine how much admin...

Was slightly incorrect on my previous statement...

• If you select Cycling, everything else is marked as XT;
  • If you select Running, everything else is also marked as XT;
  • If you select Multi-Sport, as I have, then it shows Swim, Cycle, Run with everything else as XT.

as I'm running and riding, I have it on Multi-sport as default.

That would require Strava to be part of this... not sure they really care right now. But I have made contact to see if it can be something official from their side for next year. I suspect the answer will be no. Imagine how much admin...

Was slightly incorrect on my previous statement...

• If you select Cycling, everything else is marked as XT;
  • If you select Running, everything else is also marked as XT;
  • If you select Multi-Sport, as I have, then it shows Swim, Cycle, Run with everything else as XT.

as I'm running and riding, I have it on Multi-sport as default.

Now i looked for the XT i see it... XT = Cross training

As Frosty said depending on your selection all other activities that do not form part of your selection will be marked as XT

post-182-0-77619500-1532766109_thumb.jpg

Still think it would be nice if the XT was more obvious...i.e. as a ballon instead of hidden (almost) at the bottom

Anyway...thanks guys and enjoy the training...rain messed up my long ride plan this morning

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed the last few days that my training is not updating straight away on strava when i upload.

As I use polar all my training uploads to Polar flow, but also did an IDT ride which uploads to Rouvey straight away and this also took awhile before it showed on my strava profile. Normally it uploads to strava very quickly.

Has anyone else experienced this lately?