SRAM and Chain Reaction Cycle orders - disgraceful

sebnac

Eldron , I must say that ALL the Shimano parts I have bought from CRC have arrived fully boxed in original packaging .

There seems to be a fair mix - I've everything from all zip lock bags to all original boxes with instructions. Quite right you are.

I'm sure CRC and such get their parts from a variety of sources. Some boxed some not.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eldron , I must say that ALL the Shimano parts I have bought from CRC have arrived fully boxed in original packaging .

Yes, I think mine have too, as did the Pike fork I got from bike-discount.de (complete with spares kit and shock pump). PS these can still be had from there at a vastly cheaper rate than the local SRAM rip off prices.

Eldron, your post sounds like a local dealer bad mouthing the overseas competition?

It is of course a complicated issue.

Here is the situation as I understand it - I could be wrong of course....this is "best of my knowledge" stuff..

CRC and the like get their stock in two (or more ways that I don't know about):

1 - from bicycle manufacturers that have bought too much shimano/sram (let's include sram for now) and sell the stock at reduced cost to free up cash. They get the stock at vastly reduced cost because they buy in bulk and get their stock arrives in zip lock bags with no instructions/pretty box etc.

2 - from "buyers" in the east who place big orders on shimano under the guise of being bicycle manufacturers but aren't really.

So basically CRC are supplying product in mass packaging based on OEM bike manufacturing pricing.

This raises the question of what is the real price?

In my opinion the real price is what we can get the product for locally -- the CRC no packaging/mass buying price is exactly that - a no packaging/mass buying price that should not be available to the general public. CRC and the like get to this no packaging/nass price through grey/morally questionable means.

Mr. Joe Public will of course always want the cheaper price. That is his/her "real price" because CRC and such have obtained the no package/mass price through dodgy means.

Other issue is back up - another debatable of course but Coolheat locally have a warehouse full of spares and knowledge to fix goodies when things go wrong. CRC and the like are not burdoned by these costs. Coolheat are by no means perfect and do not carry every item that is available from Shimano.

My 2c - have at it :-)

It comes down to simple numbers and transport costs. Far cheaper per unit to order 10,000 of a single item and ship to the UK than it is to order 100 of a single item and ship to RSA. 

Just because some business doesn't do things how you want them to do it, doesn't mean that's it's disgraceful.

Try and understand why they are doing things the way they do (and no it's not always about screwing us).

Perhaps what they are doing isn't to our liking, but the melodrama creates so much outrage fatigue.... sjoe

Ordered some stuff from Probikeshop last Monday and by Thursday I took delivery. When I checked prices on a groupset for a friend yesterday they don't list South Africa as a delivery destination. And that is for none of their products.

They don't deliver to South Africa anymore. I emailed and asked them for a reason, but they wouldn't elaborate. In my opinion, they were better than CRC. Good prices, and a wider range of stuff.

It comes down to simple numbers and transport costs. Far cheaper per unit to order 10,000 of a single item and ship to the UK than it is to order 100 of a single item and ship to RSA. 

Precisely - which begs the question, what do we as consumers get for the extra money? A warranty claim? Maybe. Hard to imagine a failed derailleur other than from rider abuse. Wear and tear items like drive trains components rarely give warranty issues in my experience. 

I find dealing with CRC quicker and easier than dealing with local shops. I had a defect in a helmet I bought - no problem - 50 pound voucher immediately. Can you imagine a local shop doing that long distance and within a couple of days?

Yes, I think mine have too, as did the Pike fork I got from bike-discount.de (complete with spares kit and shock pump). PS these can still be had from there at a vastly cheaper rate than the local SRAM rip off prices.

Eldron, your post sounds like a local dealer bad mouthing the overseas competition?

Ah the old "you must be tainted Trump style" tin hat conspiracy defence?

No - I live in Denmark now and it is actually in my best interest to buy from CRC at the reduced prices. I won't though - I'll support local.

Edit: The packaging versus no packaging debate lessens the cost difference but still does not remove the morality of mass purchasers mascerading as bicycle manufacturers buying products at OEM pricing then selling to the public.

It's probably legal but just doesn't sit well with me.

Ah the old "you must be tainted Trump style" tin hat conspiracy defence?

No - I live in Denmark now and it is actually in my best interest to buy from CRC at the reduced prices. I won't though - I'll support local.

Yes, sorry, Trump has rubbed off on me long distance it seems :-) 

Aha - and what are the local prices and service like in that very first world, high income,  but presumably quite expensive country?

Just because some business doesn't do things how you want them to do it, doesn't mean that's it's disgraceful.

Try and understand why they are doing things the way they do (and no it's not always about screwing us).

Perhaps what they are doing isn't to our liking, but the melodrama creates so much outrage fatigue.... sjoe

I couldn't agree more... Disgraceful is such a dramatic word.

The local prices to after market service is quite often disgraceful..

Having their SRAM wings clipped by captain americas Scott, Ray and Sam is probably quite a cut in the CRC turnover.

I'm pretty sure the Northern Irishmen aren't too enamored with the decision themselves.

Precisely - which begs the question, what do we as consumers get for the extra money? A warranty claim? Maybe. Hard to imagine a failed derailleur other than from rider abuse. Wear and tear items like drive trains components rarely give warranty issues in my experience. 

I find dealing with CRC quicker and easier than dealing with local shops. I had a defect in a helmet I bought - no problem - 50 pound voucher immediately. Can you imagine a local shop doing that long distance and within a couple of days?

It all comes down to what the real price is - if you use CRC price as the basline then local suppliers are ripping us off.

If you use the local price as the base line - we are benefitting from morallly questionable business practises.

Can't fault CRC on their business skills though - they are really good at what they do in terms of return/faults etc!

Yes, sorry, Trump has rubbed off on me long distance it seems :-) 

Aha - and what are the local prices and service like in that very first world, high income,  but presumably quite expensive country?

Pricing isn't too bad actually - I'm guessing because shipping is WAY cheaper than SA. As far as I know Denmark in on Shimano's direct order system so minimal stock is kept in Denmark (mainly spares etc) - all stock gets shipped directly from Holland.

Service is dodgy - mainly because 98% of the bikes here are internally geared commuter bikes. Finding a shop that servies XT and XTR level components well is tough.

Expensive as faaaark here. Coffee and cake for me and the missus can be as much as R500! Copenhagen is top 10 most expensive countries in the world...

Seen this too from a fella that I worked with, all his stuff was always in the original boxes packed all neatly.

Archived