2017 gut and distance

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stayed home yesterday with a tummy bug. Wife woke me up when she got home with a beer in hand!! It worked wonders.

does your wife have a sister?

the part i don't agree with is going slow and not working on speed...

I'm not a doctor, but i've tried to understand the little bit of this stuff with my nerd brain...  the math is easy.  If you are only putting out 150 W and you cycle for an hour, it means you've burnt 540 kJ translating to 130 kCal or equivalent to 1 can of coke.  Your body is however only about 25% efficient in terms of converting energy to work (the rest goes to letting your heart pump blood through your veins, heating you up etc.), so in essence you've burnt around 515 kCal which is the equivalent of 57 grams of fat.  The challenge is also that you drink some energy drink during your hour ride, and for the most part your body does not use fat as its primary resource to replenish burn energy, hence your fat burn rate is less than 57 grams, probably only about 20 grams or so per day depending on your diet and what your body has available to replenish your glycogen stores.

by this math, you need to put in some serious hours to get to a meaningful reduction in body fat.

If you however get yourself to a point where you can do say 250 W for an hour, the math changes considerably in the favour of fat burn.  You then burn the equivalent of 90+ grams of fat during your hour ride and you probably still only drink the same bit of energy drink during that time because its the same length ride.  If you control your diet afterwards, there is roughly 860 kCal worth of glycogen that your body needs to replace, so by the correct eating, you now sit with a situation where you can probably burn fat at a rate of 50 or 60 grams per day...

So the trick is to get fast, once you're fast, fat burn becomes much easier.

the part i don't agree with is going slow and not working on speed...

I'm not a doctor, but i've tried to understand the little bit of this stuff with my nerd brain...  the math is easy.  If you are only putting out 150 W and you cycle for an hour, it means you've burnt 540 kJ translating to 130 kCal or equivalent to 1 can of coke.  Your body is however only about 25% efficient in terms of converting energy to work (the rest goes to letting your heart pump blood through your veins, heating you up etc.), so in essence you've burnt around 515 kCal which is the equivalent of 57 grams of fat.  The challenge is also that you drink some energy drink during your hour ride, and for the most part your body does not use fat as its primary resource to replenish burn energy, hence your fat burn rate is less than 57 grams, probably only about 20 grams or so per day depending on your diet and what your body has available to replenish your glycogen stores.

by this math, you need to put in some serious hours to get to a meaningful reduction in body fat.

If you however get yourself to a point where you can do say 250 W for an hour, the math changes considerably in the favour of fat burn.  You then burn the equivalent of 90+ grams of fat during your hour ride and you probably still only drink the same bit of energy drink during that time because its the same length ride.  If you control your diet afterwards, there is roughly 860 kCal worth of glycogen that your body needs to replace, so by the correct eating, you now sit with a situation where you can probably burn fat at a rate of 50 or 60 grams per day...

So the trick is to get fast, once you're fast, fat burn becomes much easier.

Not quite correct, rate of fat burning varies per individual and if rate of effort is high then CHO is the preferred fuel source irrespective of diet.

Not quite correct, rate of fat burning varies per individual and if rate of effort is high then CHO is the preferred fuel source irrespective of diet.

My understanding too... go hard, it uses readily available energy stores, when you run out though... you pretty much bonk. Go slower and long, your body will convert fat into energy, supplying a constant slow supply - and as such burning fat. 

My understanding too... go hard, it uses readily available energy stores, when you run out though... you pretty much bonk. Go slower and long, your body will convert fat into energy, supplying a constant slow supply - and as such burning fat. 

And muscle. 

Lifting & adequate protein intake is pretty much the only way to preserve lean muscle tissue and prioritise the burning of fat over muscle. 

Running & cycling will obv preserve lean muscle in teh legs, but for upper body muscle preservation you need to do some sort of resistance training in order to preserve the muscle fibres. 

Moderate exercise burns the most fat per time unit, that is one hour at moderate will be preferable over one hour of easy because the total energy required is higher.

post-32242-0-61016800-1485417316_thumb.png

as i mentioned...i always finish what i start...so for now .......

What's the point of finishing what you start if you can't maintain?

Somehow things don't add up here.  (Damn - read the whole fred - some seriously good advice but what's the point)

You have a lot of research to check up on.

Good luck - remember to enjoy your riding !

thought i would do a weigh in today being friday.

103.9 kg...with 4 days of to go.

So is the apparent weight loss mirrored by a daily calorie deficit?

Isetech, gotta be honest, it's pretty hard to help you along on this journey as you seem hell bent on going against the grain on most modern thinking (excuse the pun) and pretty much ignore all given advice in any case.

He does not need our help... he is just attention seeking... the majority of the posts he starts are exactly the same!!

You tell him one thing, he will do the exact opposite... hoping to get a reaction to keep the attention.

As we say on this forum... don't feed the trolls, or in this case a subtle troll who tells everyone he eats a bakery every day and is good for him!! 

He does not need our help... he is just attention seeking... the majority of the posts he starts are exactly the same!!

You tell him one thing, he will do the exact opposite... hoping to get a reaction to keep the attention.

As we say on this forum... don't feed the trolls, or in this case a subtle troll who tells everyone he eats a bakery every day and is good for him!! 

Welcome to Friday..... :ph34r:

We have a birthday in the office..and I see cupcakes and cheesecake and and and..

And you know these lot if I don't eat they will be offended and take it very personal.

[emoji53]

Archived