USN MTB cup 1 - Avianto

Fr33rider

Here's the profile of last year's "30km" route.  My Bike Comp indicated that total elevation gain was 444m.  Definitely the toughest USN event and a lung and leg buster...

I'll be there for the "30km" again  

post-73897-0-59419400-1484727239_thumb.jpg

Edited by agilwolf

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That son of a gun hill around the 12km mark, next to the concrete pallisade fence, and the up/down rocky and fkn hardpack rampage at the end is what really gave me the gears last year! Enjoy the ride/race, and come back in one piece :)

Anyone know if there will be entries on Saturday? Thought the closing date was today but saw it was yesterday.

Entered for the 50km but now nursing an injury so will see on the day if up for 50 or fall back to 30km

Its the climbs that get you... if you can handle the climbs you will be ok. Also there was some really sticky black mud last year. The route is really not very technical but you need to watch the rocks and the mud...

Bummed I'm missing this one, had a cracker ride last year, till I took the wrong turn (red mist blurred vision)

The black sticky mud is on the Phambili side, not my favorite section. Short steep climbs, loose rocky surface. Check tire pressures, running too soft wil have you out with impact punctures. Too hard, and you may have traction issues (messing around with that extra 12watts from a well lubed chain)

Enjoy, always fun riding in that area.

Bummed I'm missing this one, had a cracker ride last year, till I took the wrong turn (red mist blurred vision)

The black sticky mud is on the Phambili side, not my favorite section. Short steep climbs, loose rocky surface. Check tire pressures, running too soft wil have you out with impact punctures. Too hard, and you may have traction issues (messing around with that extra 12watts from a well lubed chain)

Enjoy, always fun riding in that area.

Phambili I know pretty well, hopefully the last dry week will make it ok as long as we stay out of that vlei below the dam, where do they make up the rest of the 50km distance? Do you have a route from last year?

How does this compare to Buffelsdrift 50km?

I did the 50km USN Avianto last year, in my opinion the Buffelsdrift 50km route is slightly tougher, interesting my time for USN and the Buffels 50km is similar....

As mentioned on other posts the black mud was challenging...

Phambili I know pretty well, hopefully the last dry week will make it ok as long as we stay out of that vlei below the dam, where do they make up the rest of the 50km distance? Do you have a route from last year?

The distance is made up by venturing onto neighboring properties around the area, some dirt roads, some sections through veld etc.

I sadly do not have the route.

Also bummed to miss out this year. My route from last years race was 45km with 617m accent. With most of it coming from 30km onwards.

The distance is made up by venturing onto neighboring properties around the area, some dirt roads, some sections through veld etc.

I sadly do not have the route.

Thanks RocknRolla, does anybody else have a copy of last years 50km?