Spez Epic Comp Carbon 1x11 conversion

Zucs

Thanks again for all the responses everyone!

See below my revised order, after taking everybody's responses into account. I think the XTR shifter with multi-release makes sense. I also think a 34t front oval ring with Shimano's new 11-46 tooth cassette at the back gives nice range? (I am small, light and climb well...)

- Chainring: BLACK by Absoluteblack narrow wide oval single chainring (34t, 104mm)

- Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 11 speed trigger shifter rear (bar mount)

- Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed rear mech (medium cage)

- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11 speed 11-46t

- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800-XT M8000 HG701 11 spd

Any final thoughts? Not sure whether to go for the "long" or "medium" cage derailleur...? Views on the 34t, 11-46 combo? Per the responses to this post, seems the Absoluteblack ring will fit fine on my current SRAM crank?

Thanks everybody! Exciting times...

M8000 XT shifters do have multi release. You can release 1 or two gears at a time depending how far you pull/push the shift lever......and yes you can pull it with your index finger or push it with your thumb to release. When shifting to easier gears for a climb you can do up to 4 at a time on the long lever.

You don't need the long cage RD unless you are running a 3x system or a non standard 2x. The med cage XT RD accomodates all standard 1x and 2x setups. However, on a 2x if you go wider than the standard 10t step on the front rings or bigger than 40t on the cassette then you need long cage.

Med cage will do all shimano cassettes up to the 11-46 in 1x systems

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Splat, see my final proposed config above. Any thoughts would be great??

Its a good configuration - I think that you have everything right

(I am a large unit, so wouldn't cope with a 34t ring and the 46 at the back, but if you are a strong climber, it's a great combo).

The XT shifter does have multi shift in both directions, but I am not sure what the XTR has in comparison. XTR is nice, just becuase it says XTR...

What brakes are you running?

(I did the I-Spec 2 mount shifter with the XT brakes - nice and clean on the bars.

and with no front mech, there is space for my dropper remote on the LHS.

Good luck with the new bits!

Its a good configuration - I think that you have everything right

(I am a large unit, so wouldn't cope with a 34t ring and the 46 at the back, but if you are a strong climber, it's a great combo).

The XT shifter does have multi shift in both directions, but I am not sure what the XTR has in comparison. XTR is nice, just becuase it says XTR...

What brakes are you running?

(I did the I-Spec 2 mount shifter with the XT brakes - nice and clean on the bars.

and with no front mech, there is space for my dropper remote on the LHS.

Good luck with the new bits!

Sounds great! I currently have XT brakes but with a direct bar mount. I think this means I will need to stick to the direct mount XT shifter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! Nothing wrong with the XT cassette, and the 11-46 is the one I'd get (now that they're available)

yes the 104bcd ring is the one to get. And yes, you need a narrow wide for a 1x setup. Unless you have a chain guide.

FWIW: the Shimano 94 BCD rings do not use Narrow wide (according to CRC and their site) they dont need it - just the clutch derailleur. 

I am curious if narrow wide has higher drag on the front ring BTW as I went to a 34 tooth Rapide front and that is narrow wide AFAIK. seems to hold the chain more on the ring.

But the 104 BCD has more flexibility IMHO and the amount of rings out there is higher.

Thanks again for all the responses everyone!

See below my revised order, after taking everybody's responses into account. I think the XTR shifter with multi-release makes sense. I also think a 34t front oval ring with Shimano's new 11-46 tooth cassette at the back gives nice range? (I am small, light and climb well...)

- Chainring: BLACK by Absoluteblack narrow wide oval single chainring (34t, 104mm)

- Shifter: Shimano XTR M9000 11 speed trigger shifter rear (bar mount)

- Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 Shadow+ 11 speed rear mech (medium cage)

- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11 speed 11-46t

- Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6800-XT M8000 HG701 11 spd

Any final thoughts? Not sure whether to go for the "long" or "medium" cage derailleur...? Views on the 34t, 11-46 combo? Per the responses to this post, seems the Absoluteblack ring will fit fine on my current SRAM crank?

Thanks everybody! Exciting times...

FWIW: I have a some of what you are looking for in my garage as i have changed so many things on this setup and bought so many others. They are all brand new or  used once and removed.

These include the XT 11 speed rear shifter (fitted and removed in Dec) which has got multi release (as we have now proved)  and the Suntour 11-46 Cassette (from Rapide) that is still in the box.

PM me if you are interested in doing a deal and saving some money.

I wish i had done what you are doing, but i was spending Xmas bonus on the CRC site one night and pulled the trigger before doing the research.

Would have saved a lot of subsequent issues to get it all right. 

Sounds great! I currently have XT brakes but with a direct bar mount. I think this means I will need to stick to the direct mount XT shifter?

If you have XT brakes (M785 i think) it might be i-spec B, i have those and went with an i-spec B shifter which cleared my handlebar up never nicely, only have brakes and shifter on the brake now, so only 2 clamps on the actual bar.

FWIW: the Shimano 94 BCD rings do not use Narrow wide (according to CRC and their site) they dont need it - just the clutch derailleur. 

The Shimano teeth are tall, but not narrow wide. They didn't feel it was necessary when they were launched, but since then have revised the tooth profile and quietly released a new version.

See original CRM80 vs new CRM81

post-615-0-41583700-1486451159_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-26902600-1486451160_thumb.jpg

The Shimano teeth are tall, but not narrow wide. They didn't feel it was necessary when they were launched, but since then have revised the tooth profile and quietly released a new version.

See original CRM80 vs new CRM81

You are the 11 speed guru.

Wish i had contacted you before learning all the details from trying things out :-(

Med cage will do all shimano cassettes up to the 11-46 in 1x systems

Is this only for 11 speed? I'm currently running a 10 speed rear derailleur with a 11-46T Sunrace cassette and the shifting is sub optimal. 

Is this only for 11 speed? I'm currently running a 10 speed rear derailleur with a 11-46T Sunrace cassette and the shifting is sub optimal. 

Which RD? Have you put a longer B screw in place and had it set up properly?

i have the same bike and did same upgrade.

i ran 1x10 for 2years ,with a SRAM XX crank with 32t.

2 weeks ago I just fitted my "black friday"  XT 1x11 upgrade kit(46t ! )   and Wolftooth Oval 34 , still on XX crank ..  no issues .. rode Attakwas Extreme

(still have my XX WorldCup brakes)

Which RD? Have you put a longer B screw in place and had it set up properly?

Sorry, it's a XTR 10 speed rear derailleur with clutch and I have installed the longer B screw.

I can't seem to get the shifting correct, no matter how I adjust the gears. I have even replaced the hanger and it doesn't appear to have helped.

Sorry, it's a XTR 10 speed rear derailleur with clutch and I have installed the longer B screw.

I can't seem to get the shifting correct, no matter how I adjust the gears. I have even replaced the hanger and it doesn't appear to have helped.

long cage / medium cage?

According to Shimano's spec sheet the 10 speed RDs (including XTR M986 GS/SGS) are designed for a maximum cog size of 36T. You can get it to run on bigger cogs by turning in the B screw but then the clearance from top jockey wheel to cogs in the smaller sizes gets large and shifting would be slow and sloppy.

The 11 speed Shimano RDs including XTR, XT and SLX are all designed to accomodate the 11-46 cassette as standard. They have a steeper slope on their shift ramp which keeps the top pulley closer to the cogs through the whole range.

Just beware that for some strange reason the SLX M7000 SGS (long cage) RD used for the 3x system is still 10 speed, not 11 and it is designed for cogs up to 36t max. The SLX M7000 3x rear shifter is also only 10 speed. If you are going with SLX 11speed RD to save some $$$ then be careful to buy only the medium cage M7000-GS RD and other parts from the 1x or 2x systems.

My 11spd XT RD shifts much better with 11-46 than the old 10 spd XT RD did on a converted 10speed 11-42 cassette.

I have since changed my old 1x10 back to 2x10 on another bike and it runs perfectly again. Converted 10 speed 1x systems can be reliable but shift quality is definitely affected.

Splat, see my final proposed config above. Any thoughts would be great??

You need to swap out the cable inlets to the frame from 2x to 1x - otherwise you will be creating holes for water where the extra cable used to go.

visit your local spez dealer for those - mine just gave me a set for my conversion to 1 x 12.

PS - I have heard that SRAM are releasing a GX level 1 x 12 shortly - you may want to wait...

XT M8000 brakes come as standard with a plastic insert that can be removed if you want to fit i-spec II shifters. There is only this one version of the brake levers

M8000 shifters are available in a bar clamp only version (SL-M8000-L/R), an i-specB version (SL-M8000-B-IL/IR) for fitting to older i-specB brake levers and a i-spec II version (SL-M8000-IL/IR).

Be careful not to buy the i-spec B version if you will run M8000 brakes at some stage as you will not be able to mount the shifters to them.

If you have M8000 brakes you can choose either the bar mount or i-spec II shifters.

Archived