Helmet Advice

VT2jp

Hi Fellow Hubbers,

Some advice/ direction on 2 potential helmets I am looking at.

The Bell Zephyr MIPs and the Specialized Sworks Prevail 2.

RRP Locally for the Bell is reportedly R4700 and the Sworks R3750.

When researching the intrinsics of the 2 helmets, I couldn't help but notice that there was only a 5 USD difference on price point on international sites/ reviews. This with the Bell being WAY out of sync at R4700..

There should only be around a R70 (current exchange rate) R100 max (bought at historical exchange rate) difference in price, so the Bell should sit at around R3900rrp max.

Any thoughts on this mismatch??

Edited by VT2jp

Possibly old stock price verses new price??

Else if different shops then could be the way they mark up their prices

Local distributor pricing, old stock, different exchange rates at time of purchase, bike shop markup...

Loads of factors could be affecting it. 

Taking old vs new stock into account and diff exchange rates (that is taken care of in the R70 vs R100 variance), it does not speak to the R950 mismatch in local vs international pricing between the 2 brands. (225 vs 230 USD Spez vs Bell). The other variable left is the local distributor pricing - this seems to be where we are getting fleeced...

Edited by VT2jp

not much you can do about it...

Exactly, I don't understand what the OP is trying to achieve? Contact the distributor for an answer?

Exactly, I don't understand what the OP is trying to achieve? Contact the distributor for an answer?

ITO helmet choice, they're both great helmets, it's a toss up between the 2.

ITO 25% pricing mismatch between Bell vs Spez for these models (which should not exist), just wanted some clarity as to why..

Just buy the S-Works .... you will be happy !!

This ^^^^^^

I've been super happy with my prevail , and I can only imagine that the new one will be just as good if not better