Karma grip for Gopro 5

Pieter1

Hey guys/girls.

This looks like quite a lekker gadget. Has anyone got one? If you use the chest mount do you need to mount the whole device? I'm keen to get one just not sure if it is cumbersome.

Thanks!

The shape of it makes it seem pretty awkward, was also wondering what its like when its mounted.

I saw some videos shot with one and its pretty damn smooth.

There is an attachment you can fit to mount on GoPro mounts like the body harness but, yeah, you need to wear the whole thing! They are working on a system that will allow you to separate the gimbal head from the battery (which you can do as it is designed to be used on the Karma quadcopter) but its tethered to the battery handle by a cable. This has already been done by other gimbal producers and there is a big move to make them super portable with the batteries housed in the gimbal base itself. I have had the one with a cable to a battery handle...a pain...and eventually, the cable gave in at one of the ends because of all the mounting and un-mounting.

The newer, more portable wearable gimbals are the way to go and can be remotely controlled by phone or BT remote.

http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=109&id=195

Edit: And of course the Grip is WAYYYY more expensive...$300 without the camera vs less than $200 for a wearable with spare rechargeable batteries. Batteries are not removable either so 6hrs for a full re-charge!!!! Also no pan or tilt control and the unit cannot stand on its own...ie no tripod mount thread...

My opinion...they missed the boat on this.....

Hell no!

post-35907-0-51600500-1487939358_thumb.jpeg

There is an attachment you can fit to mount on GoPro mounts like the body harness but, yeah, you need to wear the whole thing! They are working on a system that will allow you to separate the gimbal head from the battery (which you can do as it is designed to be used on the Karma quadcopter) but its tethered to the battery handle by a cable. This has already been done by other gimbal producers and there is a big move to make them super portable with the batteries housed in the gimbal base itself. I have had the one with a cable to a battery handle...a pain...and eventually, the cable gave in at one of the ends because of all the mounting and un-mounting.

The newer, more portable wearable gimbals are the way to go and can be remotely controlled by phone or BT remote.

http://www.zhiyun-tech.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=109&id=195

Edit: And of course the Grip is WAYYYY more expensive...$300 without the camera vs less than $200 for a wearable with spare rechargeable batteries. Batteries are not removable either so 6hrs for a full re-charge!!!! Also no pan or tilt control and the unit cannot stand on its own...ie no tripod mount thread...

My opinion...they missed the boat on this.....

Hell no!

Untitled.jpeg

That sucks man. Although that bag strap mount thing does not look like it will be to much of a bother. I would really like something like this tho.

• 6 months later...

That is awesome!

Great form factor, but only one plane of stabilization?? They relying on GoPro stablization for the other planes!? GoPro stabilization is digital and is achieved by cropping the frame...not the best way but works for minor stabilization....And battery only lasts 3 hrs and needs 2 to recharge...meh...removable rechargeable batteries always better...

Great form factor, but only one plane of stabilization?? They relying on GoPro stablization for the other planes!? GoPro stabilization is digital and is achieved by cropping the frame...not the best way but works for minor stabilization....And battery only lasts 3 hrs and needs 2 to recharge...meh...removable rechargeable batteries always better...

True but it is a step in the right direction.

Archived