Need advice! Getting screwed by local hubber

Tom wells

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow thanks guys. I've got a screenshot of original ad (thanks to google cache), and also a full history of whatsapp conversations. 

Considering the options - my ideal would probably be to have the seller refund the cost of replacing the hub - the wheels seem good and i've already fitted brand new (expensive) tubbies... they just don't fit my bike! :(

He should refund.

However, if they are 24 spokes rear, I have a brand new 11 speed novatec hub that you can have for my cost. Let me know.

Thanks dude - I might take you up on this. I will count spokes tonight.

Wow thanks guys. I've got a screenshot of original ad (thanks to google cache), and also a full history of whatsapp conversations. 

Considering the options - my ideal would probably be to have the seller refund the cost of replacing the hub - the wheels seem good and i've already fitted brand new (expensive) tubbies... they just don't fit my bike! :(

Post the screen shot of the advert.

What wheels did you buy?

Won't it be possible to just replace the freebody with a 11spd freebody and ask the seller to pay for that?

Got to agree with Meezo - all well and good to say 'insist on a refund', but if no cash forthcoming, it would probably take less effort to have the Freehub body machined appropriately, to accommodate an 11sp cassette. I've had it done to a set of Easton's

Would cost by far less than the time spent harboring the irritation.

Let's give the accused/defendant time to finish his coffee, his morning E-mails and his morning toilet break, THEN he can post his side of the story!!

My opinion, Maybe the original owner of the wheels isn't too clued up and thought that they were indeed 11speed compatible, My advice would be for him to admit he made a mistake and offer full refund to the OP, If he has spent the cash, then foot the bill for an 11spd freehub and a complete wheel rebuild (Costs like R250) for labour....

Lets hope this ends well...

If you get no luck with the refund option

What hubs are they?... can you not just get a new 11spd freebody and ask the seller to refund your for the freebody that you had to buy?

If all else fails as Meezo has pointed out and I have done it on a set of wheels to convert from 10 to 11spd, take the freebody to an engineering machine shop.  If it is for a shimano cassette then you will need to have it machined 1.8mm

Let's give the accused/defendant time to finish his coffee, his morning E-mails and his morning toilet break, THEN he can post his side of the story!!

My opinion, Maybe the original owner of the wheels isn't too clued up and thought that they were indeed 11speed compatible, My advice would be for him to admit he made a mistake and offer full refund to the OP, If he has spent the cash, then foot the bill for an 11spd freehub and a complete wheel rebuild (Costs like R250) for labour....

OP, send a link of this thread to the seller :ph34r:

Waiting for his side of the story is driving me insane...

Quick 1 OP.

We are all cycling fanatics/lunatics/whatwver other words you would like to use.

PLEASE do not leave room for questions in your post..

We ALL want to know which wheels they are LOL...

OP, send a link of this thread to the seller :ph34r:

Waiting for his side of the story is driving me insane...

The seller may not even be aware of this thread, So pointless we all "flame" him and he doesn't even know about the thread...

And his "defence" too is killing me!!

He may need to get his "friend" to open a hub profile to come tell his side of the story!!

From what the OP has posted it seems like he has given the seller and his hub buddy middleman more than enough info to consider doing the right thing, but now they've gone stealth silent.

Going to be interesting to see if the other party participates here!

Seems like they're ripe for a naming at this point already.

Ahhh man... I HATE it when sellers just keep ignoring messages!

Please inform everyone who this hubber is if he hasn't responded after you sent him the link to this thread

Name and shame! Seller should have been jumping around to 'make right' at the point of realizing the issue instead of excuses and going silent. 

Can't have these gumtree trolls messing up a reputable space and (sorry) taking hubbers for a ride 

Recycles in Bellville charged me R600 for wheel strip and rebuild :angry:. Are you sure it only cost R250?

Recycles in Bellville charged me R600 for wheel strip and rebuild :angry:. Are you sure it only cost R250?

Did you get new spokes with the rebuild?

Some just charge more than others, but spokes are also costly. 

Archived