Occasional 'creak' and gear shifting

ByronH

Hey all!

I initially thought the occasional loud CREAK I was getting when kinda pushing it a bit hard was coming from my crank or BB. But after tightening and lubing the crank and BB, the creak is still there and sometimes actually results in a rear derailleur shift.

So I'm thinking it's actually a derailleur or chain problem, not a crank problem... But has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

When was the last time you had your gears set? Could be that you just need to have your gears set again or worst case scenario your chain and cassette is worn, therefore your gears are slipping.

When was the last time you had your gears set? Could be that you just need to have your gears set again or worst case scenario your chain and cassette is worn, therefore your gears are slipping.

Ya I must probably rule out the rear derailleur settings by adjusting the gears again... my cassette doesnt seem worn, but I should also get the chain length checked out... Its been awhile.

Personally I've never heard a 'loud creak' from a chain ..... just me?

Ya, I think... its the chain trying to 'slip' up or down onto the next chainring...

Hey all!

I initially thought the occasional loud CREAK I was getting when kinda pushing it a bit hard was coming from my crank or BB. But after tightening and lubing the crank and BB, the creak is still there and sometimes actually results in a rear derailleur shift.

So I'm thinking it's actually a derailleur or chain problem, not a crank problem... But has anyone else experienced this?

Yep it can be the chain  ...clean the the chain well and lube.

Also check your cluster is tightened properly.

Check your rear skewer.

Definitely. A few weeks ago I had a creak on my single speed which drove me to the brink. Checked everything, BB/headset/rear hub. When I was removing the rear wheel, I noticed the skewer was tight, but not as tight as it should be. Cleaned everything nicely, and made sure skewer was properly tightened. Not a peep out of the bike since. 

Hey all!

Dry cable housing or a bent link in the chain maybe?

Nope, finally discovered after resetting all my gears... Rear derailleur hanging skew. Eish

Archived