Bite gap on Shimano Deore disc brakes

Mad

How does one set the bite gap on Deore disc brakes. The rear brake has a nice travel before the discs bite and the front is very very close, almost immediately.

I bought the bike secondhand. Bike did about 160km. Die pads are practically brand new.

I bought the bike secondhand. Bike did about 160km. Die pads are practically brand new.

Did the seller say they are brand new ? Or are you clued up enough to know they are new ?

If indeed they are new A bleeding will sort out your problem quick quick.

Don't the Deore brakes have an adjust point on the lever which uses a number 3 hex key as opposed to a dial?

You can adjust the pull point with that.

Did you get this sorted Mad? Please provide some feedback. It helps with the conclusion of these techie threads if someone else has the same problem.

Don't the Deore brakes have an adjust point on the lever which uses a number 3 hex key as opposed to a dial?

You can adjust the pull point with that.

That's just the reach of the lever. Nothing to do with the bit point of the brakes or where in the lever throw the pads hit the discs. 

Before I start I need to warn you that the following can go just right or very wrong, so do it at own risk and not 10 minutes before your ride.

It seem like the front brake has been overfilled. On Deore brakes the reach can be adjusted but not the bite point (XT has this feature but it does not do much anyway).

What I have done on Deore brakes was to dial the reach adjustment all the way out.

Loosen the bleed port nut on the calliper.

Very lightly and very carefully and squeeze the lever a tiny bit until you see some fluid coming out of the bleed port. Do not let go of the lever.

With the other hand and with some yoga skills close the bleed port again. 

Let go of the lever.

Dial in you preferred reach adjust. 

If it went well: You should have a lever which moves quite a bit more before the pads engage.

If it did not go well: You will have to have the brakes bled as there is then too little fluid in the system or air got in. 

*Remove the wheel and pads before you do this. 

*Clean the calliper of any brake fluid

*If you crash into a tree because you brakes no longer work…not my fault.

Deore brakes are self adjusting as the pads wear. It is most likely that someone pulled the front brake while the wheel was out. Consequently the pads move in more than they should and don't return all the way.

Before opening the brake hydraulics remove the wheel and pads and use some old pads with a piston spreader tool or a big screwdriver to push the pistons all the way back into the calipers. Then refit the pads and wheel and ride a few gentle circuits around the yard while activating the brake lever to reset the pads to correct clearance..

If this doesn't work then either there is air in the hydraulics or the brakes were overfilled during a previous bleed due to bleeding with worn pads/discs in situ instead of a bleed block that provides correct spacing. In both these cases you need to bleed the brake with correct procedure and tools.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk