2017 gut and distance

my simple philosophy is you have to burn off more than you eat. So eat less than you burn and you've got the first step right. Then understand how your body works and make any additional dietary changes.

I simply can't see how so much bread is good for you.

I'm one of those people that can eat almost anything and I hardly put on weight. But I know that my metabolism if good

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing i have learnt about the various eating plans...as soon as you start an eating plan...the food budget increases...bread is a cheap fuel....when times are tough...nothing beats jam sarmies.

my whole school life every kid at school ate bread for lunch...we got home and made thick peanut and jam sarmies...still to this day kids have sarmies for lunch...now suddenly it so bad for us ???

if bread is so bad for us why do the guys riding 800 km... pack sarmies and eat bread  to fuel the ride rather than gels...sugar and rump steak?

lets see what happens...i am gona stick to it for another week and a bit...weigh in is on wednesday next week...it is good that there are different eating habits....so we can compare.

my son is "26" and he eats me under the table yet looks like chris froome....back to age again.

next week this time ...the games will begin again...yeah i know i should do it right now etc etc...i need to finish what i started...so i will continue eating the bread until next week.

when it comes to dieting i read there is an 80 % fail rate within the first 7 days...i wonder how many people who started at the beginning of this year have already dropped off ?

preparation is more important...make sure i understand my goal and everything is in place to make it happen.

food prep...

kit out and ready for a morning work out...

equipment in good working order...

etc

what am i going to eat...hopefully a lot less bread...will start putting an eating plan in place in the next week...one thing i can say about eating all this bread...i dont crave junk...if I  feel l need to eat i have a sarmie or a bread roll...gona miss the hard crispy rolls.

what type of exercise...I need to include upper body this time and stretching...less focus on cycling and speed...more about endurance and longer distance this year.

one very important factor...if not THE most important one...when will it happen...we all have the same excuse..."i just dont have the time" well for me i start my day at 5.30am ...wake up my daughter prepare her breakfast and lunch for school...so i need to get up at 4 am...after work there is always an excuse...so if i get a walk or ride in in the afternoon it will just be a bonus.

how much weight...a figue is not important...this year is about getting rid of the fat hanging around my waist....i want to be able to go down on the drops without hitting my legs on my fat gut...and hopefully beat myles to the 100 kg mark ;)

one thing i have learnt about the various eating plans...as soon as you start an eating plan...the food budget increases...bread is a cheap fuel....when times are tough...nothing beats jam sarmies.

my whole school life every kid at school ate bread for lunch...we got home and made thick peanut and jam sarmies...still to this day kids have sarmies for lunch...now suddenly it so bad for us ???

if bread is so bad for us why do the guys riding 800 km... pack sarmies and eat bread  to fuel the ride rather than gels...sugar and rump steak?

lets see what happens...i am gona stick to it for another week and a bit...weigh in is on wednesday next week...it is good that there are different eating habits....so we can compare.

my son is "26" and he eats me under the table yet looks like chris froome....back to age again.

I hear you with the diet cost - it sucks!

Re 800 km riding - I always thought it was because of the benefit of a source of low GI carbs, for distance riding, rather than an insulin spike?

Anywho, it'll be an interesting experiment if all aspects of diet and exercise (ie a calorie balance) are tracked.

Having a look at the loaf of bread in my kitchen: 700 g loaf of brown bread, total energy content 1500 kcal, protein 56 g. Isn't it horses-for-courses? Whichever side of the 'bread line', you stand, it's either a convenient source of slow-burn energy, or a Trojan horse within which other energy rich foods are carried?

(If I'm interpreting Google correctly, the equivalent mass of cauliflower for 1500 kcal is around 6 kg. Thought provoking....)  

Bread is not necessarily bad for you, it’s all the added **** they put into the bread that’s damaging e.g. have you ever noticed how long bread stays fresh nowadays? Or bread rolls for that matter?  Do yourself a favour and bake yourself a fresh loaf of bread and see how long its shelf life is. Two days max then you need to start toasting it. Nothing better than freshly baked homemade bread with jam & cheese… njom njom :thumbup:

we do have an obesity and diabetes epidemic in SA (and pretty much worldwide)though. Related? Bad eating habits carried through to adulthood. Just a thought.

I think often with these we don't quite train to the potential we should, think about your last 10 training sessions, could you have pushed harder, gone heavier with weights, bumped out a few more reps, ground out an extra 5 watts, in the end no matter how hard you think you are pushing, somewhere out there someone is pushing harder, and they will be getting the results be it weight goals or racing...

Nice thread to follow.

I started using the MyFitnessPal app about 10 days ago to track my diet. Even though I still have stuff like milk tart, etc I found that it keeps me very conscious of my diet choices.

It gives me a target kj intake for each day, and I track everything I put in my mouth. Without much exercise (less than 40km on the bike over a few sessions), I was able to drop almost 2kg's in this time. My current weight is lower than when I was doing Crossfit 3 times a week for a 12 month period (which had little effect on nett weight as my diet choices were bad at the time).

Give the app a try, it works for me, and I know of a few others who also had good success with it. If nothing else, I have learnt alot in the past 10 days about diet choices.

Nice thread to follow.

I started using the MyFitnessPal app about 10 days ago to track my diet. Even though I still have stuff like milk tart, etc I found that it keeps me very conscious of my diet choices.

It gives me a target kj intake for each day, and I track everything I put in my mouth. Without much exercise (less than 40km on the bike over a few sessions), I was able to drop almost 2kg's in this time. My current weight is lower than when I was doing Crossfit 3 times a week for a 12 month period (which had little effect on nett weight as my diet choices were bad at the time).

Give the app a try, it works for me, and I know of a few others who also had good success with it. If nothing else, I have learnt alot in the past 10 days about diet choices.

The app is good if you just starting out, but once you know the portion size and nutrional values of what you eat, you can dump it. Oh and dump the milk tart too :whistling:

wow if only all the pro teams came here and found out they could power themselves

on cheap sh!t instead a healthy diet think of the financial savings they could make ...quick someone go tell Sagan  ;) 

wow if only all the pro teams came here and found out they could power themselves

on cheap **** instead a healthy diet think of the financial savings they could make ...quick someone go tell Sagan  ;) 

Somebody already told him...... :whistling:

post-77414-0-73584100-1485337020.jpg

on cheap **** instead a healthy diet think of the financial savings they could make ...quick someone go tell Sagan  ;) 

****EDIT****

take your pills before going onto the bike hub and play nicely with the the kids.

wow not only a fat gut but a fat inferiority complex

I don't have to play nice with the likes of you if that's your reaction to a gentle joke

its called comic sans dick

wow not only a fat gut but a fat inferiority complex

I don't have to play nice with the likes of you if that's your reaction to a gentle joke

its called comic sans ****

????????????

Done...the ignore setting works like a charm :)

in some cases a persons opinion carries a bit of weight...especially if they they are a positive contribution to a forum...some are better off ignored.

it is a simple...

go to my settings..

"ignore" preferences...

type the name and bingo...gone

you never have waste the energy reading their comments.

Calm down big boy

Archived