1 x 11 chain drops

etienne_jordaan

Hi guys, will appreciate some advise or input. I run a 1 x 11 drivetrain, M8000 XT der, cassette and shifter with XTR 960 crank and 34t Absolute Black N/W ring bolted to centre positioin where middle blade would usually be. Niner EMD9 hardtail. I am however experiencing chain drops on a regular basis over rough/corrugated terrain and as you have to stop to put chain back on, gets quite annoying. I've tried the clutch system engaged and disengaged.  Is this a common problem or not? I am now seriously considering a chainguide.

As above. Check your clutch! If it is disengaged you will drop your chain most rides. 

Grey lever should be forward.

Tom

Welcome the hubland.

Check to see if your clutch is actually working when engaged - there is a marked difference between engaged or not.(Sometimes there is a little plate inside that fails)

Is it dropping in particular gears - high or low or anywhere?

1. Check that your cluch is engaged.

2. Check that your chain isn't too long.

3. If the above fails, invest in a light weight chainguide (top guides). You get many these days that add no more than 50g, and they aren't expenive at all.

EDIT: If you buy a chainguide you will have to get one that worka with oval chainrings - Absolute Black make a very nice one.

Thanks for the response guys. 1 Chain is not worn, only couple weeks old and i am in the habit of gauging it regularly. 2 I've experimented with clutch on and off, the clutch does work as the howl drivetrain tightens up when engaged. Personally i don't like the feel of the shifting with clutch engaged but i suppose it's there for a reason. 3 Happens on low gears 11/12 tooth. Makes sense as that's when der cage has least tension and when using those gears you at higher speeds, hence more chainslap etc. Will have a look at chain length.

Thanks for the response guys. 1 Chain is not worn, only couple weeks old and i am in the habit of gauging it regularly. 2 I've experimented with clutch on and off, the clutch does work as the howl drivetrain tightens up when engaged. Personally i don't like the feel of the shifting with clutch engaged but i suppose it's there for a reason. 3 Happens on low gears 11/12 tooth. Makes sense as that's when der cage has least tension and when using those gears you at higher speeds, hence more chainslap etc. Will have a look at chain length.

If your clutch isn't engaged then you will get drops. Only way to ride 1x without clutch engaged is to have the perfect length chain and a guide.

Can you post a pic of the whole drivetrain when in 1st and 11th please. Will be able to see if it's a chain length issue.

I have a similar problem. Chain climbs off at the top of the chainring of my 1x11 xtr drivetrain. I will consider a guide, Shimano makes one that matches my drivetrain - they call it a front deraileur ;)

But Im going to try a Wolf Tooth chainring first

Have you checked your chain line?

The front chain-ring alignment might be more to the one side causing it to drop.

I have a similar problem. Chain climbs off at the top of the chainring of my 1x11 xtr drivetrain. I will consider a guide, Shimano makes one that matches my drivetrain - they call it a front deraileur ;)

But Im going to try a Wolf Tooth chainring first

Set your limit screws

Archived