CT routes for beginner cyclist

Dullscalpel

Wow guys! Thanks so much for all the information. I truly appreciate it. I would love to cycle with people but I don't know anyone who cycles, but I will definitely look into the group. I like the idea of newbs learning from seasoned pros (that's why I joined the forum!).

Will spend a lot of time looking for pros [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will spend a lot of time looking for pros [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it wont take long to find many on the road who believe they are and have stories to match... :ph34r:

In my opinion the Atlantic Seaboard has some of the best riding on offer in the Cape. Great views, good coffee, safe-ish roads, HOTTTT women on the pavements. You will need to get a bit stronger for the climbs like Chappies and Suikerbossie but the effort is well worth it IMO.

For a flattish ride. (Don't quote me on the numbers.)

Option 1. (When the SE is blowing)

Park in Camps bay. Ride up Victoria to the top of Suikerbossie. Yes it's uphill but it's very tame. Turn around at the top and roll downhill into Camps. If you're feeling strong you can carry on to Sea Point and back. Plus there's a Bootleggers in Camps where you can grab a coffee and perv at all the hot bikes.

Distance 24-35km

Vert. 150-200m

Option 2. (Windless option)

Park in Noordhoek at Cafe Roux. Ride towards fishhoek. Take Kommetjie road into fishhoek (or go over blackhill if you have your climbing legs fitted) take the right at the circle. head towards Simons Town. Grab a coffee in Simons Town. head to Cape Point. There's a bit of a climb up to Cape Point but it's not that bad and the reward is it's downhill almost all of the way into Scarborough. Head past Ocean View and Massi. Back to Noordhoek. Doing this in even a mild South Easter is tough so watch the wind. And a mild breeze in Newlands can mean 60km+ winds down South.

Distance +-55km

Vert. About 500m

*Disclaimer. I'm a Newby roadie myself. And a slow one at that.

There is a nice group of beginners riding all over Cape Town early in the mornings - I think they call them selves Team Pure Savage or something like that ...........  :devil:

On a non popcorn note, I agree with the ride from Camps bay to top of Suikerbossie for a start as the climb up to the top is not that bad, just watch out for cross winds on very windy days.

In my opinion the Atlantic Seaboard has some of the best riding on offer in the Cape. Great views, good coffee, safe-ish roads, HOTTTT women on the pavements. You will need to get a bit stronger for the climbs like Chappies and Suikerbossie but the effort is well worth it IMO.

Park in Camps bay. Ride up Victoria to the top of Suikerbossie. Yes it's uphill but it's very tame. Turn around at the top and roll downhill into Camps. If you're feeling strong you can carry on to Sea Point and back. Plus there's a Bootleggers in Camps where you can grab a coffee and perv at all the hot bikes.

Distance 24-35km

Vert. 150-200m

Park in Noordhoek at Cafe Roux. Ride towards fishhoek. Take Kommetjie road into fishhoek (or go over blackhill if you have your climbing legs fitted) take the right at the circle. head towards Simons Town. Grab a coffee in Simons Town. head to Cape Point. There's a bit of a climb up to Cape Point but it's not that bad and the reward is it's downhill almost all of the way into Scarborough. Head past Ocean View and Massi. Back to Noordhoek. Doing this in even a mild South Easter is tough so watch the wind. And a mild breeze in Newlands can mean 60km+ winds down South.

Distance +-55km

Vert. About 500m

Thanks for these routes. I really like the idea of option 2, but I don't think I can ride that far (yet). I may take a section and give it a try

There is a nice group of beginners riding all over Cape Town early in the mornings - I think they call them selves Team Pure Savage or something like that ...........  :devil:

On a non popcorn note, I agree with the ride from Camps bay to top of Suikerbossie for a start as the climb up to the top is not that bad, just watch out for cross winds on very windy days.

Where can I find this 'savage' :whistling:  group?

Where can I find this 'savage' :whistling:  group?

Does nobody read our blog anymore :P

5;45 Tuesday/Thursday Shell-Chappies-Shell.  :D

Coffee at Strolla

Distance 24-35km

Vert. 150-200m

Distance +-55km

Vert. About 500m

I have highlighted the only problem with this, driving there? 

Start at home and ride ;) 

Does nobody read our blog anymore :P

5;45 Tuesday/Thursday Shell-Chappies-Shell.   :D

Coffee at Strolla

I am new, so how am I supposed to know about your blog :P

Will find your blog and I may join you guys

I am new, so how am I supposed to know about your blog :P

Will find your blog and I may join you guys

Its in our signature. :D

The average is around 30km/h but come have a chat, plenty okes on the morning rides that can help point you in the right direction and know of other cycling groups in CT.

I have highlighted the only problem with this, driving there? 

Start at home and ride ;)

Haha. True. But having said that I live in HB so some of the best road riding IN THE WORLD (Clarkson voice) is right out the door.

Hey guys! So, I decided to try riding around my area. Such regrets! I didn't realise how steep the hills were :/ I managed a 15 minute cycle, but I definitely need to work on my hill climbs!! Now for a n00b question: when I change gear before going up a hill, must the chain be on the big or small ring at the front for the ascent ?

Archived