[Event] Western Cape XCO Series 2017 XCO#1 Slanghoek

Morne Veer

What a great track! And stunning venue!!!

Congrats to all racing.

I hope this track will be used more often

Great track, but attendance was poor. Maybe use this track in April once the first rains have settled the dust.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the first lap, into the first singletrack I had to guess where I was going. Cloud of dust. Was insane. . Haven't suffered that much in a loong time. . My legs are hatin me today.

For you to say that, it must have been hectic. Well done, though. 

There was a guy, I think it was the coach of the Mr. Race team, with ginger hair and beard, that behaved in a very unsportsmanlike way, and in general like a chop.  He swears at the kids that he trains on the track, and is generally considered by me to not be a good role model for the kids that he trains.

Who of you here knows him?

Think any coach/parent that acts like that needs one warning, then a ban the second time.

Seen enough crap like that at other school's sport events. 

BTW, there seemed to be carnage amongst the vets and sub vets. Almost every rider had dust marks on them from crashes. In the Juniors race, 2 guys had hard crashes. One rider's handlebars when 180, but couldn't return back because the brake levers were in the way, touching on the top tube. How did that happen?

It was at the long, downhill right hander before the first feed zone. That corner was tricky and a few riders went down there. Pretty hard crash, top tube had some solid engraving from the brake lever. We had to get an allen Key to turn the bars back the right way. Kid was pretty chilled though, waited patiently for the fix and then went on again.

Hi guys and gals

A big thanks to those who came out to take part, and those who came to support.

I took part in the Vets category, which had the biggest field yet - also the sub vets had a record number of entries. Great to see the old toppies getting their mojo back and racing faces on. For myself it was pain from the word go - xco def not my strong point, but I do love the thrill which comes with lap racing and pushing yourself above what you normally do, or think you can do.

Even in young categories there was lots of good racing taking place, and all round, throughout the whole day, it was clear that everyone had a jol.

The calendar for cycling events these days are VERY full, and it has become the norm that one have two to three cycling events on the same weekend.  I am sure the numbers will increase even further at the other events, if they are not going to clash with other events.

There was some spills, and I also went down hard in one of the berms - due to the excessive heat of late, and lack of proper rain, the course was VERY dusty - that said, most riders, after a few minutes of rest and recovery, managed to pull out a smile and thumbs up for the track, which by most accounts was a true test (short and steep, times a lot, was the name of the game).

Next race is at the end of Feb at Rhebokskloof, and I'll post all the info, etc in the racing calendar later in this week. 

On the first lap, into the first singletrack I had to guess where I was going. Cloud of dust. Was insane. . Haven't suffered that much in a loong time. . My legs are hatin me today.

imagine how i felt as the first time i rode it was the 1st lap of the race.

Great track, but attendance was poor. Maybe use this track in April once the first rains have settled the dust.

poor in terms of riders or spectators? I started racing XCO in 2014, skipped 2015 & 2016 seasons & Saturday was the biggest crowd I've ever seen & it wasn't even the SA Champs. Sub Vets alone had a record 20 entrants, unheard of.

I must say I was surprised at how many ou toppies were racing. Numbers for the Nipper and Sprog Girls were disappointing, not even filling the podium with all the entrants. Also, Sub Junior Boys were half of what it was last year.

Venue was excellent, with so much shade to go and chill after the race, and before.

Edited by Moridin

Good to see how this format of racing is growing and great that we had 20 sub-vets on Saturday. We need more though!

I hope with World Cup coming to Cape Town in 2018 it will inspire more guys and girls to try XC.

The course on Saturday was INCREDIBLE! I have a new favorite track. I really hope the series goes back to Slanghoek soon!

I chucked it down the road big time, but it was totally my own fault. From leading to lying in the bushes in 5 seconds flat. So a DNF for me for round 1. I will be back in three weeks time!

Good to see how this format of racing is growing and great that we had 20 sub-vets on Saturday. We need more though!

I hope with World Cup coming to Cape Town in 2018 it will inspire more guys and girls to try XC.

The course on Saturday was INCREDIBLE! I have a new favorite track. I really hope the series goes back to Slanghoek soon!

I chucked it down the road big time, but it was totally my own fault. From leading to lying in the bushes in 5 seconds flat. So a DNF for me for round 1. I will be back in three weeks time!

Hey Donovan, again unlucky boet, the race was yours to win, next time bud. I know its going to be fierce in the SV's category next round as its a SA Cup round as well as provincial so we will have a few very strong out of towners as well as the same folk that was there Saturday past. I know for certain Saturday's winner Niel, Darryn Stow, You & myself will be there again. look forward to it as i should be in better shape as well.

I would love to tackle the Masters, but I fear I will be more in the way on the ST than anything else. I do love the format though. Have the done the XCO loop at Helderberg a few times though, but I am always on my max at the top of the Bikini Beach climb that I have to take a few moments for my heart rate to come down.

Sorry to hear man - I saw you went down big time !! 

Thanks for positive comments.

Regards

Morné

Hey Donovan, again unlucky boet, the race was yours to win, next time bud. I know its going to be fierce in the SV's category next round as its a SA Cup round as well as provincial so we will have a few very strong out of towners as well as the same folk that was there Saturday past. I know for certain Saturday's winner Niel, Darryn Stow, You & myself will be there again. look forward to it as i should be in better shape as well.

Counting down the days aleady. WC boys will represent!

I must say I was surprised at how many ou toppies were racing. Numbers for the Nipper and Sprog Girls were disappointing, not even filling the podium with all the entrants. Also, Sub Junior Boys were half of what it was last year.

Venue was excellent, with so much shade to go and chill after the race, and before.

I agree, the numbers in the very young categories was low. Unfortunately we are right in the middle of athletics season, and critically, inter-schools. We had a number of parents indicating this as their reason for not being able to join. 

Also, the event was further away to what most parents are used to - with very young having to start at 8, and reg closing at 7h30, some parents were not prepared to get up early on the morning to bring their kids through.

Lastly, some parents still believe xco bike racing is too dangerous for their children, which most of us will strongly disagree with. Even those kids who went down in a pile of dust on Saturday, go up, dusted themselves off, and just got on with riding their bikes.  

We are continuously looking for ways to address the stigmas of the sport and seeing how we can get more youngsters to join - we have made big strides up to now, but there is MASSIVE potential still.