Quagga

Having bicycle races on roads with traffic is a bit crazy. Riders ARE going to take chances, drivers ARE going to get impatient. Roll the dice and take your chances. (Having said that I still take part now and then)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can not see that he nearly went into the truck from the front? That the truck from the front stopped in yellow lane?

Definitely it's squeaky bum time racing on a busy road, the hazard was set up by the cyclists and the driver showed poor judgement. 

The cyclists were definitely in the wrong in terms of how to cycle on an open road. Presumably the organisers and the cops accept that suspending rules to keep people safe is ok.

The riders were overtaking each other to get into better possition.

Everyone was doing the keep left pass right and you can see that even the dude with the camera is peddaling to go forward....

Everyone on that video is coasting untill after the truck has passed. Don't think anyone (except the dude with the camera perhaps), was riding to gain position.

The truck should have waited until it was safe to pass. It didn't.

Thats the point.

100%!

IF YOU CAN'T PASS SAFELY, IT'S NOT SAFE TO PASS... FFS!!!

The cyclists were definitely in the wrong in terms of how to cycle on an open road. Presumably the organisers and the cops accept that suspending rules to keep people safe is ok.

Disagree, we don't have the full picture of how big group was & how many riders were behind Coenie. Not so sure why you & others are so keen to believe that a group of cyclists would keep to the far right of the lane just for the heck of it.

Everyone on that video is coasting untill after the truck has passed. Don't think anyone (except the dude with the camera perhaps), was riding to gain position.

I'm just going to take a deep breath and leave this thread before I say something that will get me banned.

I'm just going to take a deep breath and leave this thread before I say something that will get me banned.

Same Here..... :whistling:  :wacko:

trucks overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic is the norm - just drive up to Jo'berg and if you don't encounter a truck coming towards you on the wrong side of the road then you are lucky.

Lol dude relax.

I also cycle, I also do this. It's not about always blaming the cyclist.

How the cyclists were riding has everything to do with this. Instead of having to completely going into oncoming traffic the driver could have stayed half in the normal lane and half over the line.

If you can't admit that there is some fault to the group as well then so be it. Just stating my opinion as I see things. No need to get worked up

Have you ever been in the situation of a big group crash. At what point do you think it safe to ride halfway into a lane filled with cyclists. Are you even aware of the space need for  cyclists to correct their line at speed to avoid collision with a downed rider?

Riding and driving safely requires space!!! 

"Riding in a block is a courtesy to motorists..."

You wanna try that in Souf Efrica?

The motoring mentality here is not comparable to the UK.

"Riding in a block is a courtesy to motorists..."

You wanna try that in Souf Efrica?

The motoring mentality here is not comparable to the UK.

Really? 3 cyclists killed in London in last week.

Also go riding with a car following, makes it even safer.

Really? 3 cyclists killed in London in last week.

Also go riding with a car following, makes it even safer.

Personally I agree with the infographic. But I maintain that motorists are far more tolerant in the UK than here. I've lived there for 5 years.

Statistically, I'll bet you we have FAR more cycling fatalities per km's travelled here than there. The UK has 5.1 road fatalities per 100 000 motor vehicles and South Africa 133.9. Just an indicator.

Personally I agree with the infographic. But I maintain that motorists are far more tolerant in the UK than here. I've lived there for 5 years.

Statistically, I'll bet you we have FAR more cycling fatalities per km's travelled here than there. The UK has 5.1 road fatalities per 100 000 motor vehicles and South Africa 133.9. Just an indicator.

Difficult to say for sure without statistics but there were 124 recorded cycling deaths in the UK last year. I fully agree with you that motor vehicle fatalities in SA is far higher than the UK. 

You're obviously excluding London from your statement regarding tolerance? 

Archived