[Event] Eroica South Africa

Stan Engelbrecht

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously classy Italian, in perfect shape, shoulder to shoulder with a French named local, that looks like it was taken off the wall the night before, dusted off, and ready to go!

The Cinelli, I think, belongs to Loose Cog!

That local girl was cleaned nicely the day before after being on a bike rack, while I was sliding around gravel roads in the McGreggor area ;) She did the 90km, and survived ( I'm still amazed, and not sure how ) especially the last few km from the dam to the tar on the way back to Montagu. 

Shakes and rattles, while straining under my 90+ odd kg of Afrikaans seun weight. So grateful nothing snapped on the drive train,or punctured on the tekkies.

Beautiful photos DJR.

Edited by slowpoke_ct

Awesome photos DJR!

Thank you. In keeping with the old classics I decided to do everything in black & white. Some took the theme even further and took their pictures with old film cameras. I now regret giving mine away to a young photography student, but at least it went to a good home.

That local girl was cleaned nicely the day before after being on a bike rack, while I was sliding around gravel roads in the McGreggor area ;) She did the 90km, and survived ( I'm still amazed, and not sure how ) especially the last few km from the dam to the tar on the way back to Montagu. 

Shakes and rattles, while straining under my 90+ odd kg of Afrikaans seun weight. So grateful nothing spanned on the drive train,or punctured on the tekkies.

Beautiful photos DJR.

Last year I was also surprised at how well the old bikes held up, but I think they are more solid than we give them credit for. Actually, thinking back, the very first time I did something like that was in the late 1970s when I did the Swartberg Pass on a road bike, but I was 16 then (long long ago) and I never thought it was anything unusual. 

Edited by DJR

Last year I was also surprised at how well the old bikes held up, but I think they are more solid than we give them credit for. Actually, thinking back, the very first time I did something like that was in the late 1970s when I did the Swartberg Pass on a road bike, but I was 16 then (long long ago) and I never thought it was anything unusual. 

The more I cycle around, the more I realise my beautiful steeds ( the Rapport and a Silverback MTB ) are far more capable than my amount of courage. Would almost go so far as to say, like in fighter planes, that the large chunk of fat and flesh is the limiting factor, which is actually great :)

Is really wonderful to see that your sons enjoyed the journey with you, that must have been super special !

Thank you. In keeping with the old classics I decided to do everything in black & white. Some took the theme even further and took their pictures with old film cameras. I now regret giving mine away to a young photography student, but at least it went to a good home.

I've still got one...Just saying.

Hi HeyYou

I'm really starting to feel that I should save up a bit to do one of the international Eroicas. I know you did Eroica Brittania. How was it? Would you recommend it? Or should I aim for one of the Italian ones?  

Hi HeyYou

I'm really starting to feel that I should save up a bit to do one of the international Eroicas. I know you did Eroica Brittania. How was it? Would you recommend it? Or should I aim for one of the Italian ones?  

I haven't done the Italian ride, so I have no idea what it's like. I'm going to try and do it next year, 2018.

But, Eroica Britannia is quite different to our Eroica, from a couple of perspectives:

It's much, much bigger, this year they have almost 4000 riders (I believe). I've heard that it's begger than the Italian Eroica, but I don't know.

The festival is 3 days (like Woodstock), with lots of different bands; a Concours d'Elégance  for the best bike; there are 10s of food stalls, from burgers to a sit down 3 course meal, with starched table cloths etc; there's a camp ground at the festival and showers etc; playground for kids etc etc. 

And, of course, there are some very old bikes and lots of theme riders.

It's something we can aspire to, would be fantastic to get ours up to 300 bikes.

post-25781-0-24295500-1490274695_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-57467900-1490274756_thumb.jpg

Probably 30 or more bike stalls, 2nd hand bikes, new bikes, bike parts, lots of places to spend your money.

Nigel, from CampOldy has a stall, Steel Vintage, Retrospective Cycles (in the pic).

post-25781-0-19483500-1490274804_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-14642200-1490274821_thumb.jpg

post-25781-0-78548900-1490274836_thumb.jpg

Edited by HeyYou