Western Cape MTB weekends away - Suggestions

wazriley

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some suggestions for a mountain biking weekend away anywhere in the Western Cape. Im based in Cape Town, so ideally looking to explore some rides outside the city.

Ideally would like to be able to rent a house/cottage and take the family along as well. So far ive seen Garden Route trail park as a good option but its a bit of a drive. Does anyone know of any great spots near grabouw ; Citrusdel areas ? 

One of the best spots in Grabouw would be the Trail's End Hotel. They cater specifically for outdoor enthusiasts, family friendly with something for everyone. I believe you can also buy your permits for all the Grabouw trails including Oak Valley and Paul Cluver there now. 

http://www.trailsend.bike

GRTP is also an amazing place, they have built a new dorm style accommodation for riders, definitely worth the drive out. 

Edited by DTF16

Eselfontein (near Ceres) - nice house to rent or camping

Cedeberg Trails - Camping and cottages at Sandrift or Driehoek

Both have awesome trails.

Edited by MTBeer

Eselfontein (near Ceres) - nice house to rent or camping

Cedeberg Trails - Camping and cottages at Sandrift or Driehoek

Both have awesome trails.

Been to sandrift but never driehoek how would you rate compared to sandrift.

Other option is Pikietberg but you must pm the dude here on the hub for trail access

Been to sandrift but never driehoek how would you rate compared to sandrift.

Other option is Pikietberg but you must pm the dude here on the hub for trail access

Driehoek is smaller more 'structured' campsite. seems a lot quieter on a normal weekend as well. Nice grass, nice ablutions. A bit of a pedal to the start of the trails though. About 10km to the farm office where you pay, although the trail starts before that, at about 6km.

Greyton has about 60km of trails and the town is great for the family with lovely coffee shops and other niknaks. Buy your weekend permit at Vanilla Cafe in Vigne street.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the trail development around Stanford with riding the Stanford Mtb tour.

You can drive there for a say, but to Book in for a weekend in stellies wil be am experience. Mucho trails all around and foody heaven.

I van vouch for Eselfontein, Houdenbek, Greyton,Grabouw, and Hermanus, they are amazing. Hermanus probably won't keep you busy for more than a day though I'd you are fit. Unless you do a lot of gravel road.

Oooh, the Grootvadersbosch Conservancy trails taught me a lesson in humility. I want to go back to kick it in return in its teeth. Lekker trails. Go check it out.

I still want to book a weekend in Bredasdorp to check out the trails there. Google Southernmost Fund, the guy is called Naas and he has apparently built a lot of trails there.

Gansbaai also has a lekker trail behind the mountain. Combine it with a fatbike your in the dunes and you'll go home very tired.

Thanks everyone , plenty of options to explore ! Better get busy planning , we really are spoilt for choice

Driehoek is smaller more 'structured' campsite. seems a lot quieter on a normal weekend as well. Nice grass, nice ablutions. A bit of a pedal to the start of the trails though. About 10km to the farm office where you pay, although the trail starts before that, at about 6km.

So we are regulars at Sandrif and when we are in the area generally stick to these trails.

We've never ridden the trails at driehhoek, didn't know they had actually! What are the trails like? Difficulty? Distance? Route marking?

Heading there again over Easter so it would be rad to have another trail to ride.

Also, nuwerus around the corner are at the base of a 7km downhill mountain pass. There also happens to be great bit of single track that runs parallel to the pass! Makes for a great shuttle run!

So we are regulars at Sandrif and when we are in the area generally stick to these trails.

We've never ridden the trails at driehhoek, didn't know they had actually! What are the trails like? Difficulty? Distance? Route marking?

Heading there again over Easter so it would be rad to have another trail to ride.

Also, nuwerus around the corner are at the base of a 7km downhill mountain pass. There also happens to be great bit of single track that runs parallel to the pass! Makes for a great shuttle run!

there are no trails at Driehoek. We just camp there and ride the Sandrif/Cederberg trails.