The wash your MTB and save water challenge

Mamil

I wash my MTB after every ride and in light of recent water restrictions and the looming water crisis in the Cape, I set myself the challenge of using only as much water as I drank on the ride to wash my bike.

So if I drank one Camelbak on my ride then 2 liters is what I can use to clean the bike no matter how dirty it is.

#feelingvirtuous

So I challenge other hubbers to do the same.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I don't like a dirty bike and the fact that we got water restriction I haven't cycled for 6 months . I win .

... and all that water you would have drunk is safe in the dams. :)

Because I don't like a dirty bike and the fact that we got water restriction I haven't cycled for 6 months . I win .

I don't wash my bike unless I've ridden through mud and it's gotten in the drivetrain. Just brush it off and clean the chain / cassette / RD pulleys every few rides. 

Winning. 

Bike only gets washed with bottled water, preferably Evian Sparkling, because I care about the environment and water restrictions. 

Those plastic bottles are an environmental catastrophe Patch --- minus 10 points I'm afraid.

Bike only gets washed with bottled water, preferably Evian Sparkling, because I care about the environment and water restrictions. 

Washing your bike after every ride is completely unnecessary.

Even if its just a cup of water. Its like taking a shower every time you pee. 

Just keep your drive train clean. A steel brush and a little paraffin.

Rinse with a little water if you have to. You wont need two litres.

Dry with a lappie and re-lube the chain. 

I don't wash my bike unless I've ridden through mud and it's gotten in the drivetrain. Just brush it off and clean the chain / cassette / RD pulleys every few rides. 

Winning. 

Same here, don't know if I'm lazy or saving water

Those plastic bottles are an environmental catastrophe Patch --- minus 10 points I'm afraid.

HA I knew somebody was going fall for that hogwash!! Sucker!

They are not, its an Obama conspiracy!

I was more concerned about the water I waste on washing my kit after every ride. So now I pull the hose out from the wall that drains water from the machine. Still using eco wash I let the water drain into a bucket which then becomes flushing water or plant water! 

Bikes get washed in the bath using less than a bucket of water. 

Still, nothing uses water like a human! We are headed for hard times! 

I wash my MTB after every ride and in light of recent water restrictions and the looming water crisis in the Cape, I set myself the challenge of using only as much water as I drank on the ride to wash my bike.

So if I drank one Camelbak on my ride then 2 liters is what I can use to clean the bike no matter how dirty it is.

#feelingvirtuous

So I challenge other hubbers to do the same.

do you use the same theory for lubing your bike and lu never mind  :offtopic: 

Have not wash my bike since 2016. I clean the stanchions with a wet wipe and Brunox then use the same wetwipe to clean the chain before lubing with Squirt. Bike rides smooth and wear is minimal. Don't care about it looking like 'n poefie. 

It takes a bottle and a half too wash a bike. so slightly more than a liter. That includes drivetrain et al. 

Using a pesticide spray bottle and a chamois it takes 4liters of water to wash my bakkie. 

We really dont need hosepipes. It only adds convenience. But it wastes a lot.

Washing your bike after every ride is completely unnecessary.

Even if its just a cup of water. Its like taking a shower every time you pee. 

Just keep your drive train clean. A steel brush and a little paraffin.

Rinse with a little water if you have to. You wont need two litres.

Dry with a lappie and re-lube the chain. 

And shock stantions.

Archived