silly wetsuit question

Dullscalpel

This may seem like a dumb question, especially for the season pros! When doing a triathlon and the water temp is low and you are required to wear a wetsuit, does it matter if the wetsuit is sleeveless? Or does it mean you need to wear a wetsuit with sleeves?

Thanks in advance

Wet suits are prohibited with temperatures over 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius).

Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between above 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots.
Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/haugesund/athletes/swimwear-wetsuit-policy.aspx#ixzz4XEAkkkr2

Wet suits are prohibited with temperatures over 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius).

Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between above 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Celsius) will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots.
Full wetsuits are permitted (arms and legs covered).

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/haugesund/athletes/swimwear-wetsuit-policy.aspx#ixzz4XEAkkkr2

So I assume that by them saying that full wetsuits are allowed, this means that sleeveless wetsuits are also allowed?

So I assume that by them saying that full wetsuits are allowed, this means that sleeveless wetsuits are also allowed?

Good question, I have both but if I can choose I would use the sleeveless, unless it's a really cold swim

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Remember they're viewing it from a buoyancy perspective. A sleeveless is far less buoyant than a full.

Ah! Now that makes sense. I didn't know it was from a buoyancy point of view! Thanks so much!

You are very much allowed to use a sleeveless wetsuit, yes.

As long as it is 1 piece.

I only use a sleeveless wetsuit at events. It minimises neck chafe and as a cold water sea swimmer n my speedo and 1 cap I don't really struggle with the cold. 

The suit does help with energy preservation hugely with regards buoyancy as well as your core not wasting energy trying to regulate it's temp. 

Like anything though, if you train with it, then use it. Don't train with 1 thing and race with another and not expect complications of some kind

You are very much allowed to use a sleeveless wetsuit, yes.

As long as it is 1 piece.

I only use a sleeveless wetsuit at events. It minimises neck chafe and as a cold water sea swimmer n my speedo and 1 cap I don't really struggle with the cold. 

The suit does help with energy preservation hugely with regards buoyancy as well as your core not wasting energy trying to regulate it's temp. 

Like anything though, if you train with it, then use it. Don't train with 1 thing and race with another and not expect complications of some kind

Good point, I find that my shoulders / arms get more tired using my full suit and would be hesitant to use it unless I had done sufficient training in it....

a few years ago I did a 3 k time trial test in a 50 m pool and my sleeveless was as quick as the full suit and my shoulders felt less fatigued.

I suspect most benefit from wet suits keeping their hips and legs higher in the water which a sleeveless does just as well as a full...

I recently bought a sleeveless and it is legal where wetsuits are mandatory. I have found very little negative effect regarding buoyancy as your arms weight little comapred to you trunk so thats where buoyancy is needed. 

The pros of wearing a sleevelss far outweight any possible cons which i guess would be a little speed ( possibly) but then i am faster in a speedo than a wetsuit anyway. Hate the restricteness of wetsuits. 

I recently bought a sleeveless and it is legal where wetsuits are mandatory. I have found very little negative effect regarding buoyancy as your arms weight little comapred to you trunk so thats where buoyancy is needed. 

The pros of wearing a sleevelss far outweight any possible cons which i guess would be a little speed ( possibly) but then i am faster in a speedo than a wetsuit anyway. Hate the restricteness of wetsuits. 

Thanks for this. Been mulling over this question. I don't think I would like my shoulders being restricted. Now I can just wait for some decent specials to come up. 

Get a new suit to deal with the neck chafing issue? 

So, is it normal to pitch at the gym pool in a wetsuit? Only done a few swim sessions, and have not seen one yet. Wondering how this will go down.  :ph34r:

Thanks for this. Been mulling over this question. I don't think I would like my shoulders being restricted. Now I can just wait for some decent specials to come up. 

So, is it normal to pitch at the gym pool in a wetsuit? Only done a few swim sessions, and have not seen one yet. Wondering how this will go down.  :ph34r:

Wetsuits should not be used in the gym pool... the neoprene does not like the chemicals in the pool. I guess to try it for 5 minutes and rinse it properly after should be ok.

With sleeveless I still get a bit of neck chafe but will use glide or Vaseline next time to see if works better.

my arms are so mobile in a sleeveless that its a no brainer. much easier to get in and out of too

Chlorine and neoprene are a no no!

Find a dam or a stretch of Sea (not sure where you live) that you can train in comfortably when you want to test drive the wetsuit.

Also remember to rinse it out and let it dry out of the sun.

Sleeveless all the way.

I have also cut my legs to the thickest part of my calves so it is easier to get out of in transition.

The buoyancy is more relevant in the hips/quads and lower torso. The tight ankles just become restricting and difficult to deal with. 

So, is it normal to pitch at the gym pool in a wetsuit? Only done a few swim sessions, and have not seen one yet. Wondering how this will go down. :ph34r:

I plan on swimming in the gym pool with my wetsuit- when I get one. As for price, i plan on getting an xterra vortex4

Edit- just saw the chlorine comments!

Edited by Dullscalpel