Lane Hoggers

Moondust

Two things im made of skin and bone. Cars are made from steel and glass mostly. A 1ton vehicle colliding with an 100kg person. Which will get more damaged and which can be repaired easier. I WILL MOVE THANk YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.  To me, no matter what argument anyone tries to have about their "rights as cyclist", I still have a family that I will leave behind if a car hits me.  Therefore, being the one that will end up worst of the two when colliding with a car, I choose to rather be the more humble and give way to a car.  MOST drivers of cars, buses and trucks do not know my rights as a cyclist (geez they don't even know how to stop at a red traffic light for that matter!), and will not give a crap as in South Africa everyone thinks their time is more valuable than those around them, and as such they do not need to care about human life. So how can I expect them to behave like someone that knows and appreciates my rights?  

So yeah, I guess its anyone's choice to think they need to enforce their right as a cyclist just as its my choice to rather move over.  I just think you don't need a degree in physics to know who's going to loose in the end if a car and bike connects.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ag FFS another bitch and moan thread.

OP, what did you loose by waiting/backing down? Did you loose anything meaningful to your life? Why is it so difficult for people to be patient?

Why didn't you and mister perfect (your hubby) next to you hit the hazard lights to indicate to the cars behind you that there is an issue in front of you, and in doing so protect fellow cyclists? You would know being a cyclist that there would've been a valid reason for them to wander into the driving lane....?

Ag nee wat, kerm kerm kerm oor alles

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ag FFS another bitch and moan thread.

OP, what did you loose by waiting/backing down? Did you loose anything meaningful to your life? Why is it so difficult for people to be patient?

Why didn't you and mister perfect (your hubby) next to you hit the hazard lights to indicate to the cars behind you that there is an issue in front of you, and in doing so protect fellow cyclists? You would know being a cyclist that there would've been a valid reason for them to wander into the driving lane....?

Ag nee wat, kerm kerm kerm oor alles

Ag FFS another bitch and moan post.

ADHD kids who want to settle scores right here, right now. Combine that with keyboard warriors. No strategic, long term vision or plan. Just B & M

Ag FFS another bitch and moan post

I wasn't moaning, I was mocking you for moaning about moaning.

Edit: this isn't a moany post either, it's an explainy one ;)

I wasn't moaning, I was mocking you for moaning about moaning.

Edit: this isn't a moany post either, it's an explainy one ;)

Uhm, I was mocking you too seeing that you are all seriaas again tonight...????

My point in question was, can't people just relax and grow some patience-balls. Just let others be. The OP could just as easily decided to hit the hazard lights to protect fellow cyclists until such time that they can get past.

Anyways, not meant to be a moaning-bitching post. Just explanatory????

Except on the N1 between Polokwane and Pretoria.... That piece of road has its own set of crazy rules. Cars overtaking on the left being overtaken by vehicles in the far left yellow lane.

120km/h is also generally used as a minimum speed

And those cycling on the N4 Rustenburg highway between the M17 and Dr. Van der Merwe offramps surely don't value their lives.

The motorists have no patience and minimum speed is 135km/h

And this is the exact wording from the act.

Reg 298A.(1) Subject to subregulation (2) and regulation 298(1)(e), no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

(2) Notwithstanding subregulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction—

(a) while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

b) if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

© if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

You may do so, and when you deem it is safe to do so.

If there is on coming traffic it is def not safe. On countless occasions the overtaking car has some part of the vehicle in the oncoming lane. Even when there is a solid line people are bullied into using the yellow lane.

You may do so, and when you deem it is safe to do so.

If there is on coming traffic it is def not safe. On countless occasions the overtaking car has some part of the vehicle in the oncoming lane. Even when there is a solid line people are bullied into using the yellow lane.

Yes sure. But those cyclists who refuse to move over under any circumstances "because it's illegal to cross the yellow line" are just being silly.

I have never felt bullied to move over by a car. I simply keep my ears open, when I hear a car approaching I move across if it is safe to do so, the car passes comfortably by, without having to cross into the oncoming lane, and everyone continues on their merry way.

I don't see what is so complicated about the whole topic.

Perhaps the drivers in the midlands area are different to those in the big cities? I dunno.

And this is the exact wording from the act.

Reg 298A.(1) Subject to subregulation (2) and regulation 298(1)(e), no person shall drive a motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road.

(2) Notwithstanding subregulation (1), the driver of a motor vehicle may, during the period between sunrise and sunset, drive such motor vehicle on the shoulder of a public road which is designated for one lane of traffic in each direction—

(a) while such motor vehicle is being overtaken by another vehicle; and

b) if he or she can do so without endangering himself or herself, other traffic, pedestrians or property on such public road;

© if persons and vehicles upon a public road are clearly discernible at a distance of at least 150 metres.

Spot on and this is where many get it wrong.  You are not obliged in anyway to move over.  Yet I remember often with all my travels that although I tend to move over when driving with my car, there were many instances when I didn't (for as stated I did not consider it safe at that point to move over) and the car behind me started flashing lights and expecting my to move over so he can pass me.  And it is that same attitude that gets applied to cyclists and that is where the problem lies.

Yes sure. But those cyclists who refuse to move over under any circumstances "because it's illegal to cross the yellow line" are just being silly.

I have never felt bullied to move over by a car. I simply keep my ears open, when I hear a car approaching I move across if it is safe to do so, the car passes comfortably by, without having to cross into the oncoming lane, and everyone continues on their merry way.

Perhaps the drivers in the midlands area are different to those in the big cities? I dunno.

Agree, but I have had so many instances where I was expected to bugger with my bicycle into the yellow lane by our friendly motorists but they do not pay attention to the potholes, glass, debris that you need to deal with there.

Sorry was referring to motor vehicles. 

But yes I agree, and its not just cyclists. Lately I see how people just step out( which is in contravention of the law) in front to vehicles so that they can cross the road, and they do this at their own pace as well.

I always wonder to myself why??? a car weighs so much more than a person - they must think they are tanks

Archived