2017 Specialized Camber

partydave

Hi guys,

Any owners or peeps with an opinion on the 2017 Spez Camber 29 (Entry level version)

I had a look at one at an LBS and it looks like a great upgrade from my Scott Scale 940 hardtail.

It's very poorly specced, but parts from my HT will migrate to it; ZTR Crest wheels, SRAM X9 drive train and so on.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated 

Also looking at this, my upgrade would be from a Scott spark carbon.

Took a 29" demo bike out for a spin at Harkerville Red. Components weren't great, but a really capable xc/trail combo.

check that it's boost ready...only drawback at the moment with the current bike trends..

Only the ladies Camber 650B is boost. Non on the 29er modles are boost.

If you judge a bike based on spec, rather look at other brands.

But as far as ride goes, nothing compairs

If you are going tobe upgrading parts then I would say go for it. The Camber has an amazing ride, and is a great all rounder! Only thing that I would say is a draw-back on the bikes below "Comp" level is the poor brakes and suspension - I am assuming you will not be migrating that?

In that case it may be worth it to spend a bit more on a Comp model (I believe there is an alu version that is not too badly priced).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I may be keeping my HT frame to build a SS rigid, so this leaves me with the following components to swing over the the Camber. 

Wheels: ZTR Crest on Shimano hubs. How are the Camber wheels/hubs? I'm torn between keeping my current WS, the stock WS or going for American Classics. I will need to convert to through axle if keeping the ZTRs though

Drive train: Currently SRAM X9  1 x 10 with Kalbo 34T that has served me well. The cassette and chain will need replacing soon, but I see no reason to not use it

Crank: Seriously abused XT crank currently, will keep the Camber crank

Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 currently. Will look at upgrading as I have only had trouble with these

Bars: I ride a 720 Rapide bar, will swap over to the Camber

Saddle: Spez Power, will keep this

Fork: Scott 940 has a straight steerer. I have the option of a Rockshox or Fox fork from the LBS, but still need to establish models available

If I was you I would REALLY REALLY REALLY try go one up to the Alu Camber Comp for the following reasons:

1. FORK is a big upgrade: Revelation vs Recon Silver

2. RIMS: 29mm internal Roval Traverse vs 24mm internals - That makes a huge difference in trail shredding and ride quality on 2.3 tyres at 1.6 bar pressures. I would keep the Crests for your SS. Not really a Camber type wheel - but it also depends on your riding style.

3. Race Face Crank - You say your crank is done, so that's a nice upgrade.

4. SRAM 2 x 11 GX - What more do you need? Great Grouppo

5. Shimano M506 Brakes - You said you need new brakes - These are not bling like XT but absolutely bulletproof and just work all the time.

In short: Buy The Camber Comp Alu, Don't mess with swopping out parts - Build a cool SS and sell the rest on the hub. It WILL be worth it.

Its a no brainer for me.

PS: Just the cost of a new fork, through axle conversions and new brakes justifies the step up to the comp model.

Did I mention that you should buy up to the Alu Comp model??

Edited by MuddyMike

Luckily it's "only" a 10 grand difference

Too much to drop on a bike at once unfortunately. 

Pity, man, you get way more than R10k worth of bike.

Good luck either way.

At least I'm confident that I won't be anywhere near the limit of the Comp 29 with my skill level 

You will be surprised, these bikes make most people look good, I have the skills of a log, but its taken me to places and routes I have never dreamed of. Enjoy the ride.

Hi guys,

Any owners or peeps with an opinion on the 2017 Spez Camber 29 (Entry level version)

I had a look at one at an LBS and it looks like a great upgrade from my Scott Scale 940 hardtail.

It's very poorly specced, but parts from my HT will migrate to it; ZTR Crest wheels, SRAM X9 drive train and so on.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated 

Wasn't there something along the lines of a Niner frame  on it's way? 

Edited by IH8MUD

Wasn't there something along the lines of a Niner frame  on it's way? 

Correct and has found a new home in a CT garage due to some unforeseen financial obligations 

Edited by partydave