[Event] FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic

Stillwater_MTB_Events

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are all here, why don't we all share strategies, tyre pressures, suspension sag, chainring choices, PIN numbers and so on  for the upcoming race. Would be interested to hear what everyone is using  and WHY. 

I will only be doing the 35km due to a long layoff from cycling, but I will be riding with a 34T oval ring on a 1x10 setup. 100mm rear travel (25% sag) with 120mm up front (20% sag) and some 2.3 Specialized tyres, Ground Control at 1.5 bar up front and 1.8 bar Renegade in the rear. 

Thoughts? Tips? 

I realize the 34 tooth is probably too much for this route, but not too  keen on going for a 32 just for one ride

Edit: And weighing in at 87kg

Edited by Rick Sanchez

My setup is 1[34] x11 [11 to 46 ] FSB with maxxis ardent,icon combo at 1.7 Bar .Fork at 100 psi and Shock 200psi .I know i will be using all my gears and definitely the 42 and 46 at the rear .This year it is back to the full monster climb .I have a HT with 32 oval x 11 to 42 ,10 gears setup that will also work 

My setup is 1[34] x11 [11 to 46 ] FSB with maxxis ardent,icon combo at 1.7 Bar .Fork at 100 psi and Shock 200psi .I know i will be using all my gears and definitely the 42 and 46 at the rear .This year it is back to the full monster climb .I have a HT with 32 oval x 11 to 42 ,10 gears setup that will also work 

Although I am only doing the 35km, I am rather worried that I might blow up my legs only having the 36 tooth in the rear.  :wacko:

Although I am only doing the 35km, I am rather worried that I might blow up my legs only having the 36 tooth in the rear.  :wacko:

For those climbs 36 at the back with 34 front is not enough .For the 35km the climbs are short so you might manage .Definitely not enough for the 70 km

70km with single speed running 32/16  :whistling:

Weight 87

2.25 rear at 1.9

2.35 front at 1.6

Edited by karlito

Please tell me it is a fixie as well?  :thumbup:

Hell no! You have to be either insane or Chuck Norris to ride fixie mtb! 

Checking on the tyre pressures that you are running made me think that I am doing something wrong?

I am 68kg and and inflate my 2.25 tyres to 2.0 sometimes 2.1 bar front and rear.

Done it a few times on a fixie  , really not that bad , but 32/16  :eek: now that is just insane .

What ratio were you running? I am busy building the bike but have a 18 as well just in case. 

18 will be better . Done it on 16/32 first time as well . It was a long walk . but I suppose it really depends how hard you can crank those pedals and for how long . Last one was on 32/19 and a few places I wished for a 18 but that was only on the first few km's . 

Checking on the tyre pressures that you are running made me think that I am doing something wrong?

I am 68kg and and inflate my 2.25 tyres to 2.0 sometimes 2.1 bar front and rear.

Too hard, sure you can get away with 1.5 bar

I would suggest running the front a bit softer than the rear. If it works for you then don't worry too much. I used to ride around 2/2.2 but found that the lower pressure gives me more grip and comfort. 

Just keep in mind that it helps to ride cleaner lines with lower pressure, not ideal if you are the type of rider that likes to charge over the rough stuff.