American Classic Smoking Gun

Fox3

Hi Hubbers,

I have recently been looking into a new wheelset. I saw the AM Smoking Gun wheels at CWCycles the first time a couple of months back. Then already I thought they were quite amazing. My question is does anyone have a set? Has anyone ridden a set? How are they? Would it be better to go for the Wide Lightnings which also come at a better price? As I understand it though the wider you go the better the ride gets. According to several reviews they are quite amazing. The next set I but might become my only set so I would like to buy versatile quality wheels. I have also looked at a set of Arch MK3/Hope Pro 4. Had Arches previously and quite liked them.

Any advice, reviews and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

http://bikemob.co.za/2016/04/18/american-classic-smokin-guns-welcome-to-plush-sized-wheels/

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/american-classic-smoking-gun-wheelset

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/american-classic-wide-lightning-29er-wheelset

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/ztr-29r-arch-mk3hope-pro-4-wheelset

https://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-mtb/new-2016-american-classic-smoking-gun-29er-tubeless-wheelset.html

https://www.evobikes.co.za/wheels/wheelsets-mtb/american-classic-wide-lighting-29er-tubeless-wheelset.html

My race partner has a set and he likes them- except on his ds bike the profile change to the tire means he gets some light frame rub on the seat tube approaching full travel - so they are on his HT.

I bought some Spank 345 rims, 31.5mm ID.

They are rad.

Also relatively inexpensive compared to the AC stuff.

Laced them up with 2/1.7/2mm spokes onto some Hopes and they are really really cool.

My 2.4 tires now look like mid fats and have SO much traction.

Do it... go wide... wider than a 26mm Arch....

So long as you dont do too heavy riding, the aluminium is very thin to get it stretched out that wide while keeping it light.

A replacement rim is about 2.5x the price of a stans rim. I'd only go for this if you can afford to replace the rim if it gets dented - which will happen way easier on these than an Arch MK3

So long as you dont do too heavy riding, the aluminium is very thin to get it stretched out that wide while keeping it light.

A replacement rim is about 2.5x the price of a stans rim. I'd only go for this if you can afford to replace the rim if it gets dented - which will happen way easier on these than an Arch MK3

Good to know. I am a heavy guy so then AC's may not be the right choice.

I bought some Spank 345 rims, 31.5mm ID.

They are rad.

Also relatively inexpensive compared to the AC stuff.

Laced them up with 2/1.7/2mm spokes onto some Hopes and they are really really cool.

My 2.4 tires now look like mid fats and have SO much traction.

Do it... go wide... wider than a 26mm Arch....

Thanks Jewbacca. So you reckon Smoking guns? Can you give me some more info on the Spank? Where did you have them built? Also looked at South Industries but I am too heavy for those wheels. Been getting Darkhorse a bit from google

My race partner has a set and he likes them- except on his ds bike the profile change to the tire means he gets some light frame rub on the seat tube approaching full travel - so they are on his HT.

That helps. I ride a Camber so the Smoking guns are definately going to cause some rubbing there

I have always liked American classic wheelsets they are light fast rolling and at 100kg I have never broken 1 not even on my HT. And I love the look of the smoking guns if my finance manager would have looked away I would have gone for a set just for the look.

That helps. I ride a Camber so the Smoking guns are definately going to cause some rubbing there

I think with some careful tire choice one would.be fine - maxxis have some versions for very wide rims that should run lower than normal tires on wide rims - at the same width 2.35 odd I think is what he is running on them - but the standard versions - Andre Van Aarde could help from Rush sports- think he is -_rushsports_ on the hub or ImfromEarth

I've been umming and ahhing on on both the Wide Lightning and the Smoking Guns for a while but am unsure of exactly how tough they both are. I've always had AMC's for my road bike as in my mind they are some of the best in the Alu rim business but never had them on my dirt bike.

Everyone I've talked to says they are tough and light but for some reason I'm just not sure for the kind of riding I do. Not sure how the 'guns can be so wide and trail tough. My last few sets of wheels on my MTB have been all spanks and I rate them, currently my 29'r trails are only 26mm internals so I'm looking about for new rims or wheels.

I reckon I'm going to step away from the Spanks for this one (as I'm struggling to find a good price on them) and get some 30mm internal Easton Arcs. Not sure how that will work out but I'm hoping they are as tough as several people have said. 

I've been umming and ahhing on on both the Wide Lightning and the Smoking Guns for a while but am unsure of exactly how tough they both are. I've always had AMC's for my road bike as in my mind they are some of the best in the Alu rim business but never had them on my dirt bike.

Everyone I've talked to says they are tough and light but for some reason I'm just not sure for the kind of riding I do. Not sure how the 'guns can be so wide and trail tough. My last few sets of wheels on my MTB have been all spanks and I rate them, currently my 29'r trails are only 26mm internals so I'm looking about for new rims or wheels.

I reckon I'm going to step away from the Spanks for this one (as I'm struggling to find a good price on them) and get some 30mm internal Easton Arcs. Not sure how that will work out but I'm hoping they are as tough as several people have said. 

FWIW I'm on a set of WTB Asym i35's. I've been very impressed with their toughness, and there is only one dent in the rear. ENTIRELY my fault, as my rear was far too low and I didn't clear a landing. Landing was reinforced with a gum-pole, and it connected PROPERLY. 

It's not lost a smidge of air since then. The extra width is bloody amazing. 

FWIW I'm on a set of WTB Asym i35's. I've been very impressed with their toughness, and there is only one dent in the rear. ENTIRELY my fault, as my rear was far too low and I didn't clear a landing. Landing was reinforced with a gum-pole, and it connected PROPERLY. 

It's not lost a smidge of air since then. The extra width is bloody amazing. 

Ouch... good to know that managed to come through that. Are they 35mm internals? Those WTB's do look proper burly and I've half kept an eye on them to see if a good price came up. 

I am also on the heavy side... so no south rims for me :(

Even the AC wide lightning same story.

I have ridden with a guy riding a set of AC smoking guns, the sound coming from the spokes is a bit scary... I think if you a not a skinny racer do not go AC ( just my opinion)

I bought a set of Marvel carbon rims with Hope pro 4's from CWC.

Had my Chris kings laced to them and must say I have given them a fair share of punishment.

They stay true and with the wider track gives awesome grip and a better ride.

I was a bit scared to go carbon but I must admit, they have a 110kg weight limit, rolls fast and stays true. And they're carbon...

Edited by dewaldsss

Ouch... good to know that managed to come through that. Are they 35mm internals? Those WTB's do look proper burly and I've half kept an eye on them to see if a good price came up.

Yep. Total build price incl hopes and rapide spooks was about 8k. Will be less now with the exchange rate changes. Git them from CRC for 800 a hoop. Shipping was a bit dear though.

Edited by Myles Mayhew