Shimano 11 Speed Front Deraileur Setup - NIGHTMARE!!!

CTJ

Hope there is some hubbers that can assist with this issue of setting up a Shimano 11 Speed Front derailleur.

I recently bought a brand new 11 speed 105 groupset (Excluding crankset, as I have a BB30 Carbon FSA crank)

The issue is that I can simply can't get the FD setup properly.

When FD is setup so that the chain does not rub against the FD while in big chainring and 2nd sprocket from the top, the chain will rub against the FD when I'm in the smallest sprocket, and vice-versa. I have setup the trim settings properly, but this still doesn't help.

I built the same groupset onto my brothers bike (Italian import), no issues whatsoever and works like a charm. Only difference is that he has a braze on fitting as part of the frame, as opposed to my FD with normal bracket around seat tube. He also uses the 105 crankset as opposed to my FSA.

I built the groupset onto my Cannondale Supersix. Added in-line barrel adjuster for fine tuning. Setup exactly as per Shimano instructions -  No luck.

I have taken this to 2 bike shops - no luck either. As always works fine on a bike stand, but when you actually ride it and the horizontal forces come into play it is a different story.

From what I've managed to research there is no difference between FSA 10 speed / 11 speed cranksets.

Any additional insight would be welcomed.

Edited by CTJ

Possibly there is a problem with the Bottom Bracket. If you pull on the cranks side to side, can you feel any lateral movement? There should be none.

Possibly there is a problem with the Bottom Bracket. If you pull on the cranks side to side, can you feel any lateral movement? There should be none.

I have checked this - no play on the BB. Bearings also recently replaced.

FSA/Shimano crank should make no difference. check how the waver washer and BB30 Bearing dust covers (should be one on each side) are installed. the Waver washer should be on non driveside of crank. 

if not installed correctly could maybe push out the crank a bit, just enough to make it touch. 

Also maybe try playing with the angle/height of the FD that worked for me with Campy.

The design on the Shimano 11spd front derailleurs is Cr@p. the new 9100 seems to have fixed this.

What I can suggest:

• Use new inner(Don't use the fancy ones with the plastic coating. try get a black Teflon cable) and outer(XTR as this is internally greased) cables.
  • Minimize sharp bends in the outer cable and no kinks in the inner, make sure if they are internal the front is not crossed with the rear inner.
  • Make sure all outer end caps bottom out when placed over the outer cable and it is firmly in the STI.
  • An inline barrel adjuster in mandatory, get a high quality one that has resistance in both directions to avoid unwanted slipping, positioning is also key avoid areas where the outer is prone to movement.
  • Height and angle of the derailleur are very important depending on frame chain line.
  • Make 100% sure the cable it routed through the derailleur pinch bolt the correct way.
  • Make sure there is not to much or to little slack on the inner cable when the derailleur is bottomed out on the lower limit.
  • Make sure the limit screws are not to "involved" they should not be used as a stop rather as a safety net.

Lastly if set up correctly your front STI should have a trim/half shift function which allows you to avoid this issue.

What happens to the FD when you do a half shift from small to big ring? I've found on my defy, depending on FD cable tension, nothing happens. A tighter cable means a tiny shift outboard meaning no chain rub when in small-small

I also have 105's and did battle with the same issue. You need to setup the trim correctly on the front derailleur and it will solve your issue. ( Half shift)

Edited by UltraRunner_ZA

FSA/Shimano crank should make no difference. check how the waver washer and BB30 Bearing dust covers (should be one on each side) are installed. the Waver washer should be on non driveside of crank. 

if not installed correctly could maybe push out the crank a bit, just enough to make it touch. 

Also maybe try playing with the angle/height of the FD that worked for me with Campy.

Thanks - Already did all of the above, still not solving my problem.

I also have 105's and did battle with the same issue. You need to setup the trim correctly on the front derailleur and it will solve your issue. ( Half shift)

The trim is setup correctly (Or as best as anyone has managed so far)

This was covered in a couple of previous threads.  Maybe some additional info?

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/162557-tuning-shimano-11-speed-fd/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160785-converting-tcr-to-11-speed/

I have not fitted a clamp on 11 speed so I am not sure how or where the bolt to control horizontal rotation is adjusted.  There are instructions on the Shimano dealers site.

• 2 weeks later...

Or switch to the new Dura Ace front derailleur. Apparently it solves some problems.

I'm considering doing going exactly that.

Is this the Dura-ACE 9100 FD you're referring to? Seems like my last option as nothing has worked so far.

Thanks!