The wash your MTB and save water challenge

Mamil

I see your point but here in Joburg it's different. Lots of rain in summer which suits the swimming season, little rain in winter but pool not really in use and if you put a pool blanket or it reduces the evaporation. You will also be surprised how quickly the jojo fills even in a small drizzle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a smallish garden and I would need about 20 000 litres a month to keep the garden in top shape and maybe half that to just get by. So that is 4 to 8 JoJo tanks per month x 4 months of summer = 16 to 32 JoJo tanks. :eek:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry a bit off topic here -

so my question on the JoJo tanks is this. In Cape Town it rains in winter so tank gets filled up and doesn't get used. In summer when there is no rain, and you use the water from the tank 2500 litres is not going to last very long?

The solution is more tanks or a bigger tank just make sure that you have enough surface area/roof for tank count or size.

I have a smallish garden and I would need about 20 000 litres a month to keep the garden in top shape and maybe half that to just get by. So that is 4 to 8 JoJo tanks per month x 4 months of summer = 16 to 32 JoJo tanks. :eek:

That is a lot of water for a small garden. You will have to prioritize. Watering of garden is low on the priority list. Think about not having water at all, then you will not care about the garden.

I believe gardening, at least the kind that requires water, should be outlawed. It is the biggest waste of water I have seen in my life. 

If you really feel the need to mess about with plants in the ground then get the types of plants that are most suited for our dry summer conditions. 

Waiting for the first rains ...  :eek:

There is less than 100 days of water left in the WC. The winter rain will not be enough to fill up the dams to last through the next summer, in fact there is a chance that water will run out during the winter of 2017, I advise to be prepared its going to be water zombie apocalypse.

That is a lot of water for a small garden. You will have to prioritize. Watering of garden is low on the priority list. Think about not having water at all, then you will not care about the garden.

I'm not using that amount of water or anything near it at the moment. Just sayng that is what I would need from a jojo.

My garden is dying/dead.

My total water consumption is between 18000 L to 21 000 L per month, you telling me you use that only to water the garden? :eek: . No wonder the cape has no water............

I'm not using that amount of water or anything near it at the moment. Just sayng that is what I would need from a jojo.

My garden is dying/dead.

Sorry to hear that. You will have to replace with plants that don`t need much water. Desert backyards is the new in thing.

My total water consumption is between 18000 L to 21 000 L per month, you telling me you use that only to water the garden? :eek: . No wonder the cape has no water............

18 - 21k L as total is also a big boat load of water.

read my reply above again.

Just curious about what other water saving measure people take? I know it's slightly off topic but this is what we do :

1) Wait until the dishwasher is full and then use the longer eco-wash.

2) In the evenings my wife and toddler baths first then it's my turn.

3) No garden

4) No bike or car washes

5) In the rare case of showering we have water saving shower heads. 

Sorry to hear that. You will have to replace with plants that don`t need much water. Desert backyards is the new in thing.

this is the look I'm going for

http://dreamatico.com/data_images/desert/desert-3.jpg

Just curious about what other water saving measure people take? I know it's slightly off topic but this is what we do :

3) No garden

4) No bike or car washes

timed my shower the other day - 1min 30 sec. And I switch off water while applying soap/shampoo

3) No garden

4) No bike or car washes

You forgot to do the rain dance. This is the cause of the drought. Please add rain dance to the list and then make a rain dance video to show us how its done.

Archived